Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to setup a car with no traction compound on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I was originally going to stop into trackside today just to stop by but then i decided to do some practice runs. Due to the fact that i left my racing equipment in th car last night. i still had the tires from yesterday but i had some fresher motors and batteries.Today the track was slower however this was the day i actually got my tire temperature down. the first run my car was turning harder to the left than the right but every other run was instant traction. for the first part of my practice day was actually on par with some of the top drivers at my track with he T2,007 and JRSXR touring car and traction compound. Not to metion they were IIC contenders i tried some drop changes and it was trial and error sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. my fastest lap today was a 13.867. the fastest of the day was a 13.5 so i was only 3 tenths off of the fast drivers pace. there were some runs where i could keep up with them but later in the day the track got slower and lap times got slower. I'm going to give my batteries a rest. and try to get some new tires glued up.. however my fastest lap i ran in Thursday was only a tenth slower than the fastest racer today. I can't tell if my car is improving but i believe I'm getting somewhere. next week i might try new tire both all blue around all green around and green in front blue in rear.

-Lee

Last edited by Leester; 04-07-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

hey Lee? Not to throw a wrench into your works but when you run at Trackside and a bunch of other people have run or are also running uisng Scotty's preferred Jack the Gripper aren't your tires picking up some compound from the other cars? When you go to Asia those carpets aren't going to have any compound at all.

Do you think other racer's traction compound on the track surface is a factor for you?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
hey Lee? Not to throw a wrench into your works but when you run at Trackside and a bunch of other people have run or are also running uisng Scotty's preferred Jack the Gripper aren't your tires picking up some compound from the other cars? When you go to Asia those carpets aren't going to have any compound at all.

Do you think other racer's traction compound on the track surface is a factor for you?
Acatually I don't pick up any traction compound at all. I see a little oil in the tire warmer cans but that could be from the Motor spray

When i clean off the tires with motor spray they are usally very clean except for the front that have a little blister build up. The tires are very well perserved. they arn't all that worn out very much.

At the tamiya world's i saw a video of the track with a deep groove on the carpet. What I believe Tamiya has a dry rubbery grove. At trackside There is a JTG groove but it is a oily groove which could be bad for traction if not used properly

When i first drove the car. It was a very new and challenging expierience. But it was also fun. your car ins't as fast with traction compound but hte rear end just wants to whip around on you aggresivly loose and if the tires arn't heated right your car will be C*** for the first two laps. Which isn't something you would want inthe A main of the World Championship i suppose.
But when the car gets the tires heated up it really is pretty fun to drive it isn't as fast with JTG but the car wants to turn in harder and you have to be smoother with the wheel. WHne i got the inserts down. the car was muhc better to drive but it still wasn't as fast as Brian Lutz or Nick Stampfel (i was right on par with them at the beggining of the day but at the end of the day they were able to pull away from me and i was not as consistant.)But i was albe to handle James Newberg pretty good

They say in the tamiya world cup the track changes and trackside doesn't. All i have to say is They're full of.....well you get the idea. In many club races at trackside even with JTG eveyoen else was much faster in practice than in qualifying and the main's. we would be doing 13.2's and the track would be great and grippy and by the A main's we would be doing 13,7's and the track would be loose (on many days in many months and years) even today. there were many cars running trying to lay traction down on the track and as the day progressed on there the speed went slower and slower my first run i was able to get 13.9's and two 13.8's on par with Nick. By my last run I was only able to sqeak out a 14.0. I never used JTG. my car was good to control but it was still quite loose. You 30 of the time ahve to pitch it around the corners. And it's alot harder not to make any mistake witj just tire warmers than with JTG. If you drive to hard and your not careful. you will be banging the boards like it was the latest trend. Yes it's important to get around the track as fast possible but you have to keep off the boards as well. If Brian, Nick,and James were all running with no traction compound i would be able to hang with them throughout the day and maybe beat them. But noone knows for sure but it could of been a even game.

I would like to know how race as well on carpet with no traciton compound and tire warmers as well as i race with JTG. I'm not talking about fast lap times but my car being better than and my driving being on par with the best at the tamiya world's. Even without JTG it still think it's fun. and would be cool to have a dialed Tamiya World's Carpet Setup. Before If I win the Tamiya nats. Next week i'm going to try my GT1 415 and see how that works

-Lee
Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

I just put a DJ Pro module suspension on my 415 and i'm going to try it out soon next week. I will be using a 23 turn like they have used in the Tamiya World Championship. i will try some new tire insert changes to see how it works.

Last edited by Leester; 04-08-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
I'm will be running GT2 at the Nats if they have it held at Trackside cause if it's held in Aliso Veijo chances are I am not going.
Last I heard if the track is not available for the Nats they will hold it at a local SoCal track. Soooo, if Aliso becomes unavailable, the only thing going for Trackside is if Scotty can convince otherwise?

Although you don't need speedweek to practice.
Thurs practice a little
Fri break-in motors & do a couple of hot-laps
Sat qual
Sun race
Mon go home
November goto Japan. . .
Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Well. just tried the 415. It was C*** the first few laps with A blues all around fast lap a 14.2 i brought it in and then tried greens in the front and was much much better. however the car as what I've seen is it's very loose mid corner
i was running a 23 tun in my car and my fastest lap was only one tenth slower than the top at the track Steven Sobotka running a 27 turn motor but with a much better set up car and JTG. however the car is inconsistent as a delinquent skipping class. i'm going to try some droop changes. to see what happens next. i am typing form the track computer and i won't have lot of time to post messages.

-Lee
Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Back to my home computer. All i have to say is new tires make a difference! The Next few runs i tired some droop changes and the car was still the biggest piece of elephant S***. And my motor was jerking like on a srtaghtaway it would be fine then glicht than run again then it would shut down. what i saw was the motor wires wer touching the team tamale fan and caused the motor to shut down. I fixed the wires and it seemed like itwas slower but i couldn't tell for sure. might have to have the speed control reset but i don't know. anyway. after when i put some new tires on. Green front blue rear. the cars was stuck! It was much better and consistant. after i got the tires scrubbed in the car was really looking good. i got down to a 13.69 however Steven Sobotka got down to a 13.1 so judging against him wouldn't be a good target however i was only hundreths off this previsous fast time. and i probably would of have have come 2nd or 4th this night. Steven was gone but i was able to keep on par with the rest of the drivers in practice. the next run i'm going to try blue's all around to see what that does. and i'm goin to try the original suspension. I future runs i will try the evo 5 suspension.

-Lee
Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just wanted to say thanks Lee for sharing the setup information.

Myself and Howard are hoping to make it to the California TCS race, and any advance information about how to get these cars setup on low bite conditions is great.

Jimmy
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Last I heard if the track is not available for the Nats they will hold it at a local SoCal track. Soooo, if Aliso becomes unavailable, the only thing going for Trackside is if Scotty can convince otherwise?

Although you don't need speedweek to practice.
Thurs practice a little
Fri break-in motors & do a couple of hot-laps
Sat qual
Sun race
Mon go home
November goto Japan. . .

Jeff. Do you mean in California or at Trackside? for speedweek? Cause if it's California I don't think you got the message. 1. me and my parent's will be in full swing trying to sell the house and fixing it up. 2. I havn't been on the tamiya track since 2004 so me and my dad wouldn't know not very much to get the car setup for the race. Let alone win. I believe if the race won't held at Tamiya. For sure i heavily suggest Scotty should convince Fred to have the Nationals held at Trackside. It has everything Tamiya has and some that tamiya doesn't have, and it's located right in the middle of North America so people won't have to travel all the way accross the continent. Just halfway.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

very interesting thread imo. thanks leester
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sorry to tell you...

But every indication is that Nats will be in Alisio this year Lee. Plus the discussion has been that if the Nats are to be held anywhere else, it would either be in SoCal somewhere or they would do a rotating schedule. The word is that Fred is looking to start at the track that has been on the TCS Schedule the longest which would be Laurel, MD, not Trackside. Sorry to burst your bubble but I think the odds of Trackside holding nats are worse than the odds of me having a full head of hair....
Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
But every indication is that Nats will be in Alisio this year Lee. Plus the discussion has been that if the Nats are to be held anywhere else, it would either be in SoCal somewhere or they would do a rotating schedule. The word is that Fred is looking to start at the track that has been on the TCS Schedule the longest which would be Laurel, MD, not Trackside. Sorry to burst your bubble but I think the odds of Trackside holding nats are worse than the odds of me having a full head of hair....
Yes fred said he was 90% sure that nats will be hld in Aliso this year but... he said don't buy tickets yet.

If it's going to be a rotating schedule and first on the list would be Laurel MD
then why not have Trackside host it down the road? As for in Socal i really don't know where they could have it? Socal raceway looks like it could be closing down. revelation might go bust and most of the tracks in socal area are shutting down. As for the hair. Why do you think they have wigs, rogane, and propecia for?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

anyway... back to the topic i'm going to probably give my 415 a whirl on monday. going to try some roll center changes and tire insert changes as well. I put the old suspension back on to see how it works.

-Lee

Last edited by Leester; 04-12-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If it's going to be a rotating schedule and first on the list would be Laurel MD
then why not have Trackside host it down the road?
Just saying that testing for Nats now at Trackside doesn't make much sense. The odds of it being at Trackside in 2007 are slim. Just saying something because I don't want you to get your hopes up only to be disappointed
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jeff. Do you mean in California or at Trackside? for speedweek? Cause if it's California I don't think you got the message. 1. me and my parent's will be in full swing trying to sell the house and fixing it up. 2. I havn't been on the tamiya track since 2004 so me and my dad wouldn't know not very much to get the car setup for the race. Let alone win. I believe if the race won't held at Tamiya. For sure i heavily suggest Scotty should convince Fred to have the Nationals held at Trackside. It has everything Tamiya has and some that tamiya doesn't have, and it's located right in the middle of North America so people won't have to travel all the way accross the continent. Just halfway.
Lee I did get the message. Just suggestion a shortened version of speedweek. If you decided to come I would be happy to give you setup info. I know my TA problems have mostly been electronic rather than setups...

Keep up the good testin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.