Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should Pro Drivers Be Racing In Stock? >

Should Pro Drivers Be Racing In Stock?

Should Pro Drivers Be Racing In Stock?

Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I have been doing this for a very long time and there is no way on earth I could hold on to a mod car. I would spend buckets of money in broken parts, cracked bodies and god only knows what my tire bill would be. Thank god the race organizers and tech staff wouldn't have to put in any effort.

I have been trying to figure out what #4 on your list is? The only thing you have left out that would ruin my week more than being forced to race mod would be a handout kick to the groin.

Man U know its guys like u kwquark or kwik or whatever you call your self that make it hard for guys like me to make post.....As u can see i was only trying to make the point that stock is a joke at the Nats....All the stock guys do is my motor this, my battery that, and the worst part is the guy probly is not all that good to begin with....

If u have been doing this a long time and still cant hold on to a mod car well sounds like you fall in to the not so good department and thats probly why u had something to say about my post.....

I dont see how you would spend any more money on parts,tires,bodies,ect....by running mod.

Every guy that I have come across that runs stock spends more money on the Brush/motor/battery/whatever other go fast tool of the week that he can get his hands on.

Like I said in the origanal post it is only my opinion

Jared Scott
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
The only thing you have left out that would ruin my week more than being forced to race mod would be a handout kick to the groin.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Each of those classes is a different discipline. Just like the difference between electric TC, nitro TC, 1/8 on-road, 1/8 off-road, 2wd buggy, stadium truck, 1/18 off road, etc.... Not to mention all the subdivisions in each discipline respectively.

Considering the possibility of moving people from stock to 19t and then on to mod will gradually improve driving skill. If you can't hold on to a mod but can competently drive a stock car then chances are pretty good that you can run a 19t car. Also with improvements in brushless technology for cars the added motor maintnence that has been a staple of 19t and mod will virtually dissapear. And because the equipment needed to race stock is NO different from the equipment for mod there is no added cost there. Sure you may go from wearing out a set of tires in 2 weeks to 1 week and you may spend an extra $30 a month on car maintnence but you eliminate the need for the best batteries or the motor of the month.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cherry Poop
Only race mod , for more than a few years now ...
Completely stop supporting the stock program long ago and will continue untill the beginner`s get their race back
and team driver`s such as your self do the same....
So you were abducted by aliens? That explains a lot ... care to entertain us with a story? I'd love to hear this....I'd even pay to see you post it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Desolas
So you were abducted by aliens? That explains a lot ... care to entertain us with a story? I'd love to hear this....I'd even pay to see you post it.
havent we all been.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 PM

havent we all been.
No dude, that was LSD. Different. No anal probes involved.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No dude, that was LSD. Different. No anal probes involved.
Thats what I thought at first.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Tech Master

This topic is a very tough topic indeed.......Looking at it on a business end it could definately have a huge impact on the market...When everyday racers/individuals look to buy a kit or a product they no doubt put alot of weight on one products performance within stock racing...For this reason I can not blame manufacturers for having "factory stock drivers"....However if a driver wants to limit him/her self to a lower class without challenging themselves against the highest level of competition then that is there choice.....For the most part stock racers are privatiers(unsponsored), much like it it should be...In my own view stock should be a stepping stone to 19turn/mod but it should be based on ones own personal decision to move up to a higher class.....Some people are simply not ready to run mod regardless of how dominate they are in a lower class..... I feel that after racing in a stock class and consistantly placing in the top 3 or so for a year or 2, you are ready to move to a higher class...However in the end I feel the decision should be made by the individual running the class and if they want to advance there skills or if they want to sandbag for a win. In other words..............Man up, race mod an run against the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Congrats you are the STOCK NATIONAL CHAMPION FOR 5 YEARS RUNNING(please note sarcasim)...
Old 03-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You definitely get a sense that companies value a win in stock over something like TQ in mod. Maybe they're selling more stock motor than mod. Still, it sends the message that winning stock is better than TQ in mod. That's not a whole lot of incentive to move up, 'cause mod is hard, and might require some practice.

http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/new...?newsdesk_id=4
Old 03-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Its just funny that some people believe that "sponsored" or "pro" drivers set the racing bar so high, they they would want to kick them out of a class instead of beat them fair and square. If this is how it should be, then perhaps the pro drivers that have been world champions should be seperated from the average pro drivers.

This hobby has become really really sad. ROAR tried making a 10 turn motor limit so you slow losers could keep up in modified, but you guys still lost to the pro's, and you complained again. Then you guys made the 19 turn class popular (what is the difference between a 10 turn spec class or a 19 turn spec class anyway?), and the pros beat you agian. So now you guys are complaining about the stock class and getting beat by the pro's once agian.

This is how it will be, refer "Stock" class to "Amature" 27 turn class from now on. Anybody racing in the amature class will be considered an amature driver. Any company sponsoring an amature driver from this point on will be looked down upon and its products will be boycotted. Any amature that accepts sponsorship shall race "Intermediate" 19 turn class.

Now, as long as your ego's can handle being called an "amature", and you can resist buying the fastest stuff to boycott a company, everything should work well.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Its just funny that some people believe that "sponsored" or "pro" drivers set the racing bar so high, they they would want to kick them out of a class instead of beat them fair and square. If this is how it should be, then perhaps the pro drivers that have been world champions should be seperated from the average pro drivers.

This hobby has become really really sad. ROAR tried making a 10 turn motor limit so you slow losers could keep up in modified,
Wrong, a bunch of motors blew windings or became unbalanced on long asphalt tracks. They wanted to try to keep the motors together, but a 10 turn @ 45 deg. of timing blows up even faster. Once they started changing the wire gauge and Kevlar wrapping the arms, things were fine.

but you guys still lost to the pro's, and you complained again. Then you guys made the 19 turn class popular (what is the difference between a 10 turn spec class or a 19 turn spec class anyway?),
Uh, about 9 winds on the arm, also the 24 degrees of timing that is built in.

and the pros beat you agian. So now you guys are complaining about the stock class and getting beat by the pro's once agian.

This is how it will be, refer "Stock" class to "Amature" 27 turn class from now on. Anybody racing in the amature class will be considered an amature driver. Any company sponsoring an amature driver from this point on will be looked down upon and its products will be boycotted. Any amature that accepts sponsorship shall race "Intermediate" 19 turn class.

Now, as long as your ego's can handle being called an "amature", and you can resist buying the fastest stuff to boycott a company, everything should work well.
Guess what, there does need to be a class to start racing in. Personally, I will race anyone who enters the class. But if you think the hobby grows from the current situation, you are insane. Esp. at the local tracks, where the beginner gets run over, and feels intimidated. Unfortunately there is no effort to rectify this situation. However most people here can't see six inches in front of their face, let alone the trees for the forest, so I don't have a lot of faith.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Jared, McMoney, thanks for your comments. It is nice to see guys who have competed at the highest levels care enough to post.

RobK, stole the words from my mouth.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Drag racers have kept their motors together for decades with more voltage and rpm, it wasn't to keep motors together, it was to keep motor and brush wear down. The average guys couldn't keep up with a 10 turn spec modified class, can't keep up in a 19 turn spec class, and can't keep up in a stock spec class either.

There is a class for people to start racing in, its called novice class, and its also the lower mains in every class, remember what qualifing is for? To seperate the drivers by their ability. If new racers are getting intimidated, its because the track dosen't offer a freindly atmosphere to new customers, its because the average seasoned racers are running them over. When are the pro's running over racers? When are the pro's setting a bad example and making racing look bad? For the last 24 years I've been racing, everybody has looked up to the pro's and aspired to drive like them.

Their are plenty of means to encourage and promote entry level drivers, blame the track owners for the lack of that. The pro drivers make stock class look good.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me
You definitely get a sense that companies value a win in stock over something like TQ in mod. Maybe they're selling more stock motor than mod. Still, it sends the message that winning stock is better than TQ in mod. That's not a whole lot of incentive to move up, 'cause mod is hard, and might require some practice.
I did a sloppy write up of that in 2 minutes. The headline reads "Team Brood TQ's and Wins Stock at 2007 Nats." Meaning we TQ'd (Mod and Stock) and also Won (stock) at the 2007 Nats. Headlines don't look as good when they are a full paragraph in length. Don't read anything into something I whipped out in a couple of minutes because I was trying to post something after our news database died. Don't look for a conspiracy where there is none. We want to win every class of racing.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I did a sloppy write up of that in 2 minutes. The headline reads "Team Brood TQ's and Wins Stock at 2007 Nats." Meaning we TQ'd (Mod and Stock) and also Won (stock) at the 2007 Nats. Headlines don't look as good when they are a full paragraph in length. Don't read anything into something I whipped out in a couple of minutes because I was trying to post something after our news database died. Don't look for a conspiracy where there is none. We want to win every class of racing.
That makes sense about the headline. I wasn't looking for a conspiracy, but you very clearly mention stock ahead of mod in the news item. How can you infer anything from that other than a win is stock is more valuable to you than 2nd in mod? I know Travis is br00d's boy and all, but Chris is pretty good too.

Anyway, I'm sure it's a nice problem to have, trying to decide which win you want to brag about the most this week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.