Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
"TEXAS BIGGIE" 2007- 30 Years! >

"TEXAS BIGGIE" 2007- 30 Years!

"TEXAS BIGGIE" 2007- 30 Years!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HBO is looking for you

How did I get sucked in to this deal ? I hear HBO is looking for new comedians, you should give them a call
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default I have some more stuff

My foot has been swollen up for a couple of days so no editing But I'm back online today so I plan on getting out at least one more vid from the race. I get too wound up when I go video and have to put out one vid before I finally go to bed. I gotta quit doing that as it always messes me up. Usually its only a day but this time it stretched to 2. At least next time I come up to Rendon I can bring my chair. Wish I'd have known about the paved walk all around the track. But then again all that rain would have probably messed up the electrics even though I have a cover it gets in through the bottom of the lift. Part of the Glidecam set-up came in yesterday. I'll be glad when the other part gets here. Can't wait to try that puppy out. For those of you that don't know about camera stabilization a glidecam is basically a wearable tripod. Makes the image much sharper just like a tripod makes still pics sharper. The cam rests on a rod that has counterweights on the bottom and you balance the whole thing. It rides on a gyro gimbal that is attached to the handle or body pod. So its free of transferred shocks and hand shake. And since its balanced and mounted on a gimbal any pan or movement is super smooth. The body pod part is a harness you wear that has a place to attach the handle to take the weight off your wrist and arm so you can video all damn day without getting tired. I don't know if any of you have seen some of the IFMAR videos from their big races but that is what I'm shooting for. That kind of quality. They use 2 to 3 cameras in addition to the handheld for low angle shots. It can be done with one camera but its a lot easier and better to use multiple cams. Your aux cams just run and that lets you scan the track for passes wrecks etc. Whats really cool about it is that after you get one filmed if you know you did a good job you feel just like you drove a good race. A little more disorientated for sure. Especially if you use the viewfinder instead of the LCD. This year is a learning year but next year they will be as close to perfect as I can get them. I highly recommend it to anyone that finds themselves unable to race for whatever reason. I've been going to races and hanging around racers for so long it would be traumatic to quit going. There is still the element of competition except you are going for hits instead of laps

Griz
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Back at the office after a few days in Texas. I have never had so much rain at an event like this time. Incredible!!!
Then you wouldn't be suprised that we just set a record for the most consecutive days of precipitation for the month of May! Crazy, almost two years of drought, lakes low, cities rationing water and boom the problem fixes itself in one month.

Thanks for coming.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by griz11
My foot has been swollen up for a couple of days so no editing But I'm back online today so I plan on getting out at least one more vid from the race. I get too wound up when I go video and have to put out one vid before I finally go to bed. I gotta quit doing that as it always messes me up. Usually its only a day but this time it stretched to 2. At least next time I come up to Rendon I can bring my chair. Wish I'd have known about the paved walk all around the track. But then again all that rain would have probably messed up the electrics even though I have a cover it gets in through the bottom of the lift. Part of the Glidecam set-up came in yesterday. I'll be glad when the other part gets here. Can't wait to try that puppy out. For those of you that don't know about camera stabilization a glidecam is basically a wearable tripod. Makes the image much sharper just like a tripod makes still pics sharper. The cam rests on a rod that has counterweights on the bottom and you balance the whole thing. It rides on a gyro gimbal that is attached to the handle or body pod. So its free of transferred shocks and hand shake. And since its balanced and mounted on a gimbal any pan or movement is super smooth. The body pod part is a harness you wear that has a place to attach the handle to take the weight off your wrist and arm so you can video all damn day without getting tired. I don't know if any of you have seen some of the IFMAR videos from their big races but that is what I'm shooting for. That kind of quality. They use 2 to 3 cameras in addition to the handheld for low angle shots. It can be done with one camera but its a lot easier and better to use multiple cams. Your aux cams just run and that lets you scan the track for passes wrecks etc. Whats really cool about it is that after you get one filmed if you know you did a good job you feel just like you drove a good race. A little more disorientated for sure. Especially if you use the viewfinder instead of the LCD. This year is a learning year but next year they will be as close to perfect as I can get them. I highly recommend it to anyone that finds themselves unable to race for whatever reason. I've been going to races and hanging around racers for so long it would be traumatic to quit going. There is still the element of competition except you are going for hits instead of laps

Griz
Interesting to read your story above Griz, great work. I'm an RC video nut too and if you go to 3hobby.net you'll see some of my work. I don't aim to be at Ray Wood's level because like you said, these editing not only takes a lot of time but also some nice equipment and software which I don't have. All my videos are amaturish

Well, for me, its for fellow racers to see what they missed and also for newbies to see what is possible. I'm trying to promote the hobby/sport in my own little way with these videos of course.

I totally agree with you that you need more than one cam to have a good production. I race at the same time so usually I can't record the main I'm in but sometimes some racers bring their own video cam and then lend their tapes for me to edit. There's a couple of videos on my site where we have a few guys contribute (see the 2006 Euros Final one at Heemstede for example).

How much does one of those glide thingy costs? Sounds like a real cool thing to have!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Already been there :)

I've been on that site a few times. As I recall it was for replays of vrc races. I'll check into those vids. Yea I just do it to promote the sport as well. I started with just putting a camera on a tripod and getting an overall view of things. Then one evening my car broke early and I picked up the camera and tried to follow the cars. It was so much fun now thats all I do. The glidecam will set you back some significant dough. 265 for the 200pro and another 165 for the body pod. However there is a CHEAP alternative that works fairly well. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/ That you can build for 20 bucks or so. I have one now and it works reasonably well. The reason I went for the glidecam is with the body pod its possible to use it sitting in the wheelchair which is where I'll end up sooner or later. I'm supposed to be in it all the time now but I still try and walk a bit sometimes too much. I started doing this last October. The editing software takes some time to master and lots of time to actually edit videos. That part of it is getting a lot easier now allowing me to concentrate on technique and other things with the camera. By the way I was born in England at Wimpole Park. So I tend to cruise the brit R/C boards quite a bit. Especially since I got into nitro bikes. I lived in Reading and Swindon when I was there. Got my first exposure to racing at Aintree.

Griz
Old 06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here's some more great video work from griz11. He posted them in another forum, but here they are for your convenience.

Expert Sedan A-Main

Embedded

http://www.promofo-racing.org/Expert-Sedan-A-Main.html

Download

http://www.promofo-racing.org/video...10th-A-Main.wmv

Gallery

http://www.promofo-racing.org/Photo...lery/index.html