Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Battery cooling - Is it that much important ? >

Battery cooling - Is it that much important ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery cooling - Is it that much important ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Post Battery cooling - Is it that much important ?

Hi all,

These past few days I've been watching Several famous online shop in order to buy a battery cooler with fan (Plus heatsink if possible)

Yet, I wonder Wether it worths buying one or not.

My gear is :
-Robitronic Overloader (I always charge with the sensor, set at about 45-52 °Celsius)
-Spintec Batman V2
-Several equalizing tray dischargers.

When i use linear discharging on my Overloader (@20A, 1.0 V on IB and 0.9 V on other), I notice the batteries become very hot ! Sometimes It even goes beyond 55 °Celsius.
I have no ideas if it's good or not for the cells

On the whole guys, do you really think that battery coolers are useful when discharging and charging ? Should I buy one somehow ?
Is it simply commercial or really useful ?

Thanks for your reply ,
Chile
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

some recommend it for charging but i dont. the cell will have the least resistance while it is relatively warm. so no on cooling while charging. i say yes on discharging. this will keep the cells from breaking down chemically because they do get extremely hot during a linear 20-amp discharge cycle.

-Zac
Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hang on you say there is more resistance when its cold? that goes against physics??
i personally think yes u want a battery to peak at around 45'c as it will warm to 48'c (out side temp is initially cooler than internal temp then they equilize) so if your batterys arnt delta peaking before temp cut off use a heat sink but u need a certain amount of heat to cause the chemical reaction inside the battery which realeases energy.
this is what i have gathered from other people.
i am not an electrical engineer!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

For a battery, warmer conditions allow ions in the chemicals to flow better. For wires, colder conditions allow the wires to carry more current (lower resistance).

Adding a fan will cause cells to peak later. However, this is not always beneficial because as soon as u take the fan away, the temperature will rise to a point where it will have the potential to damage the battery.

That's what i think is true haha
Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Allright. Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna order a battery cooling that I'll only use when discharging my batteries.
From what you said and from what I read somewhere else It's not good to cool down during charge. . Moreover, I live in Europe where the weather is quite warm in summer and cold the other seasons.
So I won't blow air on my batteries

I think That's the best thing to do.

Again, thanks for your help. If you got any other advices I'm still there