Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, I've got a few weeks on the bronze servo saver now... it's still working great!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by milenko_76
has anyone tried the different sway bars yet? Whats your opinion on the different tensions?
I took the front sway bar out and have been running the thicker one ... I think it is the .5 mill bigger than the original SS rear. If I am right it is a 2.5 or 3.0 mm .... I will have to fill out one of them set up sheets .. I have just started racing in Calgary this year .. been bashing for a couple of years before that .... another point that I heard people chatting about was diff fluid ... I am running 7 F 30 C 3 R .... I just changed it to 1 in the rear ... will keep you updated, hope to run on suday weather permitting.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13549 This looks allmost the same as the part that Hellsavage made ???
Old 08-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JagManSS
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13549 This looks allmost the same as the part that Hellsavage made ???
Welcome to the thread JagMan! Cheers from Northern Alberta (Grande Prairie)!

Yes, it's the same part... but it's aluminum. The part that Hellsavage made is bronze. The advantage is that bronze is self lubricating, so it does not get "sticky" like plastic or aluminum.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

I raced the Hellfire again today... steering is good, and the bronze servo saver continues to work great!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MadHacker
I raced the Hellfire again today... steering is good, and the bronze servo saver continues to work great!
I have the same exeriance so far. Thanks for testing Madhacker.
I wil make a few of them this week. So every body who wants one. Send me a PM whith your email adres and I will sent U the costs and furthere info on them.

thanks Hellsavage
Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

I have not broken this part, but I have broken the other part that it mates to .... has anyone else had this problem ?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I switched over to a aluminum steering arm. So far it's working good. I am still interested in a bronze one. Can you machine up a mating part to the steering bellcrank arm? The way everything would be stronger. Shoot me a price on the bronze part. [email protected]
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sunday was a no go .... rain rain rain and more rain .. still raining today .... I was hoping to see if I had go my CB bearing issue fixed ... the problem that I have been having is I get 5min on a set of bearings, I have read that the CB hits the bottom most motor plate. It has that cross memeber that runs under the CB, it did have some scaring on it but nothing I would be worried about. I have since changed all my running gear over to my newest chassie. Hope that this solves the problem. I was thinking that I might have had a small tweak in the chassie causeing my motor to not be lined up perfect with the rest of the drive line. Or it could be just the mega power that I am tring to put the the ground ... RB 928 modded
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

I have not broken this part, but I have broken the other part that it mates to .... has anyone else had this problem ?
No not yet.
But when there has to break something I think this part wil be it.
But this part is mutch stronger then the servohorn. So I think this will be the first to break. And this is an easy fix.
The part U mention is (in my case) still new.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

BTW Madhacker I suggested to set the ackerman to the rear hole.
I found out that when I have a agressive techical track it workes great. Whith the rear holes.
But when the track is a pure stirring and roling track the middel hole workes great.
Just some info

mzl Hellsavage
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

I've never broken any of the steering parts, but I was having a problem with the servo saver being "sticky". The self lubing properties of the bronze totally fixes this issue. I haven't had to fuss with a sticky servo saver since I put the part in.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
BTW Madhacker I suggested to set the ackerman to the rear hole.
I found out that when I have a agressive techical track it workes great. Whith the rear holes.
But when the track is a pure stirring and roling track the middel hole workes great.
Just some info

mzl Hellsavage
Yes, I tried the rear hole, and found that I prefer the middle one on the track that we have here.

Since I last posted my setup, I've adjusted the droop somewhat. The track is smoother now, so the truck doesn't need all that suspension travel. I use the first setup (the one that I posted) on really rough tracks with large jumps. I mod that setup to have less droop for smoother tracks. It seems to be working great, and I've had no further issues with lack of steering.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

We're about 2/3 of the way through our racing season here in Canada, and getting back to why I started this thread... reviewing the Hellfire SS kit... so far, the truck has held up well. I've had a few broken parts, and made some mods to the diffs, but after observing others at the track with other brands of trucks having to solve issues as well (like Kyosho and Jammin), I'de say that this truck is just as good as the rest for durability.

At this point, I can honestly say that this truck is not the "BreakFire" that everyone said it was. Perhaps they were referring to the RTR version, but the SS kit is as solid as any other brand.

In the handling department. I've been able to adjust the truck to my liking, and am very happy with how it handles and steers. At this point, it is not the truck that is holding me back... it's my driving ability and amount of practice that I'm able to get.

So, to summarize... after 2/3 of a racing season with this truck, I have found that it is not "a piece of junk" as many have said.

I think that the mistake HPI makes is that they always release their RTR versions of products first. They do tend to be weaker, and have lower quality parts as do most RTR's... and from this HPI products get a bad reputation.

The other downside is that HPI does not have factory team drivers racing their products, so no one sees any HPI product as finishing in the top 10 in the magazines. The natural assumption from this is that HPI product must not be as race worthy as the other brands.

I think that if a person can see past the above observations, then he/she will be able to judge the Hellfire SS kit on it's merits. So far, I have to say that for the level of racing that I am involved in (that being local club racing, with some regional and nationals racing) the SS kit is just as race worthy as any other Truggy kit out there.

When the racing season is finished up here, I'll let you all know if I still feel the above statements are true.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM
r/t
Tech Rookie

Hello guys,

Just wanted to say that this thread has been really helpful to me since I am still new to the hobby. I bought my first r/c last month which is of course a hellfire ss kit with a spektrum dx 3.0 radio. I havent finished reading the whole thread but I am really happy about what MadHacker thinks about the hellfire.

I havent tried running it on a real track but I am having fun with it in my backyard. Maybe I will give it a try one of these days.

Btw, here is a pic of my truck 24 hrs. after finishing the paint. Not as good as some of the other bodies ive seen but it works for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.