Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's the one. When I got mine they had $25 off, now I guess it's $10 off. Still an amazing price for OS quality.

It's great for buggy or truggy. I'd suggest the JP-1 pipe if you're using it in a truggy - the engine has lots of high end power and that pipe gives a little more low end than the JP-2 or JP-3. In a buggy the JP-3 seems to be the pipe of choice.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeWz
TR is just truggyracers. It's another forums is all. ST-R is kyosho's truck. MP777 ST-R.
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've got mine up for sale if anyone's interested (in the section it belongs). Would LOVE to be able to keep this truck, but money's real tight right now and I just can't justify it.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168444
Old 06-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TGA78
Well guys I am still waiting on my LRP 28 spec 3 to come in. Seem like I have had this kit but no engine forever now.

I am considering ordering a Axial .28 for $120 and a bump start back plate for another $18. Assuming that’s all I would need to put this engine in my Hellfire it seems like a rather good deal.

Any opinion on the Axial or suggestions for similarly priced options?

Also any suggestions on some tires and wheels for parking lot bashing? I don’t want to wear out the stock tires since they should work rather well on the local track. Unless someone knows where I can get a few sets of them for cheap?

Thanks, Tom
The axial .28 is a very good engine considering the price. It will move the Hellfire quite well. I raced all last summer with that engine in my Savage and took first in MT class for the race season. It was very reliable and was easy to tune and had a very "raceable" power band.

As for the stock tires (nubz), they burn off very quickly on pavement (I know... because I made that mistake... ) Something like a ProLine Badlands would probably stand up better.

Last edited by MadHacker; 07-29-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jon123
TGA78,

I'd highly recommend the OS 21 VG. When I got mine a few weeks ago from Tower they were $125. You also won't need to order a backplate as it comes with one (unless of course you wanted a pull start).

I've run OS for years in my onroad cars and they are amazing. Lots of power and incredibly reliable.
The OS21 VG is also a very good engine for the price. You really can't go wrong with either the Axial .28 or the OS21 VG.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I made the switch on my rear diff. I used hpi savagex aluminum diff cup. I took pics not good ones but a few pics. I'll post them up when the camera is done recharging.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by milenko_76
I made the switch on my rear diff. I used hpi savagex aluminum diff cup. I took pics not good ones but a few pics. I'll post them up when the camera is done recharging.
Is there any chance you try to get us a photo of the distorted plastic on the inside of your diff cup (from the blown diff)?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Id love to get that photo, but I couldn't find anything wrong with the diff cup. Im not sure what happen. I took it all apart and found nothing. No loose screws or broken teeth. Im at a loss. Since i already spent the cash on supplies I changed over to the savage x diff cups anyways. Put it all back together and it runs like a dream again. Im going to blame gremlins for this one.

And here she is together again.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Im going to blame gremlins for this one
LOL! Hahaha, I've had that happen to me a time or two... LOL.

Well, thanks for the excellent photos of the Savage X SS alloy diff mod for the Hellfire!

I see you're one of those "kitchen table" people as well... LOL, I only get away with that if the wife is out of town! Hahaha!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

I work when shes asleep. haha She did give me the evil glare this morning because it was still all over the table.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

I work when shes asleep. haha She did give me the evil glare this morning because it was still all over the table.
Hahaha... "the evil glare"! LOL, the next thing you'll get is the silent treatment, and then you'll be out sleeping on the couch... Better get that stuff cleaned up, it's just easier that way! LOL!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Update....3 weekends of racing...........3 podium finishes. No breakage issues <knock on wood>. Upgraded power before last weekends racing. now powered by Mach 427 LST motor. Only small issue is a lower shoch screw that keeps wanting to back out.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Good News!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Yes that is good news. Last week I lost the set screw that attaches the center cvd to the rear diff. That really sucked. I finished the race with front wheel drive. I race on pavement so you can do neat o things like that. That screw is locktited in with a drop of tire glue on it for good measure. I know it's not good to do but I don't want to loose to a losi 2 weeks in a row. I'm bringing my stadium pro r with me just incase I can't fix the HF before the next race. While Im racing Im also working in the hobby shop so sometimes there isn't enough time to look at your own truck between races. I have to help customers before helping myself. Thats the way it goes. Without the customers I wouldn't have the job.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Well we were playing last night in the park. I was letting my cousin and two brothers each have a try at my HF. First bro drove it awesome. He might get one now. HAHA My other bro was driving great until he hit the divider that separates the wood chips by the swings and the grass. That flung the truck roof first into the swing set post. No biggie nothing broke. Last My cuz has a go at it. He's doing good. i think he got over confident and hit a tree with the front right side. It tore the arm out of the bushings and cracked the arm a tad. So full speed into a tree and very minor injuries. This truck is built tuff. I was amazed at how well it took the hit. My tmaxx would've been screwed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.