Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
[?] - Hexagon Thread.. Breaks... - OS Engine .12TZ 5 Port. >

[?] - Hexagon Thread.. Breaks... - OS Engine .12TZ 5 Port.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[?] - Hexagon Thread.. Breaks... - OS Engine .12TZ 5 Port.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default [?] - Hexagon Thread.. Breaks... - OS Engine .12TZ 5 Port.

Hi Guys!

Im relatively new to the hobby (Nitro..)... just getng to know all the parts.. tweaks and all that..

I need to inspect my sleeve and inner stuff of my .12 os engine.. (done it a couple of times..) BUT now.. i really need to look at it.. Problem is.. the thread is broken..

I can take off 2 out of four hex screw but the remaining 2 is busted... Tried to use small pliers.. but i just cant rotate it! as i have really tightened it..

Is threre a tool to remove this.. or a technique?

I guess my last option is to saw the heat sink then use a wrench to take off the hex screws.. (but.. i just dont want to do this yet.. as the community.. might be able to share some tricks.. )

Tnx!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mate stripping hexes is inevetable, all racers experience it. But the technique most use is turning the screw into a flathead srew.

by using a dremel (mini grinding most racers have) with the cutting attachement or simply a cutting tool (eg hack saw), cut a slit in the centre of the screw spanning across it. this will allow you to undo the screw with a flathead driver.

you will then need to buy new screws and i suggest invest in titanium ones(stronger).

safe cutting REMO
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

ohh lol sorry just realized it was on the heatsink u were talking about.

lol my opinion your buggered.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

nothing you can do...cut off the cooling head and buy a replacement when you get the screws out.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC=Realy_Costly
lol my opinion your buggered.
make sure ur using the right driver i.e imperial or metric

if that doesnt change anything i agree with above post sorry
Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

if the head of the screws are stripped you can still save your heatsink by maybe drilling off the head of the screws. you will still have to figure out how to take the rest of the screw out of the engine block but you wont have to get a new heatsink. as long as no threadlocker was used, you should be able to drill off the heads of the stripped screws, remove the heatsink, then use pliers to unscrew whats left of the screws. then buy new screws and reassemble. maybe buy a good hex driver while you are at it so it doesnt happen again.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Addict

argh!

tnx guys for the quick response..

- also.. one of the things that i tried.. run the car full tank.. (of course.. the entire block will heat up..) my theory is it will loose up or something.. so i grab the pliers...

did not work

also.. ill get good screws.. argh! this kind of thing.. kinda tick me off! evertyhing.. is working fine.. and there is busted screw! hayyyyyyy!

ahhh well... i guess this kinda issues make nitro hobby more fun

Dredd = Thats what i am thinking.. cut the head off and vise the hex screw head.. = this will be my last option...

randay = Ill surely try this.. save my sink.. will look at this closely.. scarrrry if i wouldnt have enough screw left for the vise to grip it..

Tnx again!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Goto home depot and ask for a screw out bit. Theres a few options. Theres also a sharp bit from craftsman also that should be able to grab on anything with good pressure and remove the screws. Another idea , needle nose vice grips...but not sure if youll find one able to grab onto it.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Tnx a lot guys..

i guess ill be creative about this.. and.. be carefullllll..

this is my second engine.. my first was a disaster.. i learned my lessons..
Old 04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrwilson
Hi Guys!

Im relatively new to the hobby (Nitro..)... just getng to know all the parts.. tweaks and all that..

I need to inspect my sleeve and inner stuff of my .12 os engine.. (done it a couple of times..) BUT now.. i really need to look at it.. Problem is.. the thread is broken..

I can take off 2 out of four hex screw but the remaining 2 is busted... Tried to use small pliers.. but i just cant rotate it! as i have really tightened it..

Is threre a tool to remove this.. or a technique?

I guess my last option is to saw the heat sink then use a wrench to take off the hex screws.. (but.. i just dont want to do this yet.. as the community.. might be able to share some tricks.. )

Tnx!
will a hacksaw blade fit between the fins on the head and allow you to saw the head off the stripped bolts? if yes, the head can then be removed but then you still need to get out the remaining threaded portion of the bolts that are still in the case. then you could try drilling into the bolts with a SMALL drill bit and use a small ez-out to back the threaded parts out.....good luck...............