Wiki Posts
Search

IDM Products?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I got my EVO4 sedan engine today. Thanks brother Gerry.

I am worried I am your brother and you do not know how to spell my name. With a J.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xspower
I am worried I am your brother and you do not know how to spell my name. With a J.
I don't think you know how to spell it
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I don't think you know how to spell it

LOL you are the oldest!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Jerry I'm glad you receive the evo 4, to bad the Florida state serie is over but the national is down the road to open the door's to the world next year so this sould be the winning motor. There sould be a box with my name on it I hope.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

XSPOWER,

Are you guys going to be bring the 2651 pipe soon to the US market? and how it compares to the 2607/2617

Also, What are the difference between the 2607 and 2617 /what are the pro's/cons for each pipe

I'm getting ready to order the EVO4 and I never run Piccos before, so I need help on getting the best match pipe. I'll be racing at a big track

Last edited by RC-ProSpeed; 04-13-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed
XSPOWER,

Are you guys going to be bring the 2651 pipe soon to the US market? and how it compares to the 2607/2617

Also, What are the difference between the 2607 and 2617 /what are the pro's/cons for each pipe

I'm getting ready to order the EVO4 and I never run Piccos before, so I need help on getting the best match pipe. I'll be racing at a big track

Yes we will be bringing in the other EFRA pipesets when IDM gets them together, The 2607 or the 2617 would work just fine. The 2617 will have a bit more top end to it. And also it will have a sharper power band. Meaning quicker to the top not as linear as the 2607. The 2607 is a good all around pipe that works well most everywhere you go. The 2617 is a hard hitting so to speak pipe. Real aggressive in the delivery of the power. For a large track I would almost say to run the 2617 hands down so the engine has a bit more pull through the power band. But if you want a more drawn out power band with a little and I do mean small amount of the loss for the top end then use the 2607. I hope this helps out.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Thanks!

Thanks Jerry for the super fast turn around on my engines!!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Thanks Jerry for the super fast turn around on my engines!!

No problem.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Picco .21 P9 evo3

Is this engine the same as the IDM Evo3 minus the Mods done? Just wondering if it's otherwise the same engine
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default First Race

Broke in my first IDM engine and ready to give it a run tomorrow in the first race of the season. .21 evo3 in a Mugen MRX-4X The run in went really well, this engine feels good, hopefully it shows on the track.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default EVO 4 first impression

I got to run/race my EVO 4 this weekend. I only have one of these so everything I say about is based on this one engine.

I am somewhat impatient and this time that impatience won out. My engine break in consisted of 3 tanks idling on the starter box and then I went to the track to race tune. But before I get to that, I want to say a few other things. I have a reasonable amount of experience with the EVO 3 engines. I am not a big fan of the carb that comes with the EVO3 for a few reasons. I don't think the carb moves smoothly so I have had issues with the carb closing completely. I also have had issues with fuel leaks from the high speed needle and have had issues with the carb working its way loose from the engine case. I solved the problems with the carb coming loose but the other problems had lingered with the EVO 3. I know that the EVO 4 carb is not the same so I decided to give it a try (I had given up on the EVO 3 carb even though there are many people that never have any problems with it).
I installed the carb into the case and then loosened the high speed needle so I could position the inlet how I wanted it. I got a 7mm box end wrench and cranked down on the fitting. While the carb slide is better, it isn't as smooth as some others. The good news is that I was able to get the carb to close consistantly and there was no fuel leaking. Overall the new carb is much better. Now I will get to the engine.

As I said, I idled three tanks on the box and then took it to the track to tune it. This engine seems to be a bit tighter fit than the EVO 3 although still not like a novarossi. The engine made good power once race tuned, but ran a bit hotter than I like (about 285F). I really don't tune by temps, but I do use a temp gun to monitor what the engine is doing. While I didn't really like that temp, the engine was stable and it was still tight so I hoped to see that temp come down some as it got more time on it. FYI, the air temp was about 90F that day (Friday).

Saturday came around and we had three rounds of quals to run. I decided to run a different engine in each round and compare. I planned to run the EVO 4 in the final round. I would run my Sirio XXX in round 1, the IDM EVO 3 in rd 2. That plan got messed up right from the beginning as I broke my car in the warmup of the first round and decided to leave in Siro and not qualify the EVO 4. After quals I was 4th and we had some open track time so I decided to put the EVO 4 in and try and get some more fuel through the engine. I was hoping to run the new engine in the main but I was concerned that it would really start to break in during the 60 min main and would go rich on me as it loosened up. Anyway, I ran a half dozen more tanks of fuel and the temps were down to about 255F with really good performance (air temp was also lower... about 75F) I decided to do a timed run since I didn't get to qualify the engine and it made just over 5 1/2mins so I was happy there. I ran a bit more and was now seriously considering running the main with the engine. Sunday morning I made the decision to leave it in for the main. I went out and ran some more tanks as well as doing my final tire testing. Then engine was really strong and the temps were down to about 235-240F) It was very fast and crisp. As long as it didn't go rich during the main I felt pretty good about the engine.

Results in the main were somewhat disappointing. Sometime around the 8 min mark I was running in 2nd place and ended up on my lid. By the time the marshall got the car it had stalled. My pit man had inadvertantly turned the power switch off on my starter box and by the time he figured that out a few mins had expired. Anyway once the starter box turned, the engine refired faily easily and I was off again. About 10 mins after that my header spring broke so the pipe came off. I came to the pits and replaced the spring. I went back out again only to run about another 10 mins and lost the rear belt. (yes, it was a new belt that morning!!) That is the first time I have stripped a rear belt and I wasn't too amused. I decided not to fix it and I parked the car.

I wanted to note a few other things. This is not an EVO 3 with a new cylinder head. The crank, rod, case, head, and piston (didn't look at the sleeve) are different. The other thing is that I did find the engine a bit hard to start. It didn't draw fuel really easily. I did richen the bottom end a few hours which helped a little but I didn't want to hurt the idle so I just dealt with it as it wasn't THAT hard to start.

This engine is good. If you are considering this engine, just get one. It has a good power band all the way through and still gets the great fuel mileage we are used to with a picco engine.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Thats IDM version, right?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by musti72
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Thats IDM version, right?
Yes, IDM Evo 4
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

I think I will try one of those motors if I sell one of my Novarossi's, especially if they solved the carb problems Where can I find the new 2651 pipe?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by musti72
I think I will try one of those motors if I sell one of my Novarossi's, especially if they solved the carb problems Where can I find the new 2651 pipe?
xspower (IDM importer) does not have that pipe yet. I ran mine with the 2607

Winners Circle appears to have the engines in stock at an excellent price right now.

http://www.winnerscirclerc.com/index...2e90f5f5e919a8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.