Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air!! Nitro Off-Road Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default Air!! Nitro Off-Road Video

I've been shooting a lot of other forms of R/C racing but this is my first off-road video. Trugs and Bugs getting lots of AIR. Taken at N-Control Raceway Austin Tx.

Embedded

www.promofo-racing.org/Air.html

Download the video

www.promofo-racing.org/video/NCApr28/Air.wmv

Griz
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Very nice.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default Perfect place to practice my slo-mo skillz

I love doing slo-mo video. Took me months to get it figured out. I'm going to video one of the R/C Pro Series races in San Antonio next weekend and since I hadn't done an off-road video before I figured I better get some practice

Griz
Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default Nice!! Here are some more crazy racing videos!

Nice vids..

Here are some more crazy awsome vids to watch!

http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx

Free and no downloading needed!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice vid, but you should keep the background sounds in next time, I missed them still a very nice job nonetheless!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thats a problem with slo mo

Yea but there is a big problem doing that. If you do slo-mo it deletes the sound for that section. So you end up with a lot of dead air on the ambient sounds. I have been trying to figure out a way to separate the audio tracks so I can make some filler tracks to blend into those spaces. I've almost got it working but its still pretty noticable. Liquid will stretch the audio but then it gets out of synch with anything coming after it cause it uses the sound from tracks behind the one you are turning into slo-mo. Its taken me since I started working on them in Oct to get the slow motion stuff right. Now I'm working on getting the camera more steady and ambient sound. The camera part is pretty easy. Buy a real camera instead of a handheld. At some point I hope to have a library of ambinent sound for any type of R/C car, as I video lots of different stuff, that I can insert. Yesterday was all about getting some practice for the Pro Series race coming next weekend. I'd never video'd an off-road race before so I was kinda scared I wouldn't be able to keep the cars in the frame.

Griz
Old 04-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hi res version

I encoded a higher res version with less compression. It won't stream as its a 2mb/sec stream. But its available to download if you would like a copy. Sharper and with better color.

www.promofo-racing.org/video/NCApr28/Air-V2.wmv

Griz
Old 04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, the ambient effects library would definitely be something to think about.

On the other hand - I'm not familiar w/ cameras, but I've made gaming videos, and it's very possible to play two sound tracks at once, without forcing them to blend in (w/ Vegas 6/7 atleast - what are you using anyway?)

As far as quality goes...these are pretty good...but there's some extremely nice codecs out there.

Try the X264/XviD codecs and use VirtualDub to encode an uncompressed AVI. The colors may be affected somewhat, but the video/sound quality can be unmatched when used properly.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Default I use a lot of stuff

I've done a few with ambient sound. I had to make the video without the slo-mo put it out as a fuse file without embedding the audio putting it out as a separate file. Then you go back and do the slo-mo writing down the inpoints and outpoints so you can reload the sound and get the sounds to match those in out points. You end up with lots of audio tracks. I use Liquid 7 for editing and Canopus Procoder to do the encoding. I used to use other encoders but I got tired of people having problems viewing them. I also use some PD software vdub avsynth dscaler for various things. One of my tricks is to use one of the PD programs to make the video 60fps by pulling both frames out of the interlaced frame. I start off with that. Then just set the parts that are real time to 60 fps. Take the 60fps and play it back at 30 fps and you have 50% speed reduction without any computer procesing or the artifacts that it sometimes produces. The slowest parts of mine are generally 20% of real time. So to go to the slowest speed I use doesn't take that much computer processing thus less artifacts. I just picked up Fieldskit by AE:Vision Research. I'll probally drop canopus in favor of this method to deinterlace. It does an excellent job. The adaptive deinterlace filter in Canopus is very good but fieldskit is better. You can set it up to examine up to 5 frames ahead and behind the frame being deinterlaced to get everything right. You can use a motion mask or do the whole frame. I've experimented with the masks a bit. Seems to me you would want to do R/C races that way since the cars are small and thats whats moving and your primary interest. I've seen it mess up a few things that seem to confuse it. But all in all its a really sweet filter. My biggest problem is camera shake. I'm old and my hands shake a bit. With the mini hand helds its hard to keep em still when you are zoomed up. I tried using a tripod but trying to work the handle to follow the car and then try and zoom with the other hand just doesn't work for me. I tried taking the handle off the tripod and just using my hand in the camera strap to move it. That works better since your finger is right on the zoom button. I've had some success with that method except when the cars get really close and you have to point the camera up and down as well as the sweep as the car goes past you. That is more of a problem shooting dirt oval which I do most of the time. I just branched out into the other forms. On-road the week before last and off-road and on-road last weekend. Every form of racing has its own can of worms I got started by accident almost. I was taking the camera and setting it up in the corner so I could analyse my car after the races. One night my car broke early. So I picked up the camera and tried following the cars. It was pretty easy so I started filming the races I wasn't driving in. Then the bug really hit and I loaded up on software and did a lot of research. That was last October. They started looking pretty good around January. I figure by the time October rolls around this year they should be really good

Griz