1/8th scale Motonica >

1/8th scale Motonica

1/8th scale Motonica

Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Motonica

Originally Posted by Scottyoo
Hi guys ,hows it going?Im a factory Motonica driver here in the US and will be at the nats if anyone needs some help with things. On the parts situation, competitionproducts has them and will continue to get more in as this car continues to grow in interest. The guy to talk to there is Luther and he will be more than happy to help you. I have couple of things I have found on the car that you guys might like. First is the brake arm, If you will take a con washer from a engine mount and put it on top of the arm, it stiffens it up a bit and its a little more positive. Also on the tab that this arm pushes against when the gas is applied, put a small set screw to take out all the lash so the arm doesnt have to travel so far.Set up stuff I can pm to you all if u want. Anyhow, mail me if anyone needs anything..

Scotty Barrera
Scotty, you have a PM
Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default pm

Brett you have pm.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottyoo
Brett you have pm.
Scotty, Dude I wanted to say thanks for your help at the Nats this last week. I was cool to finally meet you and the crew you were with. If you don't recognize my "Serpentd" name, this is Darren from Colorado. You know, the long hair guy that was in your trailer every now and then for parts and questions.
I know you had a busy week at this race, so maybe we can catch up more at the next race. In the mean time, feel free to PM me and I'll do the same just to keep in touch.
Also, please tell Ron and his pops hey for me. (I suck with names) but it was the dudes you were in the trailer with. Some good people there and I missed saying goodbye in person. So I was bumbed about that. But well cross paths again.
I definately LOVE my MOTONICA!! Damn that's such a SUPER STRONG car with never ending traction. This was the 3rd time I got to race it and only my first time on a high traction surface. All I can say is WOW!! I honestly can't remember the last time I finished all 6 qualifiers and the main without ANY hurt or broken parts. I think the only insident I had was 1 bent pivot ball. But couldn't be happier with my car. Now my driving is a different story. I think my pain medication I take for my back is playing a roll in my inconsistant driving. But regardless, I'm not making excuses, just foreseeing what I need to do to improve my driving. No meds and severe pain, or medication and half ass driving? It's a drag.

Well, as usual I am on the beginning of a short novel, sorry guys. I do have one question for you Scotty, or anyone that would like to shed some light for me about the roll center options. My situation at the high bite track was that the car had TOO much traction, mosty in the rear. No matter what I did to dial it out, nothing trully worked. The car would chatter around the sharper slower turns. Mostly the 180's. I couldn't get the car to pivot smoothly. A quick run down of my set up is as follows:

40 shore on all 4 corners, flat sway bar on front and rear, Mugen white shock springs all around with 500 Motonica shock oil all the way around. Also I used a 6mm spread on the tires rather then 7 and used the stock 26t front side pulley.

Front of car:

1. Droop +2
2. between 2 and 2.5 camber on L & R
3. Caster was ALL clips in rear, then tried a 2mm up front once to take some caster out
4. Top roll center/Zero (0) spacers
5. Bottom roll center/2 mm spacers on both pivots of front lower arm
6. .5-1.0 toe out
7. 7mm ride height

Rear of car:

1. Droop +6 first 3 qualies then +8 for the remainder of race
2. Camber was Minimum 3.0 degrees. Was up to 4.5 at one point
3. Roll center both top and bottom had the stock 2mm spacers in all 8 pivot points. Never tried taking any out. Plus didn't have any of the 1mm spacers on hand at all.
4. Started with 2.0 of rear toe. Ended up at just .5 degrees of rear toe in.
5. 8mm ride height

The car had all the steering I could ever want both on and off throttle. And as I stated, the forward and side traction was 100% stuck to the ground. Nothing slid at all. LOT and LOTS of grip!

The Body I used for the 6 qualifiers was the Protoform Shadow. I think this was one of my big issues. But it works KILLER for my club racing. But that is low to medium grip parking lot track. This body has MEGA down force! For the mains the following day I switched to an older 2006 Protoform Lola stlyle body. Not sure the type of body. Anyway, after I switched bodies I could finally pitch out the rear end. Actually more then I wanted. But I think the track being "prepared" for the mains actually screwed up the traction as EVERYONE for the most part was having slower lap times and traction issues. So I'm not 100% sure how much the body actually effected the handleing. I should have changed bodies sooner, or stuck with the Shadow. Either way it was a stupid decision I made, but it taught me a valuble lesson. After all I'm still learning this car.

Sorry for the long post, plus I hope it made some sence what my issues were and what would the roll centers have done to help out?
Thanks for everyones help here and again thanks to Scotty and all the other Motonica drivers that took the time to give me a hand. It was very cool!
Later everyone!!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

I finally build my car and realize that how this car is so low. When I install a standard protoform lola body, the fuel tanks head goes out of the body only 3mm. And the front shock tower is so low, it can not touch the body ever.( there is a massive 8mm distance between shock tower and the body) I love this car...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
I finally build my car and realize that how this car is so low. When I install a standard protoform lola body, the fuel tanks head goes out of the body only 3mm. And the front shock tower is so low, it can not touch the body ever.( there is a massive 8mm distance between shock tower and the body) I love this car...
I hear ya bro!! I love mine as well. Wait till you get to drive your beast. So deepfree-z, where are you from? Me personally, I live in Colorado. It's nice here, but we lack a permanent track to play on. However we are lucky enough to have a club in Colorado Springs with some GREAT people and drivers. Me being the ONLY Motonica guy of coarse. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got your car finished. Let us know what you think after your first few races. Best of luck to you bro. Later!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Serpentd, yes I have finished my car but can't find any chance to drive it yet. We don't have a permanent track too, and this car needs a good permanent track to test! I think I can go 1 week later to an another city to test my car, I will inform you how will be the test. By the way do you have any setup alternatives to test? My test track is quite big and has medium bite.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-g%F6r%FCnt006.jpg  
Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
Thanks Serpentd, yes I have finished my car but can't find any chance to drive it yet. We don't have a permanent track too, and this car needs a good permanent track to test! I think I can go 1 week later to an another city to test my car, I will inform you how will be the test. By the way do you have any setup alternatives to test? My test track is quite big and has medium bite.
Dude, your car looks great man! You should have plenty of traction on a medium bite track. This car has more traction then anything I have driven or seen driven. You might end up running harder tires then the rest of the field actually. But anyway, let us know how your first outing is whenever that may be. Good luck bro! Later.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default Motonica Rally Chassis

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this one.

Say hello to my little friend!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Scroll down more Motonica pics http://www.rcbazar.net/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=845
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Bi-Power Motonica???? http://www.rcbazar.net/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=580
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Photoshopped!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smac
Photoshopped!
....i sure thought it looked funny..........
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM
LCM
Tech Initiate

Hello everybody, i´m writing from Spain, and i´m glad to know that Motonica is racing well in the States. Here in Spain, Motonica is doing well, nowadays, we aren´t a lot of cars in the races, 7 or 8 out of a total of 75 or 80 drivers in every race, but the performance is superb, because there is ever a Motonica in every main final.
I´ve been reading all the things that you, in the states, are feeling about the car, the advantages and disadvantages, the problems and the solutions, and i´d like to ask you one question about the body shells that you are using in the chassis. Here in Spain, we are mostli using the Protoform, Kyosho or the new one from Serpent, the Central, and with all of them, i´ve had problems whith the frotnt upper suspension arms touching the body shell. Do you have the same problem?, if you does, how have you solved it?

Every answer would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LCM
Hello everybody, i´m writing from Spain, and i´m glad to know that Motonica is racing well in the States. Here in Spain, Motonica is doing well, nowadays, we aren´t a lot of cars in the races, 7 or 8 out of a total of 75 or 80 drivers in every race, but the performance is superb, because there is ever a Motonica in every main final.
I´ve been reading all the things that you, in the states, are feeling about the car, the advantages and disadvantages, the problems and the solutions, and i´d like to ask you one question about the body shells that you are using in the chassis. Here in Spain, we are mostli using the Protoform, Kyosho or the new one from Serpent, the Central, and with all of them, i´ve had problems whith the frotnt upper suspension arms touching the body shell. Do you have the same problem?, if you does, how have you solved it?

Every answer would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
yep...........

you can let the body touching the suspension arm..........

but if you want to solve that just shim the front body posts to raise the front end of the bodyshell a little bit.......
Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
LCM
Tech Initiate

That´s right, but that way, you changes the aerodinamics prpperties of the body. The lower the body is the best penetration, the best cornering and the lower the center of gravity is, and that plays a big roll in performance.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.