Wiki Posts
Search

Re truing tires = no traction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Re truing tires = no traction?

I've had an odd problem the last 2 weekends. My car was setup great, started with new tires, after the last qualifier I retrued my tires and had to replace a front, they were Parma cy/mag last week I was using grp cy/mag with the same results, after I cut them down I lost a lot of rear traction, mostly off throttle it would loop. I left the suspension the same, I re-did ride height and droop to make up for the slightly smaller tires (took off .5mm). The only thing I notice is the magenta "look" a little different after being re trued after the sauce is applied. Is there anything I should be doing before re-truing that maybe I am not doing?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would say make sure they are dry (no traction compound on them).
I true mine forward and back, then I reverse the truer rotation and true them forward and back. They scrub in faster when they hit the carpet. I use 2 sets of fronts to one set of rears and swap the rears every round. The fronts I run each set 2 rounds swapping each round. I found by doing this the tires stay pretty much the same size and you wont have to true as much to keep the mm's the same.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

why would you cut your tires again , unless they are wearing out uneven , ck your camber , when you recut tires even if you take 0.5mm of the tire , you got to break them in again and that would take a few laps ............ good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by turboxrayt1fk05
why would you cut your tires again , unless they are wearing out uneven , ck your camber , when you recut tires even if you take 0.5mm of the tire , you got to break them in again and that would take a few laps ............ good luck
I wanted to even up the entire set since I had to replace one front, I wanted them all the same and straight I did not check them, but they weren't visually coned.

I did do about 5-6 laps before the main and I noticed the looping, so I softened the rear before the main trying to correct it, but it was still a problem. I didn't clean out the tires with motor spray, but they were dry.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

when you recut the tire , did you smooth it out a cross the top with sandpaper or something like that helps for me when i cut my tires
Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I am constantly retruing my tires to even them up and also it frees up my car.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would do what turbo said and make sure the tire is smooth using a file or sand paper. Also if the tires were uneven and you made them even the tweak could have changed causing the car to spin out one way. If it was both ways the file is probably the answer.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what is your camber at in the rear, also what kind of "bit" is on your tire truer?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Yes I use a sanding disc to round the edge and I swipe it across the entire face. It's an older Hudy with a carbide bit. Camber is 1.75 all around, I double checked it before the main and it was still set correctly, I was running that all day.