Wiki Posts
Search

Polishing Shocks Please Look!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Default Polishing Shocks Please Look!

HEY Y'ALL,
IM PISSED OFF. ON WWW.ULTIMATETRAXXAS.COM, THE JANG POLISHED THE SHOCKS ON SOMETHING, I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS ON, BUT I WANNA TRY. ANYONE TELL ME HOW? I GOT THE EASY OFF FOR IT, I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW... ANY HELP IS BITCHIN'
THANKX
Old 04-09-2003, 08:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I dont understand why you are pissed off, but thats beside the point. I dont know what shocks you have, but most likely they are teflon coated, you dont need the coating on the outside, but you definately want it on the inside. Block off the inside of the shock body somehow, then coat the shocks with the EZ Off. (you will want to spray them in a metal pan that you dont care about, because this stuff will likely stain that pan forever) After letting them sit a few minutes, get a wire brush and see if you can scrub the anodizing off, be careful with how long you let them sit in the EZ Off, because if they are in it too long, it will start eating into the aluminum. (and leaves nasty looking pits) Once you get all of the anodizing off the shocks, just polish them on a bench grinder with a buffing attachment, be sure to use a good amount of polish so you can get the job done in the least amount of time, with the least amount of aluminum getting scrubbed off the shock. Good Luck
Old 04-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

probably the best way to remove the coating would be keep them assy, asuming they dont leak, drano crystals removes the coating or anodizing much easier than oven cleaner. drano in a plastic cantainer and cold water per directions on the can, 5 to 10 minutes it turns like grayish blackish take a 3m scotch brite to clean them then a little mag wheel polish and whola chrome shinny finish looks awsome and much easier than oven cleaner that stuyff is nasty..
hope it helps ya

http://www.frantec.com.au/forums/index.php
Old 04-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

I remember when it was "cool" to remove the gold finish on the RC10 tub chassis with over cleaner. Oh those were the days.........
Old 04-09-2003, 07:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Those truely were the days, racing was just more fun then...
Old 04-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Amen to that.......