Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Selling a Mugen mtx4r with Ninja .12 and ninja twist pipe Email for pic's [email protected] also have a ton of spare parts box instr. book and custom body done by rcgraphix roly out of Miami
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

How much?

My buddy needs a mugen
Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Well i stripped 4 gears today and lost 2nd place in the a-main I was lucky that when they stripped in the quals there was only seconds left. In the main, there was 7min in a 15min main...

Does anybody use this?
http://www.ybslowinc.com/products.php?item_id=14

Make sure your mesh it set properly..

Set you throttle end point so the servo does not pull the motor forward....

Last, check to make sure your clutch end bell is not hitting the two speed housing when pulling the clutch bell out... this will cause heat and soften up the plastic spur
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arahawak
I empathise with you. I hold the local stripping record and now i have resolve the issues. Some things i did which may help you.

Check the screws mounting the rear bulkhead if they are loose or stripped? If so change the rear bulkheads.

Make sure all screws on the engine mount is not loose.

Minimum play on the rear shaft.

I am also using the new 2-speed housing and newer spurs.

Try to use the original shims that came with the kit when you are doing the clutch bell end play. I found that by switching to the smaller shims (Tamiya or HPIs) i tend to strip my gears again.

Hope this helps.
Do you have a part number for the new speed housing? I use the shims from the kit and some from the ofna shim kit. I will have to check out the rear bulkhead. I would strip one once in a while,but now its every couple minutes...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Make sure your mesh it set properly..

Set you throttle end point so the servo does not pull the motor forward....

Last, check to make sure your clutch end bell is not hitting the two speed housing when pulling the clutch bell out... this will cause heat and soften up the plastic spur
Check
Check
and Check
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Did you find anything that might cause the stripping?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Did you find anything that might cause the stripping?
I did notice that the bearing in the 2nd gear housing gets pushed out of the housing a little. Basically i push it flush, and then when a gear is stripped and i take the housing off its not flush anymore? It kinda seems like the one way bearing from the 1st gear housing is pushing it out?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

I did notice that the bearing in the 2nd gear housing gets pushed out of the housing a little. Basically i push it flush, and then when a gear is stripped and i take the housing off its not flush anymore? It kinda seems like the one way bearing from the 1st gear housing is pushing it out?

Try this, loosen up the set screw on the pulley side, push the main shaft towards the two speed housing while holding the spur gears in place... push in the side pulley and set it.. Sounds like you have a lot of side play on the main pulley assembly....
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Try this, loosen up the set screw on the pulley side, push the main shaft towards the two speed housing while holding the spur gears in place... push in the side pulley and set it.. Sounds like you have a lot of side play on the main pulley assembly....
Tried that yesterday too and the gear stripped in 7mins..
Old 08-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arahawak
I empathise with you. I hold the local stripping record and now i have resolve the issues.
What's your record? Mine is 9 at a single race. Your turn.

I found that the clutch bell was touching the second gear housing when the end bell pushes out. Heats up and softens the spur gear. It would strip every 5th lap i turned. That's what's making that groove on the 2nd gear housing.

Also what was said above applies as well.....bulkhead, motor screws, etc.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Been there, didn't work either.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

I found that the clutch bell was touching the second gear housing when the end bell pushes out. Heats up and softens the spur gear. It would strip every 5th lap i turned. That's what's making that groove on the 2nd gear housing.

My clutch bell doesnt touch the 2nd gear housing. I think ill try replacing everything in the rear and see if that helps..

Has anybody tried the new 2 speed shoes?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
What's your record? Mine is 9 at a single race. Your turn.

On the average it was 4 to 5 per practice session.

If i remember correctly, many months back, for the entire duration of the race from practice to race day final, total was 12. I cleared out the shelves of LHS's stock of mugen spurs including my own spares!!

Now i check everything with regards to the rear portion of the car.

Yupz, i also found my clutch bell was touching the 2nd gear housing. I put on a new clutch bell and gear housing and re-adjust the position just to see if there is any more grooves. No more grooves now.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You shouldnt be stripping that many gears!

My car took off and hit the wall (dang FASST RX..), and blew a set doing that (and bent my chassis)

And in the main I changed my gearing, and I think I just set the mesh wrong. I dont know how you guys strip that many gears.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My clutch bell doesnt touch the 2nd gear housing. I think ill try replacing everything in the rear and see if that helps..

Has anybody tried the new 2 speed shoes?
OK, this is what i gather. The first generation of the NT1s (Xray lovers dun flame me, this is what i heard from a Xray driver) there were issues with springs in the 2-speed housing which causes the lag in dis-engaging and in turn causes the stripping. Since then (i think) there were new springs and the problem was resolved.

The new mugen 2-speed housing is supposed to resolve the issues of the housing not dis-engaging fast enough. Theory wise, it should resolve the over heating causing the gear to strip blah blah issues.

But having that also means you need to check that everything else is in good shape. Meshing, bulkheads, screws, rear shaft end play etc. etc.

The parts numbers are :

T0286 Spring Set for 2 Speed Gear Box
T0285 Shoe for 2 Speed Gear Box

Just in case you want to new Spurs, they are:

T0279 - T0284 1st. & 2nd. Spur Gear MTX4R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.