Wiki Posts
Search

bearing treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default bearing treatment

So any tips on treating bearings? I want to take the grease out and then use some other lube to maximize roll. Thanks in advance....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tmachine
So any tips on treating bearings? I want to take the grease out and then use some other lube to maximize roll. Thanks in advance....
very light bearing oil, relube every few runs or at least once per meet. Clean as often as you can, if not relube as often as you can.

thicker oil goes longer between runs and excludes more dirt.

grease is even better but more rolling resistance.

personally I lube with very light bearing oil as often as I feel is needed to keep them clean and free. very light oil seeps past the seals into bearings so i do it on the car. so far I have had good success keeping them in good shape.

PS I have standard bearings not ceramic.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After degreasing, soak your bearings in warm slick 50 automatic transmission treatment for an hour or so. Take them out and lay 'em on a paper towel to drain, flipping them over every so often. They are ready to go in the car when they no longer spot the paper towel. If you are running sealed or shielded bearings in dirt, remove the seal/shield from one side and run the open side facing in. If you are running on carpet or some other on road surface, take out both seals/shields. This means more frequent cleaning/maintenance, but will give you the least rolling resistance from your bearings.