Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hey guys i pulled my car apart after a club meet and crossed check everthing top to bottom, the only thing i found really needing replacement are my body posts front, and rear lower arms as there is some slack back and forward starting to happen - pretty impressed with the overall road bust of the Mugen, just one thing any of you get sometimes clicking of the drive train from time to time, is this wheels done up tooooooo TIGHT? or are bearings on the way out?

I have decided to stay with the SPOOL and not front diff
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
hey guys i pulled my car apart after a club meet and crossed check everthing top to bottom, the only thing i found really needing replacement are my body posts front, and rear lower arms as there is some slack back and forward starting to happen - pretty impressed with the overall road bust of the Mugen, just one thing any of you get sometimes clicking of the drive train from time to time, is this wheels done up tooooooo TIGHT? or are bearings on the way out?

I have decided to stay with the SPOOL and not front diff
ticking is usually bearings, the smaller hub bearing dies very quickly. I run the $1 Avid bearings there and replace them every 2-3 race days

for the bodyposts I find running a CF brace between them really helps

Last edited by JayL; 08-26-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: bodyposts
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Mugen Internal Ratio

Hey guys, for those of you that have adapted a Serpent or Kyosho transmission to your cars. You will probably notice that these two brands (S and K) have their transmission set for a lower gear ratio, as low as 2.

A Mugen car has a ratio of 2.158 and as you will probably notice, you will run out of top speed in fairly average size tracks.

Two pulleys need to be changed in the internal ratio in order to bring it lower.

In my case, I changed it from 2.158 to 2.05.

What you need is:
-20T Brake Pulley
-19T Rear Side Pulley or 23T Front Side Pulley (These pulleys are the ones that run on the side belt, you need to change ONE not BOTH)

Here is a few options you have:

For the Brake 20T pulley
-Mugen MRX-4X pulley can be adapted no problem
-Team Titan or Zepping 20T Aluminum Pulley can also be used
-Xray NT1 has a 20T brake pulley, but you may need the NT1 brake adapter and possibly use a NT1 rear belt due to width. (Never tried this one myself)

For the Side Pulley
-MTX-3 Pulley set has the 23T and the 19T pulley
-3Racing makes an aluminum 23T pulley

Inconveniences with belt tensions

From 19T to 20T (Brake Pulley)
You can resolve this two ways:
-You can use a Kyosho Rear Belt which is 1 tooth longer
-Or you can get Serpent's Aluminum Eccentrics which allow the Diff to sit higher and forward in order to lower the tension. Other modifications to the Rear diff cover need to be done in order to have a smooth run. In my case, I only have one belt tension set which is having the eccentrics tab completely backwards.

From 18T to 19T (Side Pulley) (Option 1)
-Mugen Belt is really really long, longer than it should be in my opinion. So using a 19T side pulley presents no inconvenience to the belt as this can be adjusted using the Belt tensor.

From 24T to 23T (Side Pulley) (Option 2)
-This might present a problem, because it means the belt will be very loose. I have not tried this one myself yet, but if any problem arises, Kyosho's side belt is 1 tooth less than the Mugen Belt and will probably fit there.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Hey guys, for those of you that have adapted a Serpent or Kyosho transmission to your cars. You will probably notice that these two brands (S and K) have their transmission set for a lower gear ratio, as low as 2.

A Mugen car has a ratio of 2.158 and as you will probably notice, you will run out of top speed in fairly average size tracks.

Two pulleys need to be changed in the internal ratio in order to bring it lower.

What you need is:
-20T Brake Pulley
-19T Rear Side Pulley or 23T Front Side Pulley (These pulleys are the ones that run on the side belt, you need to change ONE not BOTH)

For the Brake 20T pulley
-Xray NT1 has a 20T brake pulley, but you may need the NT1 brake adapter and possibly use a NT1 rear belt due to width. (Never tried this one myself)

For the Side Pulley

-Or you can get Serpent's Aluminum Eccentrics which allow the Diff to sit higher and forward in order to lower the tension. Other modifications to the Rear diff cover need to be done in order to have a smooth run. In my case, I only have one belt tension set which is having the eccentrics tab completely backwards.

-Mugen Belt is really really long, longer than it should be in my opinion. So using a 19T side pulley presents no inconvenience to the belt as this can be adjusted using the Belt tensor.

-This might present a problem, because it means the belt will be very loose. I have not tried this one myself yet, but if any problem arises, Kyosho's side belt is 1 tooth less than the Mugen Belt and will probably fit there.

I know some guys just went with a K 2 speed to line it up better with the Capricorn clutch... I put the Capricorn clutch and simply used the mugen 2 speed....
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I know some guys just went with a K 2 speed to line it up better with the Capricorn clutch... I put the Capricorn clutch and simply used the mugen 2 speed....
Well, the problem arises when you use Kyosho or Serpent Spurs. Since due to the numbers available, the Final Drive Ratio is too high.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What you need is:
-20T Brake Pulley

For the Brake 20T pulley

For the Side Pulley

What is the reason for putting the K or S transmission in the Mugen?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Well, the problem arises when you use Kyosho or Serpent Spurs. Since due to the numbers available, the Final Drive Ratio is too high.

Thats why I'm still using the stock 2 speed... I'm using the Capricorn clutch and still keeping the correct ratio at the same time....
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by StewartFan20
What is the reason for putting the K or S transmission in the Mugen?
Well, I did it because I was stripping spurs. And the Serpent Clutch is much better than the Mugen. This is only my opinion, you may have yours.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Well, I did it because I was stripping spurs. And the Serpent Clutch is much better than the Mugen. This is only my opinion, you may have yours.

Is there a post somewhere with details on installing the Serpent transmission? I see the post above about changing the internal ratio, but I have not found anything on installing the transmission. Or, is it a direct fit?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

On my MTX4, I found out why I am having the stripping issue with second gear. The bearing in the 2nd gear housing was hanging up, thus causing the strip. When I put a new housing on with a fresh bearing, the stripping stopped. Upon examining the last one, I put it on an old shaft from my MTX3 and spun it; it did not spin freely. Word of advise, clean and lube it after a few runs for those that don't clean this bearing and see if that stops the stripping issue (if the gear is meshed right). I am going to see if the bearing can be punched out and replaced with a better on (possibly ceramic).
Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by StewartFan20
Is there a post somewhere with details on installing the Serpent transmission? I see the post above about changing the internal ratio, but I have not found anything on installing the transmission. Or, is it a direct fit?

Thanks
I still havent posted anything about that.

It is a direct fit. All you need is the complete shaft with the spurs, bearings, 2-speed. You need to cut out a portion at the other side of the shaft, and make a flat part in order to secure the side pulley. Also, you need to elongate the size of where the brake pulley's screw sits.

You will need to make a spacer for the shaft that goes in between the bulkhead and the 2nd gear bearing.

I also used the complete 720 WC clutch.

This Friday I may post the measurements of said spacer and how to cut the shaft.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Local Club meet random footage of spills, crashes and some close racing - pardon on the footage the missus was filming while me in the PINK "MTX4R" was racing......

Enjoy the random footage of what we get upto at Littlehampton Raceway ib South Australia on any given Sunday!

Enjoy
Frank
Old 09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Local Club meet random footage of spills, crashes and some close racing - pardon on the footage the missus was filming while me in the PINK "MTX4R" was racing......

Enjoy the random footage of what we get upto at Littlehampton Raceway ib South Australia on any given Sunday!

Enjoy
Frank

Nice Video Kodak, I can't wait to run my sedan again. I just need to break in a motor....
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Thats why I'm still using the stock 2 speed... I'm using the Capricorn clutch and still keeping the correct ratio at the same time....
AMEN!!!
I don't have to use snake or "k" tranny , I use stock tranny and capricorn clutch and good mesh setting and do not strip spurs !!!
on the nats I use the used spurs (the old black) and still using the same here on P.R. ha!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

What you need is:
-20T Brake Pulley

For the Brake 20T pulley

For the Side Pulley

the NT1 rear belt is the same of the MTX-4R if you buy the replacement from team titan the label reads "MTX/NT1 rear belt"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.