Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLEVELAND U.S. INDOOR CHAMPS 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the track was better than the last few years. Having the carpet laid correctly was a big part. The track was smooth for the first two days. There is always a problem with a sub floor warping as the weather changes. 60 degrees and raining one day and 20 degrees with snow is a big change. It happens at the snowbirds also when a rain storm comes, the next day the track get bumpier, although they must have something figured out last year. Vegas does not change because the weather is very dry and they also do a great job with putting it down.

I have a few suggestions that will help the race day go a little quicker. Changing the order of classes so we do not have to take a break in between 19t and mod. Run it like this maybe:

TC stock
TC mod
1/12 masters
1/12 stock
TC masters
1/12 19t
TC19t
1/12 mod

I think this way you never run the same car back to back and there is less of a chance you will have the same drivers running back to back classes. You can make it different but something like that will help the race go a lot quicker.

The idea of having practice laps from the beginning will make more people happy. Since we practice by heats we can do heats from the beginning like we started to do on Thursday. It will be easier to do transponder checks that way also. Just check them while they are practicing.

That's all I got. Thanks for putting on the race, I know how hard it is to make everyone happy.

Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thank you Indoor Champs crew for a great race. Despite a few issuses, I had lots of fun. Seeing all the pro guys run, talking to vendors, the freebies, and most of all, racing, was more than worth it to come again. Also, about the track surface... Yes, It was bumpy, but I had no problems with it, it made it challenging, and who doesn't like a challenge. It is racing, have fun... I broke my beloved DB12's lower pod plate and didn't have one, so I pulled out my old CRC 3.2R, and spent all weekend doing set up, on a car that I really didn't think was up to par and I wasn't used to driving... and even though I wasn't running the car I was used to, qualified in the H-Main, and couldn't finish one of my mains, I was smiling all the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Constructive comments

A few (hopefully) constructive criticisms from a first time attendee:

1) Get John Catricala from FastCats to bring his lap time printout kiosk down from Canada for the race. This was a really nice addition that they had at the Halloween Classic. Heck, even comp him the entry fees, and I'd bet he'd be willing to do it.

2) Hire a carpenter to design and build the subfloor. Instead of using what looked to be furring strips to lay the subfloor on, build a torsion box out of engineered lumber (no warpage) and use 3/4" tongue and groove plywood instead of OSB. Problem solved. The problem was the subfloor, not the carpet.

3) Invest in the latest RC Scoring Pro software, and some UPSes to back up the power to the scoring system. The scheduling screen sent to the hotel TV system is a DOS based program. And having to "reset the computer" to change the race times from 5 minutes to 8 minutes seems odd, since with RC Scoring Pro you can even change race times on the fly, while the race is running. And have a redundant scoring system so if one does crap out, the data will still be available from the redundant system. Run both at the same time.

4) Buy a new microphone, so that the announcers don't have to yell out lap times. One qualifier I saw, apparently someone was above TQ pace, but since the microphone wasn't working, they didn't even know it until there were only seconds left in the run, and could have gone for it if they would have known. The only indication was that they had just slipped off TQ pace with 10 seconds remaining.

5) How about getting a LCD projector to display the RC Scoring Pro lap times on a wall, so that everyone can see laptimes/positions as the races are being run?

6) On the in house TV channel, couldn't the live timing and scoring information have been displayed instead of the nearly worthless Webcam in the lower left hand corner. The frame rate made that corner of the screen unwatchable anyway.

7) Perform motor tech teardowns of *all* TQ runs. I thought that it was supposed to be automatic for all TQ runs and A Main winners?

8) Mix up the running order for the mains so that there is less down time. Taking repeated 15 minute breaks is boring for the spectators.

9) Promote the race in the local media.The RC world might come to Cleveland, but only those that already know about the race do. Heck, I don't recall even seeing a flyer at several of the local hobbyshops in the area.

10) How about some trackside pitting for local racers? It's tough to swallow $500 in hotel costs if you live can sleep at home at night. You might get a larger local turnout if there was trackside pitting, or at least in one of the conference rooms.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chicky03
I think the track was better than the last few years. Having the carpet laid correctly was a big part. The track was smooth for the first two days. There is always a problem with a sub floor warping as the weather changes. 60 degrees and raining one day and 20 degrees with snow is a big change. It happens at the snowbirds also when a rain storm comes, the next day the track get bumpier, although they must have something figured out last year. Vegas does not change because the weather is very dry and they also do a great job with putting it down.

I have a few suggestions that will help the race day go a little quicker. Changing the order of classes so we do not have to take a break in between 19t and mod. Run it like this maybe:

TC stock
TC mod
1/12 masters
1/12 stock
TC masters
1/12 19t
TC19t
1/12 mod

I think this way you never run the same car back to back and there is less of a chance you will have the same drivers running back to back classes. You can make it different but something like that will help the race go a lot quicker.

The idea of having practice laps from the beginning will make more people happy. Since we practice by heats we can do heats from the beginning like we started to do on Thursday. It will be easier to do transponder checks that way also. Just check them while they are practicing.

That's all I got. Thanks for putting on the race, I know how hard it is to make everyone happy.

Paul
yes I agree with all that .Ihated the A mains at the end with the 15 min break as I said that was the last time for that from now on it will stay like the quals and we will run top to bottom. That way less time to run the mains that way more people can see the mains.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Last edited by RCSteve93; 11-27-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe

1) Get John Catricala from FastCats to bring his lap time printout kiosk down from Canada for the race. This was a really nice addition that they had at the Halloween Classic. Heck, even comp him the entry fees, and I'd bet he'd be willing to do it.

2) Hire a carpenter to design and build the subfloor. Instead of using what looked to be furring strips to lay the subfloor on, build a torsion box out of engineered lumber (no warpage) and use 3/4" tongue and groove plywood instead of OSB. Problem solved. The problem was the subfloor, not the carpet.

3) Invest in the latest RC Scoring Pro software, and some UPSes to back up the power to the scoring system. The scheduling screen sent to the hotel TV system is a DOS based program. And having to "reset the computer" to change the race times from 5 minutes to 8 minutes seems odd, since with RC Scoring Pro you can even change race times on the fly, while the race is running. And have a redundant scoring system so if one does crap out, the data will still be available from the redundant system. Run both at the same time.

4) Buy a new microphone, so that the announcers don't have to yell out lap times. One qualifier I saw, apparently someone was above TQ pace, but since the microphone wasn't working, they didn't even know it until there were only seconds left in the run, and could have gone for it if they would have known. The only indication was that they had just slipped off TQ pace with 10 seconds remaining.

5) How about getting a LCD projector to display the RC Scoring Pro lap times on a wall, so that everyone can see laptimes/positions as the races are being run?

6) On the in house TV channel, couldn't the live timing and scoring information have been displayed instead of the nearly worthless Webcam in the lower left hand corner. The frame rate made that corner of the screen unwatchable anyway.

7) Perform motor tech teardowns of *all* TQ runs. I thought that it was supposed to be automatic for all TQ runs and A Main winners?

8) Mix up the running order for the mains so that there is less down time. Taking repeated 15 minute breaks is boring for the spectators.

9) Promote the race in the local media.The RC world might come to Cleveland, but only those that already know about the race do. Heck, I don't recall even seeing a flyer at several of the local hobbyshops in the area.

10) How about some trackside pitting for local racers? It's tough to swallow $500 in hotel costs if you live can sleep at home at night. You might get a larger local turnout if there was trackside pitting, or at least in one of the conference rooms.
1.actually we were going to do that but just wasn't possible this year

2.Will look into it good idea

3.Rc scoring software was the lastest version as he sent us a update tuesday that seemed to fubar the system .And we are not happy about it.
after the first time the computer went down I went out and got ups for the computer so that's way it only happened once.

4. what happened is the audio actually burned up do to spikes in the hotel power a destroyed lots of stuff. again not happy about that either.

5.I have a dlp one here at the house I will think about that don't know if it's brite enough though.

6.We are working with a person to have a new program up there nexxt year.I talked with him several times during the champs.

7.Lots of tear downs were done I know they did everyone that did a tq or got close on wednesday.and Most if not all on thursday.From what I am told over 600 motors were tore down for the entire event..but I would like to see a few more.

8.Amen already taken care of

9.fair enough I can do that we already have talked to a couple of tv. stations this year but sadly to late I guess they need like 5-6 months or something stupid to be able to do it.

10.The hotel frowns on this like you couldn't believe but I have some idea's just not sure any of them will be liked by hotel and in this case it is up to them not us.

Last edited by bill941; 11-26-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe

John sent a big long email to Mr. Bill explaining his system and offering to bring it, set it up and run it for them in exchange for his two entry fee's for Masters class. It was a nice long 3 page email in full detail. He got the following reply.

"Thanks but we are not interested"

I wasnt there this year as I had to work. It sounds like they did try to make some improvements over the past 2 years that I have been there and that is good. But this race has been going on for 28 years.....It doesnt take that long to figure out exactly what needs to be done. All we can hope for is that they have the race next year and make some more improvements. I am planning on coming back if I can get off work.

EA
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
John sent a big long email to Mr. Bill explaining his system and offering to bring it, set it up and run it for them in exchange for his two entry fee's for Masters class. It was a nice long 3 page email in full detail. He got the following reply.

"Thanks but we are not interested"

I wasnt there this year as I had to work. It sounds like they did try to make some improvements over the past 2 years that I have been there and that is good. But this race has been going on for 28 years.....It doesnt take that long to figure out exactly what needs to be done. All we can hope for is that they have the race next year and make some more improvements. I am planning on coming back if I can get off work.

EA

Well not quite true but what is true is that mr.bill talked to john at champs and has made arangements to have it there next year.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bill941
Well not quite true but what is true is that mr.bill talked to john at champs and has made arangements to have it there next year.
OH so I guess John is a liar....NICE. Perhaps Mr. Bill hasnt showed you the email or his reply.

EA
Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Congrats to all my old friends and especially to the Gate guys who just tore it up this year!!

It was especially awesome to hear that Chicky WON the Champs and I am sure thats one thing we can all agree on!!

Also, to my buddy Rice for running two weekends since last year and bagging his first Champs A Main!!!! Crazy what he could do if he just practiced!!

Anyways you guys get discouraged enough you can quit, buy a bicycle and start racing with me. Its easy compared to this RC racing $hit..... j/k!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
OH so I guess John is a liar....NICE. Perhaps Mr. Bill hasnt showed you the email or his reply.

EA
Yes I know about both emails from what I read it was a bit more Not calling anyone a liar but that's not how It was in the email I saw he wanted some entry fees,banners,and extra night of hotel lodgeing and some other stuff which we really had not much problem with really.But the end the reason mr.bill said that he wanted to talk to john personally before he got involved with anything.
Mr.bill is not the best at sending emails or pm for that matter and they can be looked at in a negative way.

But had nothing to do with what he did or didn't want

Last edited by bill941; 11-26-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't have much to add. Carbon Joe pretty much summed it up. Just one more thing no more paragon!

chuck
Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey all:If cuffs wasn't running his serpent then why and what did he use for touring car?Also which rc america/x-ray factory guys now use trinity?Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mackin
Don't have much to add. Carbon Joe pretty much summed it up. Just one more thing no more paragon!

chuck
Man no love for paragon lol
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gsracer
we will see u next year i hope for gods sake they dont see you next year you winny little __ __ __ __ !

nice....very constructive..and as well Mr. Rc500, how did you like the event gentlmen....?

or were your 2 cents spent.....

Idiots....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.