Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Silvers are in stock. I like those a touch better then golds.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

L
Originally Posted by rider313
Silvers are in stock. I like those a touch better then golds.
At lots of tracks in the Midwest, Gold works and nothing else will do (from Jconcepts, anyway).

Edit, though Dirt Webs aren't the only tread I find to work well, they're just closer to "ready" since the tread is so low already.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

I got my fingers crossed for a 22 3.0 finnisher body. Im also working on a carbon rear tower design, kinda like the ones you guys made for the centro/b5m. Do you guys have any plans for something like that on the 3.0? Gotta love that carbon fiber look
Old 11-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Somebody link me to some enlightenment or just school me here....
I'm green. Like been running buggy for 4 months green.
I guess in the simplest of terms my question would be,
Why not run mega softs always everywhere?? Whould the softest tire not hook up best every time?
I already know the answer but I have no idea why. What really stumps me right now is clay compounds vs. .....ummm not clay? Normal? What's normal? Outdoors? My local track is indoor clay but it gets crazy dusty and SS or MS seem to be the norm. Louisville is predominantly SS to the best of my knowledge.
Tonight in Indianapolis SS was eeeehhhh ok.... tried MS and it got worse. Found out most were on Clay Golds.
Guh.
What's the difference between clay and "normal" and how would you decide what to use?
Old 11-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

The idea in full scale auto racing is that soft tires are great until they wear out. They can also overheat quickly and lose grip even under normal conditions.

So the strategy is to run the softest tire you can that lasts for the endurance of the race, but also one that doesn't act weird when it gets up to operating temperature.

I would imagine that the same would be true at 1/10th scale. I just read where Lee Martin was having issues with his rear tires overheating at the EOS race last weekend. Since they run handout tires he had no choice to go to a harder compound.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Looks like JC is offering many of their new tread designs in 60mm (similar to 2.4, VTR, EVO) for both 2WD and 4WD buggies (e.g. Smoothies and Reflex). Paul replied on a previous page that they're not likely going to release 2.2 Smoothies. While stock guys are definitely running 60mm/2.4, many of the mod guys in 2wd and 4wd are still running 2.2's at my local tracks (OCRC, LRH, etc.). I tracked down Maifield's Surf City OCRC setup and it says he was running 60mm front and 2.2 rear. Odd.

Have people transitioned over to 60mm across the board elsewhere in the U.S.? Just picked up a new wheeler and eyeing some 60mm Bar Flys to run on my 2wd and 4wd buggies though I'll probably be an odd man out. Maybe it's because people run AE or TLR wheels for the most part and stick with the 2.2s?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OriginalDonk
Looks like JC is offering many of their new tread designs in 60mm (similar to 2.4, VTR, EVO) for both 2WD and 4WD buggies (e.g. Smoothies and Reflex). Paul replied on a previous page that they're not likely going to release 2.2 Smoothies. While stock guys are definitely running 60mm/2.4, many of the mod guys in 2wd and 4wd are still running 2.2's at my local tracks (OCRC, LRH, etc.). I tracked down Maifield's Surf City OCRC setup and it says he was running 60mm front and 2.2 rear. Odd.

Have people transitioned over to 60mm across the board elsewhere in the U.S.? Just picked up a new wheeler and eyeing some 60mm Bar Flys to run on my 2wd and 4wd buggies though I'll probably be an odd man out. Maybe it's because people run AE or TLR wheels for the most part and stick with the 2.2s?
Im running both.... I guess that leave a little explanation.
I have found that the 60mm flexes the wheel more than the tire/sidewall. So when the track is a little looser, I will run the 2.2's until traction comes up. But I have really been fond of the Reflex tire. I am using it as my all around tire when I cant figure what else I want to run. It feels very neutral to me in all conditions. Provides good traction on loose tracks but gives a little wiggle room on the high bite surfaces. My daughter really likes the Hybrids but is starting to like the Dirt Webs...

Wish they would just go to one size and be done with it. Not just JC but all companies. It would make things so much simpler!

For wheels, I run both AE and TLR ( soon to be exclusively AE when my CE gets here). I have measured the off-sets of the stock AE, TLR as well as the PL, JC, AKA, Sweep and DE wheels.
In order of wide to narrow track width...
AE
PL
AKA/JC
Sweep/DE
TLR

They range from 28.5mm( TLR stockers) up to 29.25mm (AE Stockers)
Its nice to have those options as a tuning aid if you want to use them.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jerm. Good stuff. Looks like I'm going to be running 60mm on all four corners for my 2wd and 4wd if I want to run Smoothies or Bar Flys.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 22 3.0 body

When can we expect the S2 body for the 22 3.0? Or any 22 3.0 body? I am not a fan of the TLR stocker. thx!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skrichter
When can we expect the S2 body for the 22 3.0? Or any 22 3.0 body? I am not a fan of the TLR stocker. thx!
I'm thinking the end of the month or first of Jan.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have found that 60mm fronts have a little less overall grip than 2.2, I've run 60mm front/2.2 rear when I need a little less initial turn in. The foams, being thinner are a little less progressive. They may have similar levels of traction, but 60mm break traction a little more abruptly. This is just my experience, yours may vary. The only way to know is to try them all and come to your own conclusion.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Any chance Paul can weigh in on why some of the newer tires (Bar Flys and Smoothies) were released in 60mm instead of 2.2? Business decision to tap into the massive stock racing surge here in the U.S.?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Any chance Paul can weigh in on why some of the newer tires (Bar Flys and Smoothies) were released in 60mm instead of 2.2? Business decision to tap into the massive stock racing surge here in the U.S.?
I actually answered a similar question earlier in the year before ROAR made them legal

The racers/consumers seemed pretty adamant that 2.4/60+mm was the next best thing since slice bread based off one tire, so we wanted to give the customers what they wanted and not miss out in case the tides turned. Unfortunately it takes a tremendous amount of time and money to make this all happen and we had been working on it for a long time. So after 10's of thousands of dollars and a whole new line-up (5 new patterns front and rear for 2wd and 4wd along with all new wheels front and rear for multiple vehicles), we now offer the latest and greatest. During all this time, drivers are realizing 2.2 wheels/tires didn't magically stop working .
Old 12-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Somebody link me to some enlightenment or just school me here....
I'm green. Like been running buggy for 4 months green.
I guess in the simplest of terms my question would be,
Why not run mega softs always everywhere?? Whould the softest tire not hook up best every time?
I already know the answer but I have no idea why. What really stumps me right now is clay compounds vs. .....ummm not clay? Normal? What's normal? Outdoors? My local track is indoor clay but it gets crazy dusty and SS or MS seem to be the norm. Louisville is predominantly SS to the best of my knowledge.
Tonight in Indianapolis SS was eeeehhhh ok.... tried MS and it got worse. Found out most were on Clay Golds.
Guh.
What's the difference between clay and "normal" and how would you decide what to use?
The big difference is how the traction is generated and the pin type that is needed. If you always run the softest tire even in looser conditions that require a pin rather than a bar-type tire, the pins can "fold over" and make the car feel very squirmy.

Now, for clay compounds: Clay tires create traction different than other compounds. The goal with normal compounds is to either dig into/through the dirt, or to stick to the dirt via softer, stickier compounds. With clay tracks, nothing really sticks to it so a special compound is needed. They create their traction by scraping against the track surface rather than sticking to it. This is why, at least in my area, people will start on super soft tires for slicks (soft, sticky, stick to the dirt) when it's wet and then switch to clay treads for when it dries out a little bit. However, every kind of dirt is different and honestly it just takes a lot of tribal knowledge and experience to make the right tire choice for the right conditions.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Ever plan on releasing an updated DEX210 body? The existing Finnisher looks great, but doesn't clear the bulges in the side pods, and the bodies from Durango look... uh... "unique".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.