Ive read on truggyracers that deze will fit but I dit not use them myself
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2098
It might be worth a try.

mzl Hellsavage
Thanks man.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm looking at the new Hellfire 4.6 as my first truggy. I'm an onroad racer of about 4 years with a touch of stock ep buggy thrown in for a season.

It seems that this truck isn't too bad for a beginner! The price is half decent too, compared to the Losi 8ight-T and others.

It seems like a pretty good deal and your opinions on it have kind of swayed me towards it.

I'm still going to look around a bit, but this was an excellent thread.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the complement Turbo. If you go with the Hellfire, buy the SS kit version. I have heard that the RTR version has some downgraded parts and isn't as strong as the SS. (Can anyone verify this?)

Here's some more good info for y'all... Originally "Soup54" came up with the idea of trying Savage diffs in the Hellfire, but I was a little unclear as to exactly what bearings went where and how it would all fit together... so I built one and took photos to share with you all.

1. I used a Golden Horizons diff cup from my old Savage SS (The Savage X SS alloy diff cups work too). The bevels, pins, and everything inside is from a Savage X SS (older Savage parts will work too, but this is what I had laying around). The Ring gear, seal, and the output shafts are from the Hellfire. As you can see from the photo, you need to use the diff bearing from the Savage X SS on the diff cup side, and the diff bearing from the Hellfire on the ring gear side. The part numbers have been added to the picture for reference.

2. Someone asked earlier in the thread if the Savage diff output shafts would work... well, I tried them, and the answer is yes and no! The issue is that the Savage output shaft is larger internally to fit the larger Savage dogbone, so the Hellfire dogbone would fit, but it would be sloppy. I would highly recommend not doing this unless it's an emergency and you need to do it to finish a race day. (In the photo, the Savage output shaft is on the right).

3. Picture of the Hellfire diff shaft measurement (8mm)

4. Picture of the Savage diff shaft measurement (9mm)

For anyone wondering what the scoop is on this subject... Although I haven't had this happen to me yet, on this thread we've had reports of a few diffs blowing after significant crashes. What happens is the force of the crash (if the tires take any of the hit) transfers through the drivetrain into the diffs. The pressure put on the internal bevel gear pins distort the plastic of the diff cup. The gears either immediately or soon after skip a tooth, and boom... you've just lost a diff. Building a Hellfire diff out of Savage aluminum or alloy diff cups stops this from happening. Also, the Savage internal diff bevel gears are a bit thicker than the Hellfire's (pictures are posted earlier in this thread comparing the two). I would fully expect this diff built in this manner (from heavier Savage parts) to be pretty much bullet proof in the light 9+ pound Hellfire truck.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-hellfire-diff-built-savage-parts.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-hellfire-vs-savage-diff-output-shafts.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-inner-diameter-hellfire-diff-output-shaft-8mm.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-inner-diameter-savage-diff-output-shaft-9mm.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-17-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

@Madhacker
Correct me if I am wrong.
Is it so that the P6 rings are no longer needed?
This workes for the center as well.
If U have a lathe U could machine one side to 8mm and use 1 size bearing.

Thanks for the info.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
@Madhacker
Correct me if I am wrong.
Is it so that the P6 rings are no longer needed?
This workes for the center as well.
If U have a lathe U could machine one side to 8mm and use 1 size bearing.

Thanks for the info.

mzl Hellsavage
I'm not sure what "P6" rings are... LOL... maybe I've missed something?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Adept

@Madhacker
Sorry Ithought this was already discussed.
The diffs of a Hellfire in general. Have the problem of leaking after about a gallon.
To solve this U can put Kyosho P6 rings in it. Replacing the HPI rings. These rings are slightly thikker so they close the diffs better.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4016
But I never heard of this problem in a Savage. This is wy I made this comment.

mzl Hellsavage

Last edited by Hellsavage; 06-14-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Bodies

Just traded for a Hellfire.Nice truggy.Wondering if any of the proline bodies will fit. The stock body is nice but,I would prefer the proline styling.Anybody tried any of the other truggy bodies with any luck?Thanks,Mario.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Haven't tried it yet but the losi8 body looks like it would work about the best. It's design looks like it would fit the lowest on the HF of any other body then the stock one. A friend has a Losi 8 truck so I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
@Madhacker
Sorry Ithought this was already discussed.
The diffs of a Hellfire in general. Have the problem of leaking after about a gallon.
To solve this U can put Kyosho P6 rings in it. Replacing the HPI rings. These rings are slightly thikker so they close the diffs better.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4016
But I never heard of this problem in a Savage. This is wy I made this comment.

mzl Hellsavage

Oh, you're talking about the o-rings for the diff... no I haven't changed them out yet, and I definitely have a gallon on my Hellfire now. No leaks yet.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mn_gumby
Haven't tried it yet but the losi8 body looks like it would work about the best. It's design looks like it would fit the lowest on the HF of any other body then the stock one. A friend has a Losi 8 truck so I'll check it out this weekend.
Everyone on TR says that any ST-R based body is the way to go.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Well guys I am still waiting on my LRP 28 spec 3 to come in. Seem like I have had this kit but no engine forever now.

I am considering ordering a Axial .28 for $120 and a bump start back plate for another $18. Assuming that’s all I would need to put this engine in my Hellfire it seems like a rather good deal.

Any opinion on the Axial or suggestions for similarly priced options?

Also any suggestions on some tires and wheels for parking lot bashing? I don’t want to wear out the stock tires since they should work rather well on the local track. Unless someone knows where I can get a few sets of them for cheap?

Thanks, Tom
Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeWz
Everyone on TR says that any ST-R based body is the way to go.
Thanks.Couple Q's...TR?....ST-R based? Thanks,Mario.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

TGA78,

I'd highly recommend the OS 21 VG. When I got mine a few weeks ago from Tower they were $125. You also won't need to order a backplate as it comes with one (unless of course you wanted a pull start).

I've run OS for years in my onroad cars and they are amazing. Lots of power and incredibly reliable.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

TR is just truggyracers. It's another forums is all. ST-R is kyosho's truck. MP777 ST-R.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Is this the one?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMUM3&P=SM

I have never heard anything bad about O.S so it seems like another good option. I could put it in a buggy later when I get one but I think my next RC is going to be a Savage SS kit so the pull start .28 could go in to that. I just dont know anything about the Axial brand name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.