Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Increasing radio range? Or which radios have longer range if any? >

Increasing radio range? Or which radios have longer range if any?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increasing radio range? Or which radios have longer range if any?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by sparksy
Its not the power that runs the transmitor that gives range as such, but the transmittors power output.... new batteries will not make much if any difference.

My main experience with radio is military comunications. The frequency of our radios are changeable with thousands of available freqs. in HF and VHF. the difference in range between VHF and HF is notable, but we are talking a large freq difference here, not like the diff between 27 and 75 Mhz. And the atmospheric conditions play their part here.

Our newer radios (military) amplify the signal on transmision and recieving, so that a week signal being recieved is clearer than would normally be. The range of these babies is vastly improved over the radios that were used 20 years ago and they use less power to run.
Yeah, the signal sets nowadays are so darn light and small! Unlike the ones we had, the 77 sets!
Old 11-26-2001, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

the frequency doesent affect the distance?.....chey...dunno which idiot tell me one....

or maybe its because most 40Mhzs are the more Ex kind of controller thats why he thinks it can go further?

hehe...so dun flame me hor...
Old 11-26-2001, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Dragon
the frequency doesent affect the distance?.....chey...dunno which idiot tell me one....

or maybe its because most 40Mhzs are the more Ex kind of controller thats why he thinks it can go further?

hehe...so dun flame me hor...
That's what my understanding too! if you want better range then do the followings:
1. antena from the receiver must stay away from the power and signal cable of both servos.
2. antena from the receiver must stay away from any carbon fiber stuff, like radio tray.
3. Sliced the black plastic of the tip of the antena, expose may be 2mm of the copper wire.
4. use only one brand of battery for the TX(the point is to maintain same or similar power voltage and wattage, keep it consistant.
5. make sure all the batter is charged up and make sure you use good batteries like those NIMH rechargable batteries.

Number 1 is a very important! a friend of mine always have problem with receptions, but once he retie the antena and those servo's cables, it solved the problems!

Hope this will help!
Old 11-26-2001, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Yea the 77 set sucks!!!! big old heavy back breaker. and you were lucky to get comms over a grid square.... lol
Old 11-26-2001, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by sparksy
Yea the 77 set sucks!!!! big old heavy back breaker. and you were lucky to get comms over a grid square.... lol
Hahaha! I could see that you had bad experiences with the 77 sets!Hahaha! Hey, but they were really durable! Sat on them, threw them around and they still work! Haha! Somehow, the range gets reduced though!
Old 11-29-2001, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

I heard 75 goes farther than 27 too. And my Lynx 3d (75mhz) definetly went farther than my old Airtronics RTR (27mhz). Twice as far. My 3d (carefully) was used to about 200 + yards. I could barely see my Racer2 to turn it around.
What a run though, whew! ! !
Old 12-07-2001, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Radio Range

Hi,
Generally speaking, the radio range does not depends on frequency in RC radio. What really matter is the power of the transmitter. Besides fancy function, expensive radio normally come with longer radio range as well. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:08 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Ah10

Does slicing the tip of the antenna a little will help the range of the radio?

Did u try this?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Ah10

Originally posted by zxt
Does slicing the tip of the antenna a little will help the range of the radio?

Did u try this?
That's what I have been told, dont really know if it works but I did it anyway, besides it is a very easy surgery and no one can even tell if I dont tell them!