Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five vs. six cells

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Not sure anyone thought of this but, Maybe the movement to 5 cells is a way to backwards eliminate the use of LiPo batts. Lipo is pretty equal to 6 cells, but it currently doesn't have an answer for 5 cells (6 volts) because of the cell voltage of the Lipo cells.
I can't agree with that. This means that the people who decide this are so clever they can conspire to get rid of LiPo - the same people who didn't realise that they weight limit needed to change when they changed the proposal, and didn't do it!! There are two theories of life - the conspiracy theory and the cock-up theory. For a conspircay theory to work you need clever people who don't look like they are conspiring. For teh cock-up theory to work, you just nee people who don't think - go figure!

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It's definitely been brought up. Switching to 5 cells in the US would end up being a big race only thing for a lot of people, because you're not going to convince people to switch back from LiPo to NiMH if you try to introduce this ridiculous s*** into the clubs.
Yeah, agree with that! The solution to allow LiPo and decent Stock motors needs a bit of Rule changing, but it's eminently doable. It will have to be done, you can't 'un-invent' LiPo. 5-cell seems to be for the select few who like it, and not along-term solution.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Legend

By the time they decide to switch cell count, just about everyone at the club level will be Li-Po powered anyway ....

So I don`t think 5 cell will be even be a reasonable consideration for health of the sport...

If they did decide to go 5 cell, I would only consider gas racing as I`m not ever going to buy the disposable Nk-Ml cells ever again...