Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Pro Drivers Be Racing In Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Smyka, again, I think if anyone blames the drivers, they have no right. You race what you can, what you choose, and where you get whatever incentive your sponsors provide (being monetary, in parts or in perks). The problem with "pro drivers" in the lower categories is beyond the drivers that participate in these categories control. It is the responsibility of the manufacturers that sponsor these guys(and I'm talking major, not a support motor/battery guy or a 50% guy or even a 100% parts guy) to see how it hurts turnouts at local, regional and national level events. There could be the same level of entries at big events, probably even more if they provided the incentives in the higher categories, rather than the ones that should be for amateurs. The guys running and dominating in these lower classes should be expected to run in the more advanced categories by their sponsors. This would keep the playing field a little more "fair" for the average guy at a National Level event and grow turnouts and the development of their drivers on a Regional and Local level. I know electric offroad is a bad example now (due to the turnouts-but that is probably due to the popularity of Nitro vs. the way events are run), but in the days when it was going strong, this was and still is the norm.

If there is something to change, is the way major manufacturers and event organizers handle this kind of situatuion in racing. I think many people would agree that if the terms and conditions of this kind of participation were better and agreed upon, racing would be a lot more fun for everyone, these "pros" would run in the advanced categories and we would get the one thing this industry needs the most: NEW RACERS.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mainracer
''Stock racers carry a lot more corner speed than the mod guys'' huh ?
LMAO!!!!! This thread is awesome, I'm REALLY glad that someone started another one . But then again, pinheads need to be able to voice their opinion in atleast one thread right? This thread will be my homepage for the next few days so I have something to laugh at everytime I open up my web browser .
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

I havent read through this thread, but I think i am the only, or one of the few that would actually want to have pro's run stock. It gives a good idea how you compare to some of the best in the world without being out of control running mod if you cant even handle the power. And the, "they get the best batteries and motors" saying is a load of rubbish as well. People can get store bought packs that are just as good as team packs, and as soon as you learn ther basics of tuning motors then there is no advantage what so ever.

Some people may just prefere to run stock, and people should get over it and race, because in my eyes, winning a national event against some nobody driver doesnt mean nearly as much as winning or making the amain against guys like drew, peeler, tj, goetz, johnson, etc
Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Dont' be fooled. No you cannot get the same packs that the pro's run. Why do you think their numbers on their batteries are covered up so you can't see what they are most of the time? You can match the skill level of pro drivers but you can't match the level of their equipment. Sure, if you're good enough you can break through and be in the show with them guys from time to time, if you're lucky and peel enough guys in your lower qualifiers to make your way up. But you can't possibly do it consistently against guys with unlimited equipment resources.

If your hobby shop bill is 2-3 hundred bucks a month and you pretty much get everything free, Imagine the guy who doesn't get anything free and has to try to match not only your driving ability but your equipment resources.

Factory guys: Run whatcha want but dont' expect any respect for winning stock races as a factory driver, Unless your winning big races against the big boys in Mod.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

There's an easy way to stop the same guys winning the stock class all the time,RULE- If you win a national title in the stock class you MUST MOVE UP TO THE NEXT LEVEL! Same rule applies all the way up to open mod.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrighter
I can see someone getting paid taking it a little more serious but for the most part it's still grown men playing with toy cars. I do it, and love it. I'm somewhat competitive but for the most part I realize it is what it is.. A HOBBY! Do I want to win, heck ya! Do I really care if I get beat week after week from the same guy that should be pro.. No. I may care at the time but I'm not going to stew on it all day and post something on the internet about it. I have a job, wife and kids. This is my relaxing time. If I were good enough to be deemed a "pro driver" I wouldn't move up. Maybe I don't want to go to every event, maybe my real job and family are more important. Look at it this way... A good portion of these "pro toy car controllers" are in their late twenties and over and live at home with mommy and daddy. Yeah, I look up to that. I'd rather look up to a skid mark in my underwear. I call them controllers because they aren't actually in the car driving..

Ok..you say you won't post on the internet about pro drivers racing in stock....

...but you will reply to a post on the internet about pro drivers racing in stock.

LOL, I think you're a 40 year old living you know where. HEHEHE
Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sigearhead
Dont' be fooled. No you cannot get the same packs that the pro's run. Why do you think their numbers on their batteries are covered up so you can't see what they are most of the time? You can match the skill level of pro drivers but you can't match the level of their equipment.
Gah! I try to stay out of these things, but sometimes... well you know...
Ok actually a lot of the time you can get batteries that are just as good or VERY close to the packs factory drivers get. While a battery might not have numbers that are quite as good as a factory drivers numbers, can you honestly tell me you can feel much of a difference? If any? Ill answer that for you, no. Even the difference between a 1.223 pack and a 1.208 pack is very small, and it's not likely that it will make a difference in your lap times unless you are a damn good driver and can harness any advantage your car has. When I've done testing, or guys I know have, with things such as esc settings which changing them gives a similar feel to a battery with slightly more or less "rip", the lap times are right there consistant. It's not like factory drivers are getting a different cell then the public is. The biggest player in the battery game is how fresh the packs are, which is one spot the factory guys have a big advantage if they're getting fresh packs more often. I myself have seen batteries in the shop that have better numbers than stuff I have received at national races before, so it DOES happen. But they're cars aren't faster than yours because they have better numbers, sorry but that's just not it.

And if you really can match the skill level of a factory driver, then how come you aren't full factory as well? There's a reason guys are getting free stuff, it's not just random draw.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've proven to myself that batteries aren't that big of deal,the only time I buy fresh cells is for a national level event,because at these events you need every once of power you can muster even if it's only a .1 it could be the difference between the "A" or the "B" and if I have fresh cells I can focus on the chassis without wondering if it's my cells.I've seen pro guys get beat with off the counter packs so I feel pretty sure it's not in the cells.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sigearhead
Dont' be fooled. No you cannot get the same packs that the pro's run. .

you've been out of it for a while.....anyone can get the same packs nowadays
the packs in the hobby shop are the same was what the factory guys run.
I had 1.237 voltage with a 434 runtime and a1.5 IR. for the nationals and lower than that for the snowbirds. and my 19 Turn packs were lower voltage and higher runtime. I saw SMC packs in the hobby shop at CEFX with the EXACT same numbers. battery isnt the issue, its how you maintain them.
Batteries was an excuse 3 years ago but not anymore.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

MY BEST ADVICE......try and follow a GOOD DRIVER around for a lap...see where his car is compared to yours....maybe let that good driver race behind you for a lap and see where you are 2 to 3 feet of the board and where he is 1to 2 inches....I think equpiment is getting to much of the balme and not an individuals TALLENT! Ever think of that.....TALLENT you know the same reason you guys are not winning Superbowls, or Cy Young Awards....OHhhh, my bad, that makes people feel bad....It is easyer to blame the equpiment and the other drivers then to ever look at yourself, or try to hone your skills! EVERYONE JUST HAS ALL THE ADVANATAGES YOU DONT! Well, your right, pick up your toys and go home, hard work-pointless-Dedcation-overrated-Spending more time at the track and less time on the internet cring about it, might make you better...Ever ask one of these "pros" how much time and effort,pratice,testing, and how much of there OWN MONEY, they shell out? I dout it, to busy blameing them for your latest loss. "Ohhh, there so good and have free stuff" Hey find the guy who has the same car as you, ask him about setup, driving styles, and he might even hook you up with some parts if you need them...Thats part of there job as being one of these "pro" drivers...supporting the YOUTH, or the new racers....Time and Time again, I watch people blame everyone else but themselves for there own FAILURES! Well pull your pants up and dive in, everyone here crawled before they walked right? I thought so...Everyone of these "pro" drivers does one thing nobody wants to admit....PRATICE,PRATICE,PRATICE at some point they spent hours just driving, days, months, years, A drivers biggest asset is being able to become fimilar and comfortable with the track....The more tracks you run on the more types of corners,hairpins, and switchbacks you will have seen, hence the more comfortable you will be when you see them again...

So has everyone figured out it is there own fault for not being sucessfull?

Great! Have a good day!

Mike Wise
2007 Carpet Invitational Champion....oops to soon!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
to easy...and they don't "pay" that well...OOPS! the secret is out!
Then how about

Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

I'll take it! Where do I sign?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

I present to you....Seaballs colon......on McSmooths avatar.....
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

are you sure it's his colon or is it his Esophagus ?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Mal

For those people complaining about equipment, try this ... next time you're at the track, ask one of the local sponsored drivers to take a few laps with your car. Most of the time they will run faster laptimes, that's if you're car isn't pile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.