Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

Murnan Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I may be interested in a "Murnan Modified Sirio Evo 3 STI". Maybe full ceramic or not. But is this the Ifmar version or the Efra version? I have to race following the efra rules in europe.

Is the cranckshaft the only difference between efra en ifmar version?

Andy
Old 12-19-2006, 05:12 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by andyr74
I may be interested in a "Murnan Modified Sirio Evo 3 STI". Maybe full ceramic or not. But is this the Ifmar version or the Efra version? I have to race following the efra rules in europe.

Is the cranckshaft the only difference between efra en ifmar version?

Andy
EFRA has changed the rules as of November 2006 to match IFMAR rules, so there is no longer the restriction on cranckshafts. That's a good move because now engines are the same all over the world (except England, which I think will keep BRCA rules as old EFRA rules).

AFM
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm
EFRA has changed the rules as of November 2006 to match IFMAR rules, so there is no longer the restriction on cranckshafts. That's a good move because now engines are the same all over the world (except England, which I think will keep BRCA rules as old EFRA rules).

AFM
Finally! Now they can experience some real HP over there. Just kidding. That is good news though. Why would England not convert to be with the rest of the world?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by doki_doki
Will follow your advice. Placed an order for the nova 6 fin conical manifold with 2630 pipe Would you happen to know what benefits does one get using a larger diameter crankshaft of 11.9mm as compared to the 11.5mm? Thanks
I think it is a little performance and a lot of marketing. The crankshaft has a slightly larger inner bore with the new 11.9 outer bore. The crankshaft has slightly more timing. The balance is better with the new crank. Also you have to now buy Novarossi Genuine bearings to fit the engine. No one else makes the 11.9 yet that I know of. Why not just go to 12mm? So you have to buy the Nova bearings. The new engine also has a new head button with O ring to keep out dirt from the head button area.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Diesel Racer
I've decided I'm going to treat myself to a Murnan engine with full ceramic bearings in the New Year but can't decide out of the following and wonder if anyone can advise?

OS TZ 12 3 Port - I fancy this because it's a little different to the norm here in the UK, but wonder how it stacks up against the modified Nova's and Sirio's in terms of performance and reliability.

Novarossi Plus 12-3 CT - I've always liked Nova's for their performance and reliability but they're not always the easiest to tune.

Sirio Evo III STi - I know some guys have had issues with the crankshaft on the standard engines, can only assume this would be worse on a modified engine, I believe also that the AAC construction yields more power than ABC but it not as long lasting.

Any news yet on a modified RB Matrix R?

I would personally choose the Full Ceramic +12, or LS3. The OSTZ is also fast, but not as durable as the Novarossi engines. The new STI Sirio is much more reliable. The rod is heavier duty, cranks are holding up too. The Evo 3 STI is only ABC. I will be stocking the Matrix engine pretty soon now.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Top +12-3SCT Engine now in stock

We now have the Novarossi Top +12-3SCT 11.9mm crankshaft engine in stock. Sirio pipes are back in stock too.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grinder
We now have the Novarossi Top +12-3SCT 11.9mm crankshaft engine in stock. Sirio pipes are back in stock too.

Would that be the modified engine?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

I think it is a little performance and a lot of marketing. The crankshaft has a slightly larger inner bore with the new 11.9 outer bore. The crankshaft has slightly more timing. The balance is better with the new crank. Also you have to now buy Novarossi Genuine bearings to fit the engine. No one else makes the 11.9 yet that I know of. Why not just go to 12mm? So you have to buy the Nova bearings. The new engine also has a new head button with O ring to keep out dirt from the head button area.
Thanks Will be breaking in the engine pretty soon Which method of engine break-in do you usually recommend? WOT or the conventional one?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

I would personally choose the Full Ceramic +12, or LS3. The OSTZ is also fast, but not as durable as the Novarossi engines. The new STI Sirio is much more reliable. The rod is heavier duty, cranks are holding up too. The Evo 3 STI is only ABC. I will be stocking the Matrix engine pretty soon now.
Grinder

Thanks for the insight, can you confirm whether the ceramic bearings have rubber dust shields or are they unshielded?

Also is the Matrix likely to be in within the next month?

Regards, Mark
Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

I have seen the Novarossi 12-3ct run with the 2630 pipe and the header that come with it at the great lakes race. That set up would of made the lower B main in 1/8 4 wheel drive I can't remeber how was driveing it or what car it was just know what the motor and pipe was couldn't beleave it was not mod. I saw some of them on E-Bay for sale and they where at a go price
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm going to get at Sirio Evo III STi, but the question is to get it stock or Mod? I hear this motor in the mod form has some issue with the crank, is this correct? I'm asking....
Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

been hearing alot about EVO3's quality problem. conrod and crankshaft pretty much snap off very easily. so thats y i still dun have the courage to get this engine, even though i know its pretty fierce.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by uniquexme
been hearing alot about EVO3's quality problem. conrod and crankshaft pretty much snap off very easily. so thats y i still dun have the courage to get this engine, even though i know its pretty fierce.
My friend broke his crank after 4 litres of fuel n his Evo 3. I would not bother with Sirio. Stick to the Novarossi Plus 12. You will have a very fast engine, as well as one that will last!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gtrmx
Would that be the modified engine?

Thanks!
Stock. The mod will be available January 1, 2007.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks Will be breaking in the engine pretty soon Which method of engine break-in do you usually recommend? WOT or the conventional one?
I prefer to idle one tank then let it cool. Then put it on the track very rich so it only moves about 5mph, and less than 15k rpm. Each tank gradually lean the engine. Vary throttle input during break in. Depending on the engine it may take up to .5 to 1 gallon to break in fully. The Novarossi engines are so tight, I do not prefer the WOT method with them. It stresses the internal parts. I prefer to get some heat into the engine during break in. Somewhere above 160F but probably less than 200F for the first few tanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.