Which discharger is the BEST?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which discharger is the BEST?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which discharger is the BEST?????

I am currently looking into buying an individual cell discharger,but am really confused what to buy.I had read people have problems with the much-more ones and I thought that would be the best.Please let ne know about your dischargers and what u guys recommend.Thanks for all the info and tips everybody.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No problems with my MM.. best discharger i have ever used.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

i have a mm and no probs with it
the trinity dpd works ok as a discharger but dont match with it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

From what I understand, you want to discharge at a similar rate as driving on the track.

That said, I was discharging with my Intellipeak charger @ 10A and my Ice also @ 10A, maybe a little low for good batt health.

I have recently purchased a Trinity Zero-30 discharger. After using it for a few weeks and agressively cycling all my batts, I have really noticed a modest performance increase in the cells.

Discharging @ 30A constant, would seem to be the best way. I currently have several other threads looking into a battery re-matcher. I currently run 4 cars out of my pit box and next season anticipate running six! (darned kids!) So, I want to have the capability to keep the batts in prime shape for the next upcoming season.

If my threories are askew, please chime in...

Allan
Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with everything you say but 30 amps constant may end up getting your batteries quite hot while the DPD does 30 amp pulse which keeps the pack nice and cool. That is what I would go with.
Michael
Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had two CTX-D's ver 1's, both had problems and needed to be sent back to Much More for repairs, I also never did trust the readings they gave, so I sold them both and recently purchased a Trinity DPD. I have not had a chance to use the Trinity DPD yet.

What I liked about the CTX-D's were the 30amp pulse discharge, the 5amp linear discharge and the adjustable voltage cut-off. These features kept the batteries cool during discharge, worked well to equalize the pack before charging and kept my packs performing well as they aged.

My hope is the Trinity DPD will do those three functions well, without having to worry about it having to be sent in for repairs, in addition the battery power feature can keep clutter at the pit table to a minimum.

I also have a Integy Zero 30 discharger, it works well for bringing down packs quickly, but the heat on the batteries is rough over the long-term, since switching to the pulse dischargers I have noticed better performance from my newer and older battery packs. I keep my Zero Thirty for emergency purposes only.

Bottom line, a 30 amp pulse discharger with voltage cutoff would be my first choice, if the Trinity can do the job at half the price of the MM CTX-D then that would be my recommendation, in the coming weeks I will be able to report on the performance diffenences between the Trinty and Much More products. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've read that the DPD takes a very long time to discharge a pack, up to 2 hours in some cases because of the pulse and trying to minimize heat. While discharging at 30 amps is good for your packs isn't discharging that slowly a downside? If so does the benefit of discharging at 30 amps outweigh the time it takes?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

ive had my mm ctx-d v1 discharger for ages and so far have had no problems with it at all!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
I've read that the DPD takes a very long time to discharge a pack, up to 2 hours in some cases because of the pulse and trying to minimize heat. While discharging at 30 amps is good for your packs isn't discharging that slowly a downside? If so does the benefit of discharging at 30 amps outweigh the time it takes?
if the pack takes 2 hours on a dpd then they prob have a dead cell or very poorly matched pack

mine takes about 40 minutes to discharge 4000mh
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

If a 5 minute race discharges a pack and creates heat, then why is it so terrible to complete the discharge at the same rate? I can bring a cooled down pack from a race down to no lites on the discharger in 3 to 5 minutes, ten minutes tops with my 4200s. Then its off to my equalizer tray.

Are we talking two different processes here?

The battery doesn't know if its in a car or in a discharger...cycling a batt is a completely different process.

Allan
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

The worst enemy of batteries is heat and running your battery in a race isn't the best thing for the battery. although pulse discharging does take a while you should not discharge your pack after your race. You only need to discharge it at the end of the day.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GymBeam
if the pack takes 2 hours on a dpd then they prob have a dead cell or very poorly matched pack

mine takes about 40 minutes to discharge 4000mh
yup .. that's exactly my experience.
on 1 of my 3700s practice packs (battery no longer matching as well) .. it can take up to 2 hrs or more. on my matched 4200s, it will discharge it around 40 mins ..
Once a weak battery in the pack reaches the cut-off rate, the DPD will discharge the whole pack at a much lower rate.(can’t remember .. was it 0.5A? hence taking a much, much longer time).