Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why has the hobby headed in this direction? >

Why has the hobby headed in this direction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why has the hobby headed in this direction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hey I race electric and nitro.
And I really take offence to that comment that we don't help. I help where I can. I've lent out whole cars so people can race. I help where I can when it comes to set-ups I tell people everything I find that works, which isn't much seeing as I'm still learning.
I have used AE and Losi. I like Losi because I'm not that great of a driver and I've had luck with not breaking my CR vs. my B4. I'm not saying that nobody that races electric isn't an A$$, trust me I know a few of them.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it is easier to get the attention of a new comer, when he can compare riding his dirt bike to racing nitro anything. also the misconception that nitro is faster than electric, and lack of knowledge from some high school kid at a national hobby chain selling something that he doesn't race or even own. well the new comers don't know any better or what ?'s to ask so they rely on the info. from said high school kid or the local airplane guy that knows even less about the r/c car part of it. add to that the coverage the last year from inside r/c has been all nitro or airplanes. the coverage is dropping as well in electric to the new comer. this years Cactus Classic will be web cast live but if you don't know where to look how is that gonna help.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

i also think the first track to start offering a rent a racer class will be the biggest help there ever could be. have four or five rtr's charge a 20 dollar rental plus race fee. they turn the car in after each run, staff go overs the car charges the batteries, and any major breakage is charged to the customer in parts cost. how many times you been at the races and see people come out watch and wish they could do it, but are unsure what to do or get and this would give them a taste into it. i think the sport as whole would grow better if there were offered by any or all the tracks.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Great idea AZBobby! An individual could even do that if the track allowed it, the track would still make out in parts sales
Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brandonizr
Great idea AZBobby! An individual could even do that if the track allowed it, the track would still make out in parts sales
thanks i came up with that like four years ago. i tried every since then to get SRS to do something like, along with going to losi and team AE and maybe even get them to donate the kits as a marketing point for them and to ease the cost to the track, yet to do something that could grow the sport. maybe presenting it here will give some track owners or manufacturers to be able to put something together.
its like going to play pool or darts. the bar offers you free stuff to use but you can buy your own.
or like going to speedway carting and paying to race thier go-carts, or like going to a driving scholl you pay for it they supply it thoery.
why should it be any different in r/c?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

The easy to drive 1/8 scale buggy and truck classes have become more popular because r/c racing is taken less seriously these days. People cannot afford or have the time to practice racing during the week like when 2wd electric was popular in the late 80's and early 90's. 4wd and trucks with big tires can run over track barriers, can recover easier from poor racing lines, and can better handle rough tracks with minimal tuning ability. It takes less ability and skill (which come with time and practice) to have fun racing with 4wd trucks. America is really the only country that recognizes the truck classes anyway, which could also be an indication that racing isn't being taken as seriously since its not a global class. Now we are starting to see factory drivers racing in these popular classes, so there will be less races for the average joes to win. Once the classes get filled up with talented pro drivers, another new "popular" class will form.

of coarse, that only an opinion and I could be wrong.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

the pros are there due to the sales and the popularity of the class. so much so that losi and associated came in with cars. to make a car look creditable you need your best drivers racing them. only helps sales even more be hard core racers. plus as i said earlier it is getting better coverage right now, noise makes it better tv. can't really hear the electric cars running. the truck is not in the worlds events since it doesn't help to determine a world class driver. 2wh and 4wh take far more skill, basically it would be a waste of their time to race a truck class.
your right in the drivability of 1/8 anything for a new person or a less talented driver it is easy to be competitive. these are still things that are making it so big, not that electric is dropping there are just far more people buying 1/8. im still running both and alot. with the location of THE PIT in Az. right next to a motorcross track,dirt ovals,drag strip, and r/c airfield we are beginning to see bleed over of guys wanting to find out where to buy cars and trucks. equally with that we get alot people that stop buy the electric track and i have seen more new faces in the last three months than any other time. the Cactus Classic still sold out in a matter of days, it is dead by any stretch. also i don't think you can really compare the 80's and early 90's as being more popular with electric when 1/8 racing and top quaility cars did not exist.