Search

5 cell in 27t/19t

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Since we (UK) have 95% organised Club racing ,so Rules are rife over here

li-po will take a age to get in
540 silver !!! they won`t go for that ,loads of guys have money tied up in 27t motors /lathes /brush etc
so that`s out
Whats the price of a 540 these days though?

We should be doing whatever we can to make the stock class more appealing in terms of price and availability. Adding to the fact there will be little advantage running a 540 with super soft, 1 run tyres.

i'll step out the ring... Just my thoughts on the suggested idea.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by tc3team
Whats the price of a 540 these days though?

We should be doing whatever we can to make the stock class more appealing in terms of price and availability. Adding to the fact there will be little advantage running a 540 with super soft, 1 run tyres.

i'll step out the ring... Just my thoughts on the suggested idea.
price
cheap as chips ,even free with tamiya Kit`s

but speed difference is amazing on these motors from one to another
also a A4 page of speed secrets for these Buggers i know of 4-5 tricks to get them to sing

speed is also the attractiveness for these 1/10th cars

if you drop to 5 cell ,you still have speed ,but not the high wear rate & heat problems that come with 6 cell

but think it will become apparent how good 5 cell is when the very first round of mod nats comes up ,see how the batts fair

think the current drain might have a affect on 5 cells more then 6 ,since you allowed to use any wind motor ie;;7x1 6x1
wait & see
Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

price
cheap as chips ,even free with tamiya Kit`s

but speed difference is amazing on these motors from one to another
also a A4 page of speed secrets for these Buggers i know of 4-5 tricks to get them to sing

speed is also the attractiveness for these 1/10th cars

if you drop to 5 cell ,you still have speed ,but not the high wear rate & heat problems that come with 6 cell

but think it will become apparent how good 5 cell is when the very first round of mod nats comes up ,see how the batts fair

think the current drain might have a affect on 5 cells more then 6 ,since you allowed to use any wind motor ie;;7x1 6x1
wait & see
That was one of my points (said in non sarcastic voice), they are cheap as chips.

As for tuning, its "probably" harder and therefore not so tempting for the pro's to tune these things.

Also, if you allow the motor not to be opened and tinkered with too, that shoud seal the deal and make it less attractive to them.

Its just a thought and maybe it has flaws to it (like you mention, people with lathes etc not wanting to sell up their stuff) but surely thats a good thing as it encorages more new challengers into that league, not the same old faces.

It should be for the up and coming drivers to have a bash- we NEED new blood in this hobby and we should encourage *as much as we can* low(er) cost racing
Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Champion

As for the speed issue, no I dont agree- not EVERY level of racing thrives on it,

Then I will hear people say...

"there will always be people trying to make their cars faster"...

yes, I totally agree there, but we are trying to cap this, right? and make a suitable "base level" for the up and coming hopefuls to work with?

My only thought is what racers will this attract? will it still attract the sandbaggers?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

OK, i have read all the posts from both sides the fence. I can see pro's and cons each way.
For me, I think the 5 cell option for 27/19t is the way to go.

I'm with you Colin.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

and things go wrong (which they do) replacing the 27t or F1 speedy would be damn site cheaper than the brushless bit (that's one problem we have rain) that's another
True, brushless motor replacements are more expensive. But it doesn't happen as often.

By the way, Mamba systems claim they can run in wet. In fact, there is a video of a 1/18th system running under water...motor and ESC.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Why is it that so many people say "it's cheaper in the long run" but complain about the price of things they buy? It might be cheaper in the long run if you're already dedicated to the sport, but new drivers are not going to spend $$$ up-front just to race at a Club, when they have no idea if they are in it for the long run.

Why do so many people assume that the drivers currently in it all want things to be 'easier'? I for one like sub-C and brushed motors, and don't necessarily want to run LiPo and brushless. Are you just going to push me out, or limit me to 540s? Shame on you.

Someone suggested that the motor rules for Mod be changed to be "anything that fits into a space 53mm long and 36mm diameter" (I'd add with a mounting screw pitch of 25mm, to make sure they all fit the cars!) and I think that would be great. There is so much choice, and it would open up the market to the smaller motor builders, until something comes out as good enough to be adopted as a standard.
I've brought several people to the track as guests (and do every week) who wanted to know what it's all about so they might get started themselves and all I heard was that they'd buy brushless and pay more for the system because brushed motors look intimidating and they would rather spend the $$$ upfront then have to spend it weekly or a monthly in performing motor maintenance. That and when they saw the prices of lathes and all the other garbage you need to take care of a brushed motor...they said there was NO question, they'd go brushless.

Most racers, like myself, have a job and family. We don't have the time to do all the required crap that goes along with motor and battery maintenance. Sorry, when it comes down to teaching my daughter her ABC's or truing a comm...my daughter gets the time. Should I be punished at the track or not race at all because I have other obligations that require my time rather then sitting at my bench playing with motors and batteries all week??? No, I and the majority want easier. You don't have to follow. You can use SubC and brushed motors if you want...but that very soon will be old tech that nobody uses anymore.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

When you have a brushless Li-Po combo you work on things that make your ride faster ...

unstead of having to rebuild the motor over & over while waiting for little lites to stop blinking discharging battery`s...

*I redo my shock`s unstead ...
*Rebuild my diff to be smooth and perfect...
*I mount up new tires with the money saved, cause I did not have to purchase another set of XXX brush`s again...

Even replace those worn out ball cups that you never would of if you are busy grinding a com down again....

Love to make my ride faster this way , unstead of keeping my motor and battery`s in good condition...

Who`s having more fun ?

The guy grinding a com, or the guy with fresh shock oil .....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Yeah , but you have to buy new NK-Ml every 60 cycles...
No you don't.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess I'm way out of the loop because all I ever do is rebuild my motor after about 15-20 runs (and yes it is fast enough to be top qualifier).

Rebuild my diffs once or twice a season, rebuild my shocks once a year, practice once or twice a week, new tires before I go to a non-club race, etc.

Everyone is making it sound like you have to rebuild everything all the time which (IMO) isn't the case.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

When you have a brushless Li-Po combo you work on things that make your ride faster ...

unstead of having to rebuild the motor over & over while waiting for little lites to stop blinking discharging battery`s...

*I mount up new tires with the money saved, cause I did not have to purchase another set of XXX brush`s again...

Even replace those worn out ball cups that you never would of if you are busy grinding a com down again....

Love to make my ride faster this way , unstead of keeping my motor and battery`s in good condition...

Who`s having more fun ?

Geez I change shock oil about once every 6 months ! You must have an X-Ray
Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
No you don't.
If they go 5 cell you will have to rebuy Nk-Ml cells even sooner....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

If they go 5 cell you will have to rebuy Nk-Ml cells even sooner....
This is only true in Mod. In 19T and 27T even with 5-cells you won't have a high amp draw so no problems there.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Who`s having more fun ?

geez your car must be falling to bits
try building properly the first time round

sorry couln't resist
i hear what your saying though ,but rebuilding cars trackside is not fun thats worse then rebuilding motors
Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
This is only true in Mod. In 19T and 27T even with 5-cells you won't have a high amp draw so no problems there.
not sure yet are we ,this be the first year in 5 cell & no one has done 5 cell 27t & 19t

like Skiv has said
if 27t/19t go 5 cell would we gear higher to go faster & have heat & wear issue again ????....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.