Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Guys today our Race meet was cancelled, but good news was the half day test i conducted i finally got an awesome setup in my MTX4R - finally the sweet spot was available and was very easy car to drive!

Ill get a setup sheet for all to view and comment.

Regards
Frankie
Old 07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by spurcheck
I know this question has probably been answered before, so just be patient guys.

I have recently been experienceing a problem of the side belt failing. First the belt failed, but I will chalk the first one up to just a worn belt. The same day after replacing the belt with a new one, the belt flipped over top of the tensioner. My first question is why.

Second, should I use the urethane belt instead of the rubber one.

The last question if there is an answer may solve all my problems. I have noticed that the belt appears to be too loose, even with the tensioner adjusted to give max tension. But, when the belt is adjusted like this the belt is so close to contacting itself, I find it hard to believe it does not jamb into itself. I am using 24 tooth front pulley and a 18 tooth rear pulley.

Whatcha think, anybody have any suggestions?
flip the belt tensioner, it will give you more tension and use only the rubber belt since with that one, you can use it loose with no worries about loosing a tooth on the belt, if you use urethan I'd recommend it only if using the 25 pulley since it requires more tension, otherwisre you'll loose teeth.
my suggestion, use a zeppin or kawahara RRR belt, fits only when using the 24 pulley since it has one tooth less than mugens original,(i do not reccomend kyoshos belt, somehow it has too much tension compared to zeppin or kawaharaS)

good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Can someone post up the instructions for running the kyosho tranny and capricorn clutch , like the Mugen team guys?

I tried the parts but the 1st/2nd seem to sit out alittle far....
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
Can someone post up the instructions for running the kyosho tranny and capricorn clutch , like the Mugen team guys?

I tried the parts but the 1st/2nd seem to sit out alittle far....
Kyosho Tranny in the Mugen???
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Kyosho Tranny in the Mugen???
yeah...they are running the capricorn kyosho clutch w/ the layshaft and 1st and 2nd from kyosho...spool up and supposed less stripping.....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running the Sirio Clutch similar to the Capricorn but I'm still running the Stock mugen layshaft and gears....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I'm running the Sirio clutch, K-car gears, 2-speed and layshaft, but I'm using it more for the power delivery then just to prevent stripping 2nd gear.

Ira Shultz finished 2nd in race two and was leading the race 3 by main a lap (until radio hit) at the Mugen Challenge with stock clutch, gears and parts.

Good run Francis.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

What about the internal ratio? Isnt it affected by it?

Mugen is 2.15 and kyosho is at 2...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

I stripped more spurs in my Kyosho than I did on my mugen, lol
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sohlman
I'm running the Sirio clutch, K-car gears, 2-speed and layshaft, but I'm using it more for the power delivery then just to prevent stripping 2nd gear.

Ira Shultz finished 2nd in race two and was leading the race 3 by main a lap (until radio hit) at the Mugen Challenge with stock clutch, gears and parts.

Good run Francis.

I'm only using the Sirio Clutch for power also... I've never had issues with my mugen two speed so I've kept it... + K's smallest spur is 55

Thanks, We have to do the mugen cup next year again....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

I was stripping a few 2nd spurs, But now I change my 2nd spur every 3 races for maintenance reason, I have a lot of 2nd spurs in exellent condition as spare, I am using Capricorn clutch and 3racing mono block, when setting the mesh i remove 1st gear spur and set only with the 2nd spur installed and measure the flywheel clearence on left and rigt side with the hole were the starter make contact with the flywheel, i make sure with a caliper that is the same measure only giving an error margin of .1 mm and no more srtipped spurs since the capitol classic 2008 at 301, i learn that method on Maryland on 2008 jejeje... no more stripped spur gears yeahhh!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JRGTR
I was stripping a few 2nd spurs, But now I change my 2nd spur every 3 races for maintenance reason, I have a lot of 2nd spurs in exellent condition as spare, I am using Capricorn clutch and 3racing mono block, when setting the mesh i remove 1st gear spur and set only with the 2nd spur installed and measure the flywheel clearence on left and rigt side with the hole were the starter make contact with the flywheel, i make sure with a caliper that is the same measure only giving an error margin of .1 mm and no more srtipped spurs since the capitol classic 2008 at 301, i learn that method on Maryland on 2008 jejeje... no more stripped spur gears yeahhh!!!
I still prefer my way of not stripping spurs... Been using the same spurs since December... And the same pinions too.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sohlman,

Can you explain how you convereted over to the Kyosho system? I have all the parts sitting around, since I use to run a Kyosho a while back then screwed my head on straight and went back to Mugen. Any modifications needed to the kyosho layshaft? I fit everything it but the spur gears seem to stick out and I could not get proper alignment with the pinions, am I missing something? Also I have tried the sirio clutch in the past but didn't have much success with it, how do you guys set them up? Thanks for the input, nice racing with you this past weekend and the Mugen Cup.

Brad Schaffert
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I still prefer my way of not stripping spurs... Been using the same spurs since December... And the same pinions too.
O yeahh ??

I haven't broke mine since mtx4 was first release ( 2005 )

Occasionally I have to replace the spur gears because they become smaller in diameter. [ clutchbell is rubbing the 2nd two speed gear housing when spur gears become smaller ].
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradley70
Sohlman,

Can you explain how you convereted over to the Kyosho system? I have all the parts sitting around, since I use to run a Kyosho a while back then screwed my head on straight and went back to Mugen. Any modifications needed to the kyosho layshaft? I fit everything it but the spur gears seem to stick out and I could not get proper alignment with the pinions, am I missing something? Also I have tried the sirio clutch in the past but didn't have much success with it, how do you guys set them up? Thanks for the input, nice racing with you this past weekend and the Mugen Cup.

Brad Schaffert
The way you were driving this weekend...I would not change a thing. Good racing bro.

I literally built everything K-car from the layshaft to the spurs...see pic. I did have to Dremel a longer flat spot on the layshaft in order to get the brake adapter set screw to tighten properly...and also to get the gears to align.

Downside: spare K-car parts are hard as hell to locate and they are more expensive then the Mugen parts.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-4R-k-car-junk.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.