Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total cost per race...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

mrblack, that sounds great, but the only problem with "one design" classes is the lack of brand competition... or are you saying any chassis with those characteristics? the trinity spec class was like this, not sure why it failed, but personally i feel even a spec class probably has to have a reasonable level of performance.. man i'd love to see those f103gt's take off.. 2wd is so efficient even with "slow" motors.. and it uses relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain touring tires..
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We are starting a spec class this spring. 8-10 people each get a ta05. We are using the same electronics and same batteries. We have to build the car at the store so we can't add any hop ups. After the races are over for the day all the cars are then palced in the back of the store until next weekend. This way no one can change anything on the car. After each race the cars are placed on a table. You can blow then off and re oil stuff but thats about it. This is just parking lot races. We justed wanted a fair feild where driving skill matters not how much money you have.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBlack
LOL! I was talkng about "Spec" class. Modified is actually cheaper to run when you break it down.

I used to work in the "full Scale" racing industry and their idea of spec is buy part put it on un-modified, R/C 's idea of spec is buy part re-engineer it.

Two different worlds that cannot truly be compared.

I think a true "spec class" that would support and grow would have to have the following:

• The use of approved ESC only based on a maximum cost limit
• Sealed un-modifiable motors that are maintenance free.
•*LiPo batteries
• All chassis parts (hubs, bulk heads, suspension arms, shock towers, shock bodies etc. must be plastic or fiber glass, the use of Carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum is not permitted beyond mounting hardware and motor mount.
• Drive train components can be Aluminum
• Shock shafts, king pins and suspension links must be steal.
• No tractions additives (there are ways to check)
• Spec tire insert (not to be modified)
• 1 set of tires must be used for the entire event (if event is multiple days then tires will be impounded)
• Fixed gearing
• Spec body sold precut with molded in wing.

This makes the only adjustments your car setup, Radio and driving style and for those that are true racers this is what they are after. Those that enjoy seeing what they can get away with or feel the need for a "fair" advantage they have had it their way for the last decade and it has proven to be a losing formula.

For those that like all the gadgets and tweaks that is what Modified was designed for, race it.
Sounds just like our Mini class. We follow TCS rules except for allowing LiPo and we're thinking the same thing for a GT3 class based on TCS rules but with LiPo. We may tweek it a little bit to allow all tub chassis though so people can use other brands then just Tamiya.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Race costs

Wow you guys spend just that?

Try living on an island with high import duties and a different currency to boot.

I'm not complaining but I think down here a race weekend will easily cost 3 to 4 times whatever you guys are spending up North. When we race abroad the cost of a race weekend quickly grows also.

I think at the end of the day if you really enjoy what you're doing you should be willing to pay to play. I have been involved in full scale drag racing before and the amount of money that goes into that specific sport just blows your mind, both from the driver/team perspective as from the sponsors perspective.

Good thing the wife doesnt see the credit card receipts whew!