Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The P8.0R 08 instructions, which can be downloaded at http://www.motonica-usa.com/support.html are among the best instructions I have ever seen. The setup built into the build is better suited for Euro style tracks and made the car very/too easy to drive with a definite push on our high bite point and shoot tracks, so yes the instructions do allow the car to "drive" well enough to learn more about the car. It did not take long for us to come up with setups that worked better on our tracks, and this information was made available to all. I expect the P81 manual to do the same or similar.

Now if the reason why someone chooses to buy a certain 1/8th on road car is because the manual will give them the perfect setup for all tracks, they should stick to off road RTR monster trucks.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

This is a very interesting thing. I'm racing with motonica almost 2.5 years, I have all the cars since the very beginning. I found nothing wrong or missing about instructions. When some people 'talk' about motonica's instructions, they should first build and race with the car. The instructions are available as a download on Motonica web site, all people, who wonder about them can take a look easly.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here at our place.. thats the 1st thing people said about motonica.. hard to service etc etc. But this people are not the owner of the car.. just by looking at their friends wrenching.

My place, I am surrounded by all the 'snakes' but this does not deter me from buying and racing the car. I found it very easy to drive and i can push it. The stock setup, in my opinion, is really grippy on the rear and that's why it pushes when on throttle... just a simple setup changes on the back end, like the shim from 2mm to 0mm.. already the tail happy to turn in the corner.. and of coz all depends on yer driving style..

For me, it suits me and I have no regret using it. Sadly, well just my opinion, the new one P81 is more look alike with the others... this saddened the fact that it is now not unique ... oh well... the old but still new P8.08R is still performing as I wish so, no need change there.

Motonica... go go go!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by garen
The P8.0R 08 instructions, which can be downloaded at http://www.motonica-usa.com/support.html are among the best instructions I have ever seen. The setup built into the build is better suited for Euro style tracks and made the car very/too easy to drive with a definite push on our high bite point and shoot tracks, so yes the instructions do allow the car to "drive" well enough to learn more about the car. It did not take long for us to come up with setups that worked better on our tracks, and this information was made available to all. I expect the P81 manual to do the same or similar.

Now if the reason why someone chooses to buy a certain 1/8th on road car is because the manual will give them the perfect setup for all tracks, they should stick to off road RTR monster trucks.
I totally agree with that, the instructions are very clear and the car is very easy to built.
The only thing that takes a little more time, i think, is changing the roll-centre.
But you can change that by cutting an openening in these roll-centre shims like Scotty does, and than you can change it very fast.
I will still drive the P8.0R2008 this year, unless the P81 proves to be quicker, than i change.
Greetz Stefan.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I got some more info on the P81 transmission. The clutch, spur gears, 2 speed, middle belt, dogbones, axles, one way are all the same, the major difference is the brake, rear, and side pulleys. The new pulleys change the internal drive ratio to allow for better acceleration and deceleration by reducing the layshaft revolution rate- less effort needed to spin them to a higher rpm and also to slow them back down.

The official statement: we chose this ratio because it helps the acceleration. For example: on a comparison basis for the same level of speed, the transmission axels make less revolutions, therefore you are advantaged in reaching the maximum speed and also have a more efficient braking power, because it takes less effort and time to slow down an axle that turns at 900 revolutions than one that turns at 1000.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got some more info on the P81 transmission. The clutch, spur gears, 2 speed, middle belt, dogbones, axles, one way are all the same, the major difference is the brake, rear, and side pulleys. The new pulleys change the internal drive ratio to allow for better acceleration and deceleration by reducing the layshaft revolution rate- less effort needed to spin them to a higher rpm and also to slow them back down.

The official statement: we chose this ratio because it helps the acceleration. For example: on a comparison basis for the same level of speed, the transmission axels make less revolutions, therefore you are advantaged in reaching the maximum speed and also have a more efficient braking power, because it takes less effort and time to slow down an axle that turns at 900 revolutions than one that turns at 1000.
Wow, awesome news Garen!

Now I am anxious to build/play with the car!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Garen,

Is it also possible to use this ratio on the P8.0R2008?
The gear ratio now on the P8.0R2008 is the same as Mugen, isn't it?
So it's not that bad.
Greetz Stefan.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

I was thinking the same thing. The pulleys on the P8.0R 08 are the same as Mugen and I think Kyosho as well, so the drive ratio is the same too. I don't know if it will be possible to install the new pulleys on the P8.0R 08. The front and rear belts are not the same- perhaps the distance between the front one way and mid layshaft is different so the front belt is not the same, and because the pulleys in the rear are different in the rear, therefore the belt is not the same. When I receive the parts I will look into this.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was thinking the same thing. The pulleys on the P8.0R 08 are the same as Mugen and I think Kyosho as well, so the drive ratio is the same too. I don't know if it will be possible to install the new pulleys on the P8.0R 08. The front and rear belts are not the same- perhaps the distance between the front one way and mid layshaft is different so the front belt is not the same, and because the pulleys in the rear are different in the rear, therefore the belt is not the same. When I receive the parts I will look into this.
Thanks Garen,
We'll see how this new ratio will work, and if it will fix on the P8.0R2008.
Greetz Stefan.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Suspended

when is this car coming out?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OILMAN
when is this car coming out?
You can order one now. I just paid for mine today!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Cars are ready and about to ship out of Italy any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Cars are ready and about to ship out of Italy any day.
argh... not fast enough...

Maybe if I freeze myself... hmmm... How did Cartmen do it on South Park?

Hey Garen, I have a question about tires. What brand tires fit on this car? Serpent? Mugen? Kyosho? I am just wondering in case there comes that point in time where I need to make an emergency purchase at the track.

Last edited by HarryN; 03-05-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HarryN
argh... not fast enough...

Maybe if I freeze myself... hmmm... How did Cartmen do it on South Park?

Hey Garen, I have a question about tires. What brand tires fit on this car? Serpent? Mugen? Kyosho? I am just wondering in case there comes that point in time where I need to make an emergency purchase at the track.
Pirelli P-Zero 265-25-19 in the rear and 235-35-19 in the front

(mugen and kyosho works, and you can kill time by eating sushi instead of freezing yourself!)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

The Pirelli's are good, but if you can't find them, then any Kyosho/Mugen/Serpent OS2 wheel will fit. I do carry the X-Tyres and I might also pick up the Cosmic tire line as well.
The axle pins on the P8.0R 08 were longer than those used on the other cars, so if you wanted to run anything other than the X-Tyres, you had to cut about 2mm off the pins (very easy to do with rotary tool). However, I believe the P81 will come with shorter pins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.