Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting started in electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting started in electric

I've been wanting to get started in racing 1/10 electric on road, but I need some more info. I've been driving gas since I started, and I know only a little bit of electric, so I've got some questions:

I want to do racing seriously, what kit do you guys reccomend? I've been looking at the TC5 Factory Team and Pro 4 Hara Edition. Did they discontinue the regular Pro 4?

Chargers. I'm in the dark here. Whats a good brand/model for NiMh? Speaking of batteries, what are some good brands/models? LiPo isn't allowed at the local track.

I'm not extremely knowledgable on on road racing in general. Is there a place I can read up? Also, some tips on setting up for carpet would be great as well.

Any info you guys have that you think would be helpful, post it please. thanks for looking!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

maybe the xray t2 / t2-007 or a tamiya msx

for chargers i use a gfx and a cell master

the gfx is an awesome charger but has a large pricetag

it has the ability to chart the battery's performance while charging and can discharge at 30/35
amps worth looking into

as for batterys I use smc gp3300s because if i forget to take them off the equaliser tray they dont vent (ka-boom) like ib's do

as for setups you would have to get the car and ask around and do a little bit of searching
but yeah

thanks for reading

matt
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vismund Cygnus
I want to do racing seriously, what kit do you guys reccomend? I've been looking at the TC5 Factory Team and Pro 4 Hara Edition. Did they discontinue the regular Pro 4?
TC5 isn't out yet, but the T2R, T2 '007, and RDX are probably the most popular choices for reasons of quality, support, and ability.

Chargers. I'm in the dark here. Whats a good brand/model for NiMh? Speaking of batteries, what are some good brands/models? LiPo isn't allowed at the local track.
DuraTrax ICE, HANDS DOWN. For ~$120, you get a GREAT NiMH/LiPo charger with all the functionality in the world and it's extremely easy to use. I've been using the ICE for two years and I don't have a single complaint.

As for batteries, the gold standard company is Promatch, and the EP4200 are the hot ticket at the moment.

I'm not extremely knowledgable on on road racing in general. Is there a place I can read up? Also, some tips on setting up for carpet would be great as well.
There are TONS of good online resources (this site being one of the best)... but one of the nice things about buying an Xray is the documentation that comes with the car. You get an incredible setup booklet that explains every little tweak you can make.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

personally the Xray quality draws you in and with them releasing a new car lets say every 6 months you get the idea that you car is old hat and you want there latest car but without a doubt there cars are damm good to drive and build but iam just a tamiya fan so i would send you towards the MSX or the 415

or off tamiya line Hot bodies cyclone or a Losi
Old 03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

HB cyclone--- $200.00 from stormerhobbies
Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the replies! Forgot about Xray, I'll have to look into them. I have heard about the the whole Xray updating every 6 months thing, but that doesn't bother me much. I eman its not like a car from 6 months ago will be a piece of crap when the next model comes out. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The deal on the $200 Cyclone from Stormer Hobbies is hard to beat, and it's an outstanding car. You may need to add some extras to it depending on what style of on-road racing you're doing, but the car is proven, the parts are generally easy to find, and the price is outstanding.

All cars are good these days. It's important to get one that you can easily find parts for locally. The TC5 will probably have the best overall parts support in the US eventually, but it may take a while.

By the way, that Cyclone from Hot Bodies is essentially the successor to the Pro 4.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The deal on the $200 Cyclone from Stormer Hobbies is hard to beat, and it's an outstanding car. You may need to add some extras to it depending on what style of on-road racing you're doing, but the car is proven, the parts are generally easy to find, and the price is outstanding.

All cars are good these days. It's important to get one that you can easily find parts for locally. The TC5 will probably have the best overall parts support in the US eventually, but it may take a while.

By the way, that Cyclone from Hot Bodies is essentially the successor to the Pro 4.
How long will the $200 deal be around? Don't have all the money quite yet.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you may also want to wait for a few more weeks for the Mi3 much more has also just released thier "silent charger"...

might as well get a brushed/brushless esc (LRP and Novak)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by alecladanga
you may also want to wait for a few more weeks for the Mi3 much more has also just released thier "silent charger"...

might as well get a brushed/brushless esc (LRP and Novak)
Oh it won't be for another 3 months or so till I have all the cash.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I suggest the Cyclone from Stormer only $200, a GTX, and a stock motor of your choice. I guess you will be racing at Horsham and I know a guy that can help you out, he works and races a Corally and 12L4. His name is Tom, he will help you and let you use anything you need. And if he doesn't then tell him Antrell will deal with him later..
Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annie_himself
I suggest the Cyclone from Stormer only $200, a GTX, and a stock motor of your choice. I guess you will be racing at Horsham and I know a guy that can help you out, he works and races a Corally and 12L4. His name is Tom, he will help you and let you use anything you need. And if he doesn't then tell him Antrell will deal with him later..

"Horsham", man Ive been there once and it's an awesome track, also the owner is a very nice guy and his partner too. Just forgot their names.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by annie_himself
Yeah, I'll be racing at Horsham. I'm hoping on driving up there soon to check it out. Any reccomendation for a radio?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

for an awesome raido with no interfearence and NO channel changing

go with the spektrum lineup of either the dx3, dx2, dx3.0, dx2.0

www.spektrumrc.com
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by masta-racah
for an awesome raido with no interfearence and NO channel changing

go with the spektrum lineup of either the dx3, dx2, dx3.0, dx2.0

www.spektrumrc.com
Ouch, thats pretty pricey. How much do you guys think I'll run up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.