Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05) >

Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:26 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)

It seems like I just can't get this car to not glitch on my. I have tried every location of electronics possible and the car still has a severe glitch in it. I have tried moving the receiver on the servo, behind the motor, standing up in between the motor and receiver and nothing works. I have also tried a different receiver but they both produce the same results. I have also tried 3 different sets of crystals.

When I took the car to my local hobby shop, but the only advice they gave me was to get a new 2.4gHz system. I have compared my car to other TA05s and everyone has the same setup that I do.

My electronies are a Novak GTX, Novak XXL FM 75mHz, Checkpoint 19t, Futaba S9550 servo, and Futaba Magnum 3PDF radio.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

It could be the actual radio if you are getting all of these problems with different locations and crystals, as well as receivers. I do know that the servo turnbuckle is mounted incorrectly because of the way it looks in the pictures. You should mount the ball stud facing the rear of the car so that steering rod lines up better.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does that reciever take crystals? They can fail over time. Have you tried another reciever combo, just to check that it isn't that either.

Dodgy connections can also cause RF noise, as well as poor soldered joints.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Try this. Click the pic.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05.jpg  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:29 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice, I will try it and get back to the track next week where I hope it will last more than 30 minutes.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the solder out of the holes for the wires on the GTX?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

FM you shouldn't have this much problems, but... I have made an AM radio as glitch proof as I could (then I went DSM). For what it's worth, here is what all I did:

My major helps
- Try other receiver, etc, make sure it's not the equipment....
- Stand receiver on end or side with antenna end off chassis high as possible.
- Get receiver as far away as possible from ESC, motor and battery. My car had top plate and I put it on the front of the top plate. May sound crazy, but you might succeed up near the front bumper (not kidding).
- Keep the antenna wire away from the chassis and anything else conductive and/or RF noise. To do this, take your body reamer and carefully poke a hole in the side of your antenna tube, just big enough for the wire to enter, about 1 to 1.5 inches above the base, at a 45 to 60 degree upward angle. This way the antenna wire never touches or gets near the carbon fiber chassis.
- twist your battery wires together. there is an electromagnetic field between the + and -.
- make sure there is at least 2 good thick layers of servo tape under receiver.
- make sure receiver does not touch any carbon fiber on body anywhere

Minor helps, things that might help a bit
- make sure batteries are not shorting on carbon fiber chassis anywhere
- make sure receiver is not affected by servo (metal gears can cause glitching)
- make sure all metal to metal contact is well lubed, believe it or not this can cause problems.
- of course make sure your 19T motor is in good shape, not too much brush arcing... if it gets better after a comm cut and new brushes that's a clue.
- some people used to wrap the receiver and antenna base in aluminum foil. i never found this to help (carbon fiber chassis).
Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looking again at your pictures, I think keeping antenna well away from chassis (antenna through side of tube trick) is most critical. I would try that first, then test receiver on top of servo again. Next to motor is hardest to avoid interference, farther away the better.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

I will post a pic of my 05 with the GTX installed in it as soon as I find my camera.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Do you guys use 12 gauge or 14 gauge wires with the GTX? I have issues trying to use 12 gauge like I would like the the holes the size they are.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarKing
Do you guys use 12 gauge or 14 gauge wires with the GTX? I have issues trying to use 12 gauge like I would like the the holes the size they are.
Use 14 Guage wire, it will be much easier to solder the connections.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05_1.jpg   Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05_2.jpg   Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05_4.jpg   Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05_5.jpg   Severe Radio Glitching Help (Tamiya TA05)-ta05_6.jpg  

Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf_racer
Use 14 Guage wire, it will be much easier to solder the connections.
Even with 19t motors? Wouldn't it be much better to go with 12 gauge for better power transfer?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Chack your capacitors! my TC4 Only cam with 1 so they sent me a new motor from america and it had 3 capacitors so sheck them
Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Had a brand new 2PL do that to me, was a faulty transmitter in the end.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

When my GT7 was on the way out, the motor would run stop start eratically and the steering would go back and forth like crazy.

Try another speed control.

Turns out one of the FET's was sending interference through to the receiver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.