Wiki Posts
Search

GRP Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default GRP Tires

Can someone send me some site that sell those sick GRP dish tires all those Mugen guys are running in the Winternats and World Championships or are they just for pros?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

GRP foams are distributed by Great Planes, any hobby shop should be able to get them for you, but I would recommend you not use them. If you want to use GRP foam go with GQ tires their rim is a bit stronger and their glue job is far better.

Mark
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtveten
GRP foams are distributed by Great Planes, any hobby shop should be able to get them for you, but I would recommend you not use them. If you want to use GRP foam go with GQ tires their rim is a bit stronger and their glue job is far better.

Mark
Thanks for the in Mark currently I use GQ tires and love them, but I just wanted to try the GRPs to make a comparison and well I noticed they were the most used tires in the Worlds.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

I don't know why but I am partial to Nitro Shoes over GRP. Don't know why, and I'm sure if someone switched me I wouldn't know the difference either.

How come everyone runs GRP?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I did not think GQ tires used GRP rubber. I used to use GQ tires it is a great tire with extremely good wear. I just get better on power traction with GRP's. I found if I wanted the same traction as the GRP 40 shore I had to run 37 shore in the GQ tire. I like to run the hardess shore possible. But don't get me wrong the GQ tires are extremely strong tire. I would love to run the Kawahara's but I got such a great deal on the Mugen fast tires and the GRP tires I just couldn't pass them up. Mugen fast @8.00 US pr (shipped) and the GRP's at 10.50 pr (shipped).
One other thing I noticed is The GQ's performed better on Prep track but did not do so well on parking lot tracks.
Just my observation.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I did not think GQ tires used GRP rubber. I used to use GQ tires it is a great tire with extremely good wear. I just get better on power traction with GRP's. I found if I wanted the same traction as the GRP 40 shore I had to run 37 shore in the GQ tire. I like to run the hardess shore possible. But don't get me wrong the GQ tires are extremely strong tire. I would love to run the Kawahara's but I got such a great deal on the Mugen fast tires and the GRP tires I just couldn't pass them up. Mugen fast @8.00 US pr (shipped) and the GRP's at 10.50 pr (shipped).
One other thing I noticed is The GQ's performed better on Prep track but did not do so well on parking lot tracks.
Just my observation.
Where did you get your tires?do they carry for 1/8 scale'
thanks'
Old 02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by serpentpro28
Where did you get your tires?do they carry for 1/8 scale'
thanks'
You have a PM regarding tires.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Where did you get those GRP tires at that price ? Looks like the world wants to know
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

It sounds like a hong kong price for GRP foams. I have run the GQ, GRP, Devils, Jaco and serpent Jaco foams and like the serpent Jacos' best. The GQ, GRP & Devils all use the same rubber but lil-bump is right about the GRPs having a different; Its probably due to their softer rim.

From my experience the GRP based tires have more side bite than Jacos but less forward traction. In lower grip conditions I prefer them to Jaco but once the grip reaches a low-med level my car favors the free feeling jacos.

Mark
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

Towerhobbies.com (USA) to answer your question.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Towerhobbies? Are you CRAZY!! I used to run GRP foam and it's a good tire, but they (Gandini Racing Products) really shot themselves in the foot when they took a 6 month hiatus from shipping to the US, and consolidated all their dealers to a single entity in Great Planes a.k.a TowerHobbies.

TowerHobbies GRP foam for a 1/8th car will set you back $70 bucks, $29.99 for a "pair" of fronts and $39.99 for a "pair" of rears. That's $70 bucks before you pay to have them shipped!

For that same price, you can almost have two complete sets of BSR tires, and likely one and half sets of any other manufacture. www.bsr-racing.com

I like GRP foam, but it's simply not worth the price Tower is asking for them, unless they come with a small bar of gold in each box!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I feel you on that Darint. What is Tower thinking; selling tires at those prices. I can't see them doing much tire business.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

I just picked up some KFactory tires. According to Sam Felish of Raceday Hobbies, they are GRP rubber on high-quality KFactory wheels. I will be trying them out tomorrow. Great price BTW.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I feel you on that Darint. What is Tower thinking; selling tires at those prices. I can't see them doing much tire business.
That rubber has probably been on the shelf a long time. I'll bet it is as old as I am
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I just picked up some KFactory tires. According to Sam Felish of Raceday Hobbies, they are GRP rubber on high-quality KFactory wheels. I will be trying them out tomorrow. Great price BTW.

Just checked these out and the price is great... please let us know how you like them or what you don't like about them. I would use these if the rim holds up, and they perform well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.