Durometer

Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by garen
I can not remember his name or his phone number though. Maybe someone else knows him?
His name was Boyd Gaebel (at least that's the guy who started MaxMod in the late 80's.) Don't know of any other info.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Superior Hobbies has the Max Mod Durometers in stock.....

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...id=MXM40001!SH
That's about as good a deal as you're going to find for one.

I have one similar to part #1388T2 from www.mcmaster.com. Yeah...they're pricey.

I got mine years ago, in the pre-Jaco days, where you would get a set of "Green" tires one month that were completely different from what you got the previous month.

Then Jack came along and rescued us all.

Boo inconsistent tire rubber.
Hooray Jack!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
What has been your experience with this meter? If it says 40 shore on the box, what type of reading do you get - and if you take the reading more than once, does it vary a lot?
You have to measure at least three to four spots around the tire and should be more than 60mm diameter trued of tire or you'll get false reading. Try to avoid placing the durometer on where they bonded, like some tires have three rings and some are two.

It's really hard to get the exact measurement due to different tire companies manufactures tire differently. Like I said some are 1 whole foam donut, and some have two to three rings foam donut bonded on each wheel.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just ordered that Max-Mod. Mark at Superior was kind enough to pull a few sets of Jacos off the wall and check them for me. Fronts and rears read about 5- 6 higher than rated on the box, so thats good enough for me.

I've never seen many read lower. Can't beat it for the price!!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
You have to measure at least three to four spots around the tire and should be more than 60mm diameter trued of tire or you'll get false reading. Try to avoid placing the durometer on where they bonded, like some tires have three rings and some are two.

It's really hard to get the exact measurement due to different tire companies manufactures tire differently. Like I said some are 1 whole foam donut, and some have two to three rings foam donut bonded on each wheel.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cdelong
I just ordered that Max-Mod. Mark at Superior was kind enough to pull a few sets of Jacos off the wall and check them for me. Fronts and rears read about 5- 6 higher than rated on the box, so thats good enough for me.

That's great that you've found one. Now for the big question..

Why do you think you need one?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

you should spend more time at the track instead of online
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hhahahaha and I thought I was on here a lot too...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

So you know what shore the tires are that your putting on your car.

For example you buy some grp tires and some jacos. What it says on the box is not always right.

You grab out of the box the grps rated at 40 shore and there 45 on the meter , then the jacos say 40 on the box and are more like 41 on the meter. Therefore lets say you didnt have one, when you run your car you notice lets say the jacos grip better. Automatically your going to think well jaco is the better tire.

Where as in reality its just a lower shore. This way when you pick from you box , perhaps the tire is old , new or different company. You know exactly what shore it REALLY is. Or you know next time youll need to buy 37 shore to get closer to the real 40 durometer range that your car seems to like better...etc etc.

Also when using it you will want to find what works best and use the durometer to get a base reading for whats a good tire on the track you run. This way as stated above no matter what when you grab a tire out of the box , if its off a bit you can get them to the range you want by searching out the ranges with the meter.

Now one thought to remember a cold reading is probably going to be higher than a hot reading. So try both , im betting if a tire is +5 more shore off the shelf , on the car and after being trued and hot from the track itll probably be more in the range of what was on the box.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Heres another one.

http://www.windtunnelracingproducts....roducts_id=254
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately, we don't have a permanent track here and there really isn't a place to run when we're not racing.

Not only that, I got up extremely early on my day off - 5:45 a.m.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
So you know what shore the tires are that your putting on your car.

For example you buy some grp tires and some jacos. What it says on the box is not always right.

You grab out of the box the grps rated at 40 shore and there 45 on the meter , then the jacos say 40 on the box and are more like 41 on the meter. Therefore lets say you didnt have one, when you run your car you notice lets say the jacos grip better. Automatically your going to think well jaco is the better tire.

Where as in reality its just a lower shore. This way when you pick from you box , perhaps the tire is old , new or different company. You know exactly what shore it REALLY is. Or you know next time youll need to buy 37 shore to get closer to the real 40 durometer range that your car seems to like better...etc etc.

Also when using it you will want to find what works best and use the durometer to get a base reading for whats a good tire on the track you run. This way as stated above no matter what when you grab a tire out of the box , if its off a bit you can get them to the range you want by searching out the ranges with the meter.

Now one thought to remember a cold reading is probably going to be higher than a hot reading. So try both , im betting if a tire is +5 more shore off the shelf , on the car and after being trued and hot from the track itll probably be more in the range of what was on the box.
See? Look at all this great info I got out of a simple questions. Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Artificial I is on the money. You should only use it as a tool to measure one set of tires against another set in YOUR inventory. This should not in any way be used to QC (Quality Control) a munufacturers shore rating. I give the same explaination for engine dynos. I want to purchase one, but like others the price is a lil steep for me, and i am far from cheap when it comes to this hobby. Maybe it will be different for you, but i have not seen that it will improve how my car handles that much. if the set that is marked 40 runs better than the box marked 38 then that is what I run. Same with engine tuning...Who cares if the temp gauge reads 290...The car is fast, and I see smoke, the tune is good. Sometimes we over think things, especially with all the tools out there. Just....Try your best, and HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I ordered one yesterday myself. That means that there are only two left. Everyone better hurry!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

It looks to be a great deal!! Less than $90 to the door

The bonus is that it was checked on site before they shipped it to me and is relatively accurate in comparison to Jaco's box ratings. Not that I want to QC manufacturers ratings, but it's good to know it's right in the ballpark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.