Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Foams, Lifspan? >

Foams, Lifspan?

Foams, Lifspan?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
thanks guys, now whats better rubber slicks or foams? i live next to a old factory with a smooth parking lot temps in the summer reach over 90's , id be useing them to bash around and for practice on a track? ive ordered some slick's for my r40 for my personal use and use the foams that came iwth the car for racing(probly a crappy shore- there stock factory foams)
For bashing you may do ok using the Jaco 2stage tires. They're supposedly longer lasting because they have 2 layers of differing shore ratings. I've had good luck with both the grip and the wear (good grip for running for fun, and long wear).
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

well thanks for all you rhelp guys, learned allot in this thread..
Doesnt look that way to me. If your serious this is how it is

A weekend of racing will be Saturday practice (about 5-10 tanks) with Sunday racing (4 x 5 min qualies plus a 15-30 min final).

To get the best out of tyres they need to be smaller than using them from the box. They start at 65mm and run down to 57mm before you junk them. I true them down to 60mm front and 62mm back of qualifying. That leaves 3mm for racing.

For the saturday you will need 3 full sets. For the sunday you will need 2 sets for qualies and i set for the final.

So thats 6 full sets for the weekend!! I can make do with 5

Jaco 2 stage tyres wear like crazy and I found last shorter than normal tyres. If you want longer life use harder bigger tyres. If you want faster speed and better laptimes use softer smaller tyres

This year I plan to run 10 full weekends of racing so thats 100 Pairs. At £7.50 thats £750.00.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well thanks for all you rhelp guys, learned allot in this thread... what tire truer would you recomend???

Mike
Try the OFNA manual tire truer it is only $59.95 + tire arbor $24.95, very good value for the money. and if you want an Automatic one OFNA also makes one for $250.00, Hudy Fully automatic is around $500.00.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're just bashing, don't get foams. Not worth the money. They do wear out fairly quickly. Although you can true them to get a longer life from them, then you need to get access to a truer.