Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also had my first set of cvd's come apart on me this evening... I've never used the heat shrink trick because I've never had this problem, but I did tonight. I had a set screw back off and lost the CVD pin in my front-right drive axle.

So... I rebuilt the CVD's... using plenty of loc-tite and put heat shrink on for extra measure.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-cvd-heat-shrink.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does those pin comes out easily? I just never seen those come out at all, only the dog bone come out of the cup but not the pin.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
Does those pin comes out easily? I just never seen those come out at all, only the dog bone come out of the cup but not the pin.
No, not normally, and this is the first time this has happened to me on any of my vehicles.

Regarding the heat shrink... I saw this tip earlier in this thread. Someone said to use heat shrink to be sure the pin doesn't come out. It must be a problem that at least a few people have run into, although, I really doubt that it's specific to the Hellfire. I'm certain that any vehicle with this type of CVD would have the potential to lose a pin should the grub screw come loose.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I do this with all my CVD's..Murphy's Law you know, Would hate to lose a race over a simple fix. If anyone is looking for a Helfire I have one that in great condition for $600, thats with no radio, but it does have a new motor and about $ 400 in NIB parts, New works clutch ($100), over $500 in hop ups..new ones.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-pict1176lb2.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TGA78
Well I just placed my order for the alloy diff cases, bearings, and the P6 O rings. My plan is to break in the diff gears and the engine with the stock plastic diff housing. Then switch to the alloy ones when I pull them for the first fluid change.

I also ordered a set of XTM side guards for just under $4 shipped off eBay.

For diff oil I will be using Mugen 7, 10, 5, to start with. I am thinking 25 front 35 rear for the shocks. I am looking to order a set of springs and sway bars for the Hellfire, I just have to find them.

I am going to the hobby shop today for the oils, digital servos and another Fasst receiver for the 3PM. Oh and thread lock.

When the starter box comes in on Thursday. I will be picking up fuel, glow plugs, fuel bottle, air filter oil, after run oil, glow plug igniter, and battery packs. I would appreciate any suggestion on the above items. Engine is an LRP 2.8 Spec 3.

Am I forgetting anything? I would like to have it ready for break in next weekend.

Edit: I did forget something. I want to order some wheels and tires for the parking lot. I know I mentioned this before but I am still very unsure what to get. I really like the bead lock wheels. But do they make them for the Hellfire? I know in my random browsing I came across a set of pro like road rage 40 series tires. I assume those are for a MT if so do they make them for a truggy?

Also how is the stock SS kit clutch? Do I need to order anything clutch related to get this truck ready to roll?
The alloy diff cases are a mistake to use. They have no steel inserts for the axle cups like the stock case. So your axle cups will be running in soft aluminum and develop play much quicker. Plus the alloy cases are heavier. They add bling, but nothing else.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DiscoDan
Hahaha... I still would not buy one for myself ... nor would I recommend one for racing.

In my opinion the biggest factor on deciding what brand of race machine to buy IN ANY CLASS is what everyone else is running.
If you go with a machine that lots of people at your track are running you will have an easy time getting setup tips, spare parts, and repair help.
Adversely... if you get a machine that few or no people run at your track these advantages simply aren't there for you, you are on your own.
This more than anything is how I determine what I race.

It would seem that you operate on a "cost is not an issue" program. Well, most people know that success is at least 80% driver skill. It's so much fun to beat those $600+ kits.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
It would seem that you operate on a "cost is not an issue" program. Well, most people know that success is at least 80% driver skill. It's so much fun to beat those $600+ kits.
LOL! Your assumption would be correct. "DiscoDan" is a good friend of mine, so I happen to know that he makes good coin in his line of work.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Reading through this thread seems like a few people use Savage diffs, I have been using the Hot Bodies LSP hardened ones and they work really well. I had a few issues with the stock diffs, they failed rather quickly.

He is my Hellfire SS

Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone use spektrum? is there any problem fitting the reciever (Pro version) into the battery box with the battery in there?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I never had any, One thing to do (not sure if anyone else has ever had any problems) is Velcro the battery down in the bottom of the box, their is some room from the top of the battery to the bottom of the lid. In a bad crash it can break the lid..I have seen it happen. I have a few other "fixes" as well..lol
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
Anyone use spektrum? is there any problem fitting the reciever (Pro version) into the battery box with the battery in there?
The battery box on the Hellfire is quite large. The spektrum receiver will fit with no issues.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BrisbaneTNX
Reading through this thread seems like a few people use Savage diffs, I have been using the Hot Bodies LSP hardened ones and they work really well. I had a few issues with the stock diffs, they failed rather quickly.
I figured the LSP diffs would fit, but I didn't have any to try. Now we know for sure! thanks BrisbaneTNX!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

I used these diffs
LSP Hardened Diff

These bevel gears
Hot Bodies Spiral Bevel Gears

For the centre diff I used the stock drive cups, spur gear & case, but changed the internal gears for these
HB Diff Gears
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BrisbaneTNX
I used these diffs...

Cool! Thanks for the links!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Is every body on hollyday or what?
I am
this weekend I am going to test my servo saver to the max (I hope).
My wife sad "it is in a nice part of our countrie so why not make it a small hollyday" so I am packed and ready to go.
Next week I will let everybody know about my divice. I hope Madhacker has some time to test more. By the end of next week I will make a desiccion on the part. So stop sending me pm and have some patiance U all loving Hellfire fans.

mzl Hellsavage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.