Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fioroni Turbo Sliding Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Fioroni Turbo Sliding Clutch Question

I am using the Turbo Sliding clutch on an RB 928. I have tried the standard 2 shoe and the Twin Turbo shoes, black shoes on both set ups. On both, the shim center hole elongates and ends up to the side, inside the clutch bell.

The shim is installed correctly. The only thing I can think of is the end play on this clutch bell should be less than a regular 3 shoe clutch. Does anyone know for sure what the end play on the clutch bell should be on this clutch? Is it less than a standard 3 shoe?

Any help from those that are using this set up successfully is appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When we run that Fioroni we usually don't use that brass washer for that reason sometimes. We use a spring steel washer like the Mugen Diff washers (not sure the part #). They are the same size as the brass one and don't wear out or egg the hole like the brass does...
Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

+1, Same here, that washer use to be steel but since they went to brass they are worthless..
Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Jeff and cwalters--thanks for the reply. Since my buggy and truggy are Mugen, I had the diff shim on hand. I put it in against the clutch then a .3mm Kyosho clutch shim against the bearing. This was close to the overall thickness of the original Fioroni brass shim. I have a race today, I will let you know how it holds up.

Thanks again, Paul
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am using the Turbo Sliding clutch on an RB 928. I have tried the standard 2 shoe and the Twin Turbo shoes, black shoes on both set ups. On both, the shim center hole elongates and ends up to the side, inside the clutch bell.
The only clutches I use are Fioroni and RMV. I have 8 Turbo sliders and 2 RMV and typically do not use the brass washer unless I can't find an end bell and clutch spacer combo that will give me the right end bell play. On the rare occasions that I have used the brass washer, I have only "egg shaped' the washer once, when the bearings were shot. I don't believe the lateral play or end play will by itself distort the washer but if you have bearings going south and the clutch bell wobbles it can forces the washer from side to side causing a less then concentric center hole. I prefer to use the inexpensive .99 cent bearings and change them every time I race. I have found that I have fewer failure this way and the cheaper bearings will make 3 heats and a main with no problem. Good luck.

Jim
Old 03-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Just returned from a race. The Mugen diff shim work perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Paul