Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I too ran the 3. It was a used car and I ran the car from march 2006 to march 2007(bought a 4). I honestly can't remember stripping a gear. I do remember running the same spur gears for months and only changed them because they looked really beat up. The 4 uses the same spur gears as the 3, so why is the 4 stripping like hell.

What changed in the drivetrain going from the 3 to the 4? I think the answer is there.

I still love Mugen but damn that s$%t is annoying.
The original 3 had 1.0 gears and the 3 pro-spec had a different internal gear ratio. I believe the higher internal gear ratio (More accelaration) of the 4 cause the car to stay in second gear longer which causes the gear to over heat which eventually strips the gear. And if you don't watch your tire diameter and roll-out this will strip gears all day long.
If you can't find a known reason why a gear stripped; take a look at your tire diameter and compare this to the rollout chart.

IMO

Pass you soon...
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you might be on to something with your motor causing the stripping. When I first got my 4, I bought a one-piece engine mount with it. I tried every single suggestion on here. I even had a mugen driver try to help but it still happened. I never changed the motor though. Once I put on the 4mm chassis, it stopped and never happened again. I'm thinking it may have something to do with motor/engine mount/chassis combination. Basically, if you have the magic combination to cause it, nothing else will fix it. But, perhaps changing one of those variables will. Just a thought. I have to say though, as a loyal Mugen customer, I am disappointed that this problem was never addressed or admitted to by the company. I'm even considering switching cars next year and that is one of the reasons why.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

I must be one of the lucky ones because ive had 2 mtx3s and 2 mtx4s and ive never once stripped a gear in any of them. Ive used the 1.0 and the .8 gears with the same results. I also use a solid engine mount but still use the 3mm chassis. Just for making these comments im sure ill strip a gear sunday at our club race.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lil-bump
The original 3 had 1.0 gears and the 3 pro-spec had a different internal gear ratio. I believe the higher internal gear ratio (More accelaration) of the 4 cause the car to stay in second gear longer which causes the gear to over heat which eventually strips the gear. And if you don't watch your tire diameter and roll-out this will strip gears all day long.
The original MTX3 and the prospect version had the same internal gear ratio. Nothing changed between them. From MTX3 to MTX4 it changed the internal gear ratio (where you originally went with a 20 or 21t 1st gear you actually go with a 16 or 17t).

What happened from the 0.8 gears on a MTX3 and the 0.8 gears on the MTX4? More horsepower on the engines we bolt on them. Bearings and clutches suffer a lot and people neglect them a lot.

Mugen released a different spurs with harder material and different 2nd gear clutch shoes, that seems to solve that cursed problem. Me like many other haven't suffered that problem but YMMV.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Ha, this topic seems never end, who's the gear killer? is the engine mount ? the misaligned gear mash? chassis flex? insecure screw? all of them? a million dollars question. OK, keep on guessing but I'll let you guys know later.

Tips: What had been change except the 08 gear and the internal ratio on the driving train from 3 to 4?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

Hi,
I just found this new webshop;
www.mugen-shop.com

It seems like they have a lot in stock...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rranger
Ha, this topic seems never end, who's the gear killer? is the engine mount ? the misaligned gear mash? chassis flex? insecure screw? all of them? a million dollars question. OK, keep on guessing but I'll let you guys know later.

Tips: What had been change except the 08 gear and the internal ratio on the driving train from 3 to 4?
i am on my 3rd MTX4R , i have never stripped a gear and i quite often run with out the engine brace by accident.

and my last car was 2 years old and the 2 speed is still in good condition

the secret is put a little bit of grease on the ball bearing in the two speed.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corse-R
The original MTX3 and the prospect version had the same internal gear ratio. Nothing changed between them. From MTX3 to MTX4 it changed the internal gear ratio (where you originally went with a 20 or 21t 1st gear you actually go with a 16 or 17t).

What happened from the 0.8 gears on a MTX3 and the 0.8 gears on the MTX4? More horsepower on the engines we bolt on them. Bearings and clutches suffer a lot and people neglect them a lot.

Mugen released a different spurs with harder material and different 2nd gear clutch shoes, that seems to solve that cursed problem. Me like many other haven't suffered that problem but YMMV.
I thought the original 3 had 1.0 gears and the prospec mtx3 had .8 gears
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I thought the original 3 had 1.0 gears and the prospec mtx3 had .8 gears
Yep, the original one came with 1.0 gears and the prospect came with 0.8 gears, but the internal ratio remain unchanged (1.95:1 IIRC). The MTX4 came with 0.8 gears and higher internal ratio (2.15:1???).
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So it is true
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's got to be something we're missing here. I've seen some people strip their gears 3 times in 10 minutes, and I've seen people run a season with no issues. It didn't matter if they used the new 2 speed clutch or the new material gears. Some ran 4mm chassis, some 3mm. Some had some brand of aluminum brace over the motor, some still had the stock plastic piece. Some had a blade swaybar, some had the the wire. Not sure if it's specific to one particular motor or not (although I know some RBs have interesting fitment issues).

The only thing I know for sure from running the Mugen this year is I've only stripped a gear if the motor wasn't meshed right and my bulkhead screws weren't tight. This was running either the 3mm or 4mm chassis. I set my clutch on my Ninja with the thrust bearing spacer (the best way to get that gap right) and ran the thigh wire swaybar. As long as I took time to set the mesh right (I pulled the 1st gear spur off and set the angel and mesh with 2nd gear) and did a quick check on the bulkhead screws, I had no problems. This worked with the old gears and the old 2 speed. I've since changed the 2 speed when I replaced some of the drivetrain parts, but I'm not convinced that made any difference.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spenzalii
There's got to be something we're missing here. I've seen some people strip their gears 3 times in 10 minutes, and I've seen people run a season with no issues. It didn't matter if they used the new 2 speed clutch or the new material gears. Some ran 4mm chassis, some 3mm. Some had some brand of aluminum brace over the motor, some still had the stock plastic piece. Some had a blade swaybar, some had the the wire. Not sure if it's specific to one particular motor or not (although I know some RBs have interesting fitment issues).
Don't know other people, but when I assembled originally my MTX4, posted on Oct, 7 2006 those photos on the original MTX-4 thread where I noticed a potential problem with stock engine mounts with Sirio engines (on that case, was an EVO3).

I repost the links to the attachments made that day where I showed what I needed to do to not hit the crankcase with the engine mounts.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...4-img_1387.jpg

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...4-img_1390.jpg

That was my original post on those days:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/2709181-post6360.html

Found many people that blamed of blowing gears with crankcases hitting the engine mounts or touching the chassis.

On all this time. Only had two MTX4 cars. All two are mostly stock (in fact. I like and prefeer the 3mm vs. 4mm chassis). Only not stock on the transmission is:

- Square hollow main shaft (borrowed from my MTX3).
- Lightened 1st and 2nd gear (borrowed too from my MTX3).

Those three pieces have LOTS of litres thru it and doesn't show a sign of material fatigue and when I blew spur was my fault for not optimal gear mesh or not tightening the engine screws.

If anyone likes, reading of previous messages to mine linked here could show that some found this 'problem' and some pointed to a potential problem there.

During all the time where the MTX4 and MTX4-R threads grew we gave many possible fixes to those 'blowing gear problems' and no one caused the desired effects.

I'm reluctant to believe that 'blowing gear problem' is a design problem on the car and I'm more eager to think that's a assembly fault associated with the higher and higher power output of the engines lately (anyone tried to race with a 2003/2004 engine and taken some actual laptimes? - I did it).
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

I'm reluctant to believe that 'blowing gear problem' is a design problem on the car and I'm more eager to think that's a assembly fault associated with the higher and higher power output of the engines lately (anyone tried to race with a 2003/2004 engine and taken some actual laptimes? - I did it).
You could be onto something. In the age of MT12s, NRS12s, RB 12s and V12s the engine blocks didn't have nearly as many problems as now with the current crop of big horsepower engines. That's also the one item that's never mentioned when people have gear problems - what motor are they running.

And I did run a car with an RB X12. Quite a difference in that Ninja, I tell you...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

When I had my gear stripping problem, it was with a murnan modified ninja.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

mine was a ninja also

dont know if that was it, but i have a redot and a 4mm chassis now, and they last much longer. the .8s just dont take the abuse well. plus the motors are getting stronger every day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.