Search
Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iDesign5
I was just curious if maybe Dirt Webs in orange or red would be a viable solution to indoor off-road for carpet? I hate running PL carpet tires when I exclusively buy JConcepts stuff.... We still have a fair ways to go ground wise before we can head outside to the dirt.
The best choice for carpet are yellow Schumacher Minipins/ LP Cut Staggers. PL's carpet tires don't even come close.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have a couple of questions for you guys:
1. You guys seemed to back off on your support of the Shortcourse classes and haven't come out with any new bodies in quite some time (scale bodies don't count in my book since those are geared towards bashers and nobody uses them to race with). Are you planning on any new bodies? That Ford Atlas body would be super cool if it were made into an SC body, love that front end! I'd think you guys would want to support SC since they go through bodies and tires fairly quickly compared to buggies. Last I checked, you guys are in the Body and tire business, so I'd think you'd want to support the class since it's a money maker. It's simple business 101 right there lol I'm hoping with JC's close relationship with AE, that once the B5/B5m based SC's come out, hopefully you guys will come out with some new bodies as well and help reinvigorate the class

2. I ask this question periodically and it still hasn't happened, but I have my hopes...are you guys planning to finally give us Pre-cut bodies? I haven't run a JC body in years on my Shortcourse trucks simply because it's easier to mount my Pre-cut Proline bodies (and TLR Pre-cuts before I switched brands). I know I'm not alone in this, because I talk to people about it all the time at the track.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Prepping Dirt Tech Insert Update Results

Originally Posted by aeRayls
As another guy mentioned. Use a leather punch that you use to put holes in your tires. Put 2 or 3 holes in each of the inner ribs. Flipping it inside out is a huge help.

When I first got the 60mm wheels and tires I tried 3 things:

1. Stock insert nothing done to it. This was too firm for my medium grip bumpy indoor track.
2 stock insert cut. This was by far better for my conditions.

3. Open cell insert. I stuffed a 2.2 open cell insert in there. It actually doesn't feel too bad at all and gave a lot of forward bite. Unless track conditions really suck and grip is really low, I wouldn't run em.

All in all... The 2.2 just plain works better at my home track.
Need to glue up 2 sets of 2.4's with dirt tech inserts. Any updates on results regarding cutting/punching dirt tech inserts?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Have a couple of questions for you guys:
1. You guys seemed to back off on your support of the Shortcourse classes and haven't come out with any new bodies in quite some time (scale bodies don't count in my book since those are geared towards bashers and nobody uses them to race with). Are you planning on any new bodies? That Ford Atlas body would be super cool if it were made into an SC body, love that front end! I'd think you guys would want to support SC since they go through bodies and tires fairly quickly compared to buggies. Last I checked, you guys are in the Body and tire business, so I'd think you'd want to support the class since it's a money maker. It's simple business 101 right there lol I'm hoping with JC's close relationship with AE, that once the B5/B5m based SC's come out, hopefully you guys will come out with some new bodies as well and help reinvigorate the class

2. I ask this question periodically and it still hasn't happened, but I have my hopes...are you guys planning to finally give us Pre-cut bodies? I haven't run a JC body in years on my Shortcourse trucks simply because it's easier to mount my Pre-cut Proline bodies (and TLR Pre-cuts before I switched brands). I know I'm not alone in this, because I talk to people about it all the time at the track.
Unfortunately SCT is on a huge downswing while other race classes, scalers, etc are exploding. This means all time and resources are focused towards manufacturing product to meet demands. The distributors dictate a lot and I can assure you the manufactures have a good feel for what they should be producing.

As a racer, it's really easy to feel like whatever we're most interested in and see doing well locally is strong nationwide, but that's not always the case .

That being said; if the addition of new SCT kits helps revitalize the class nationwide, we will certainly produce new bodies.

Pre-cut SCT bodies are really nice and we would love to offer them, but unfortunately the class isn't strong enough currently for the huge cost involved.

Need to glue up 2 sets of 2.4's with dirt tech inserts. Any updates on results regarding cutting/punching dirt tech inserts?
I'm still just cutting the inner ribs off the inserts with good results .
Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I ran the cut rib dirt techs at cactus. I ran the same set of times most of the week. The foams help up pretty good. The track was super high bite at first, then dropped off the last couple days. I put a lot of packs through them and the insert really held up well. The cut ribs did seem to soften up the inserts a little, but also flattened the profile of the tire.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default replacing foams - best way to remove tire?

I have a near new set of Gold Barcodes that have the stock inserts. I want to change over to closed cell and need advice on removing the tire from the rim. I've read that using acetone can shrink clay compound tires and I don't want to cut the bead (I don't have a steady hand and am afraid of hacking the tire). I also don't have an old oven to heat the tire with - fumes?

Am I out of options???

Searched and found differing opinions. Hoping posting to this thread might get a response from a company rep.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

acetone is bad for clay tires. I would just cut the bead or buy new tires
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sneako
I have a near new set of Gold Barcodes that have the stock inserts. I want to change over to closed cell and need advice on removing the tire from the rim. I've read that using acetone can shrink clay compound tires and I don't want to cut the bead (I don't have a steady hand and am afraid of hacking the tire). I also don't have an old oven to heat the tire with - fumes?

Am I out of options???

Searched and found differing opinions. Hoping posting to this thread might get a response from a company rep.

Thanks!
Yes, acetone is really bad for gold/clay compound tires.

I've cut the bead several times and that really is the best option. Using a new blade is most important.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cutting is about the best.

However with clay tires I find baking them off was great. There's only a minor smell for a bit, not a big deal. It's best to then dremel off the old glue before remounting.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PW
Unfortunately SCT is on a huge downswing while other race classes, scalers, etc are exploding. This means all time and resources are focused towards manufacturing product to meet demands. The distributors dictate a lot and I can assure you the manufactures have a good feel for what they should be producing.

As a racer, it's really easy to feel like whatever we're most interested in and see doing well locally is strong nationwide, but that's not always the case .

That being said; if the addition of new SCT kits helps revitalize the class nationwide, we will certainly produce new bodies.

Pre-cut SCT bodies are really nice and we would love to offer them, but unfortunately the class isn't strong enough currently for the huge cost involved.
Paul, thank you for your candid response. I really hope to see SC grow again. Personally, I love the SC classes and as the drivers have matured and gotten better, it's become cleaner than it was years ago.
Originally Posted by sneako

Am I out of options???

Thanks!
I have boiled them for long periods of time and usually the tire literally peels right off the wheel. But you'll have to boil them for quite a long time. Also, be careful and handle with care when pulling them off the stove as they're quite hot, you don't want to burn your fingers. I use a big deep pot like you use to boil spaghetti in.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 12mm front hex

Does anyone know if the xb4 12mm front hex fits on the tamiya trf503
Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what tires would u recommend for a loose med bite hard packed indoor clay track? im running a 1/10 2wd buggy looking for more foward bite

Last edited by DIRT DIGGER; 03-21-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER
what tires would u recommend for a loose med bite hard packed indoor clay track? im running a 1/10 4wd buggy looking for more foward bite
Dirtweb in gold with open cell (stock) insert. Barcode V1's are also good, may not be as good in the 1st runs.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Dirt Web Stadium Truck Tires and Inserts

Just received golds and they came with blue inserts rather than dirt techs. Is that what they come with or did I receive an old configuration? Thanks
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Dirt Webs for the SC & ST come with the blue foams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.