Community
Wiki Posts
Search

i hate ib 4200wc

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

yes the racers want more power and runtime and such but not a cell that blows up. we can put people on the moon. so cant we make a battery that dont blow up and still make power.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:41 AM
jt6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ummm....even NASA has problems now and then with getting them up there cause they are pushing things too....you can't tell me you haven't heard of the shuttles blowing up?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yeaklet4
yes the racers want more power and runtime and such but not a cell that blows up. we can put people on the moon. so cant we make a battery that dont blow up and still make power.
I'm not to sure about that moon thing? Do you really think we went?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ford_racing
I have had my 4 packs of 4200's for a year now, they are still great cells, just losing a bit of punch now. I had one die within 3 cycles, just went open circuit, replaced very quickly by HarrisRC.

I am now looking at new cells but am just a little hesitant about the LiPO route, I know that the failures are caused by mishandling of them, just like mishandling NiMh's is bad.
The only thing that is keeping me away from LiPO is the fact that they are not currently legal at any large races in my area. I can use them for Club meets and the clubs titles, but as soon as I go interstate or to another club I would need to have NiMh cells.

Decisions Decisions
Hey Ben,

You should ask the AARCMCC why they aren't allowing LiPo's yet - I have and I am still confused of the reasoning. AARCMCC are pretty much like sheep and follow whatever ROAR / IFMAR are doing.

ROAR / IFMAR don't like LiPo because the cells aren't the same format (size / shape) as sub C. They don't like LiPo because of all these horror stories and videos on the web of LiPo's exploding! They don't like LiPo because they are worried about insurance issues related to LiPo's. I think it is sub C protectionism, yes people matching sub C's will go, it's unfortunate but you can't stop progress.

LiPo's are safe if handled correctly. LiPo's are safe if the are charged with a LiPo charger. They are safe if they are not over discharged. LiPo's are safe.

What we should be doing is asking for a LiPo powered classes at big events.

I am an average punter who enjoys the performance and maintenance free experience that LiPo can afford. I don't race every weekend, I don't have the time to "mother" my NiMH cells in between race weekends so they don't sit self discharging themselves to death.

LiPo is the way of the future.

Bring it on!!!!

Tony
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Each season I purchase new packs, not because the packs are crap, but because the structure and performance of the new batteries change.

In the past 3-4years I've gone from Panasonic 3000's to GP3300 to IB 3800 to IB 4200's. Now I've never done a comparison between the longivity of the packs but always felt the need to purchase new packs in order to be competitive.

My only question is what ever happened to Sanyo? Did they exited the sub-C market completely?

For the record, I'm a huge fan of LiPoly packs.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

HI akuhon

i use the lower one with the digital display. also i know it goes back to zero after 2000 mah

cheers
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have bought 4 6-cell packs, 2 are team express shv's, and 2 are promatch wc's. All 4 packs are 6 months old with at least 50 cycles a piece on them. I have had no problems with any of the cells and they still take 4300+ mah. At our track only a couple of people have had zero volt cells. However, 1 person did have a problem, he left his pack in his touring car after his race, and about 10 minutes latter; pop. The chassis looks cool though, I said he should mount on the wall.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
a dead cell will stay dead.
the new cells are good and wont die,unless you bake them.

Actually you are wrong.. you can bring it back.. Here is a post from mike boylan( Runs the snowbirds )..

(MIKE BOYLAN)I had a few packs I did this too and worked awesome. If you have a pack that won't charge or shows real low voltage when charging, one of the cells is at 0 volts. Find the dead cell and take a charged pack of batteries and tough the positive of the charged pack to the positive of the dead cell, and same for negative. It will shoot some voltage back in the dead cell and bring it back to life. I have had 4 packs now I have done this too and it works. 1 pack has been sitting in my garage for months and I did it tonight and BAM it is back and one of my best.... good luck!
BTW a buddy of mine is a matcher.. He had many many dead cells right out of the case.. he did this t the dead cells, and they came back..He wont sell them because they were dead , but they work good enough for his personal packs for weekly racing..

A good routine helps, but the packs still go bad.. Ive been racing for 20 years, and these cells remid me of the old panasonic cells.. work good a few times, but go bad very quickly..

BTW the indoor season is over, and we go outdorrs in a month or so.. I just cycled all of my packs.. My practice IP's cycled out very well.. My 4200's both vented on the cycle again.. It doesnt seem to hurt the pack, but to me it shows weakness is the quality.. I'll be on EP's from this point on..
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

I've been bashing with 2- smc 3800 packs and 2- smc 4200wc packs, all matched.I have also wasted alot of money on other sport packs(no names:V) looking for a good price and they have all petered out in the last couple of months and had never been that fast. I perform ZERO battery voodoo. I don't have EQ trays and use a crappy vision 2 charger. My kids have totally gone pass the 5.4 volts running my t4 more than once. I just charge em and use them. My second 4200wc pack came with 1- 0 volt cell. SMC gave me a new cell within a week. I've since charged the 0 cell and it has performed normal.(Danny I owe you a cell ) I'd say these IB cells are rock solid. I don't race in a club but i do have a 100 by 100' track on my property thats set up for high speed running and each battery gets used about 8 or 9 times a week. Just wanted to toss some positive into the IB pot. Dan.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Rick Howart - We are also releasing a "heavy" battery that weighs the same as an IB4200.
I would prefer to see heavy duty car parts that are more durable, if weight needs to be added somewhere, it would be nice to put it to better use.

I wonder which company will be the first to develop a Lipo based car, one designed around the weight of a Lipo baattery?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For everyone disgruntled with IB cells check out the EP cells. They have similar or better voltage and IR numbers but are more durable. There are many matchers that are starting to see the benefits of these cells.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

yup ep from now on.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Roger that on the EP cells. I race at least once a week if not twice and I've been running one EP pack twice each time. I'm still pulling the same top speed and continue to get faster and faster laps.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I would prefer to see heavy duty car parts that are more durable, if weight needs to be added somewhere, it would be nice to put it to better use.

I wonder which company will be the first to develop a Lipo based car, one designed around the weight of a Lipo baattery?
Already exists... it's called the JRXS-R.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yeaklet4
cells blow up cos you dont charge them right.....

if posted before but what amp charge rate and delta peak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.