Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRP Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

RC-Mushroom is in Honk Kong and the motor is not in-stock. the shipping cost to the US alone, will bring the price up beyond 199.00 price
Old 02-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default All for Cheap Prices

I'm all for the lowest cost, it's expensive to play!

However, the general mark-up in big items (Kits, Engines & Electronics) is usually thin, the money is made at the parts disposable level (what racers need to keep racing).

"If" Tower is the cheapest for the kit (and you looked elsewhere) knock yourself out, but when it comes to buy your tires, spare parts etc, I'd just recommend the same search..

A lot of differing companies (smaller hobby shops) sell items at a discount. So, I'd recommend buying tires at store xxx, chassis spares at store yyy etc.

Just shop around, you'll be surprised at how low you can go (compared to Tower) on most items in my opinion, but if you do shop and Tower still has the best price, go for it!

I thought the guy said RC-Mushroom has "free shipping"? I've purchased overseas before for motors, and it was great a few years ago when the exchange rate (dollar to Mark or Yen) was favorable. Haven't looked recently
Old 02-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you get free shipping with the G4S and theres the wasp rev for $219 which will rip a TZ a new one
Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

What kills it for me is shipping cost. Sure I can order a set of tires for $10 per pair (front and rear) and then pay $15 to ship it. That's completely not worth it when I can walk into a local store get the same tires the same day for $14.99 a pair (comes out slightly cheaper anyway). Now, if I could order say 4 pair at $9.50 each and only pay $5 or so flat rate shipping it may be worth it since there is no tax involved.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dredd
What kills it for me is shipping cost. Sure I can order a set of tires for $10 per pair (front and rear) and then pay $15 to ship it. That's completely not worth it when I can walk into a local store get the same tires the same day for $14.99 a pair (comes out slightly cheaper anyway). Now, if I could order say 4 pair at $9.50 each and only pay $5 or so flat rate shipping it may be worth it since there is no tax involved.
I never ordered over seas because Im not as patient as some, and I know if the shipping option is free its probably the slowist option.

If I was to purchase tires I always buy at least 4 pairs and it usually is cheaper than my local LHS. Even if I buy bodies I buy two or more.

Right now I am running indoor electric and I have seen major savings on my motor/charger/cells at Tower.

Hey I never mentioned that I buy parts from Towerhobbies, at a matter fact Tower does not have parts to support none of the kits I own. I only make larger purchases from tower. But how you guys made it sound was that nothing (which is an absolute) was cheap there and I know that was not true. Every place has their uses and Towerhobbies is for larger purchases for me.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
so the tire had wobble in the rim. but was able to fix it and use it for the Final.
How are you fixing a wobbling rim?? Are you just bending it back in place??
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Ran the KFactory 40 shore tires this weekend on 3 different cars:

MTX-4 w/front diff, diff oils- 30K front, 10K rear and Protoform Lola body:
The tires worked really great. The car was totally hooked up. The grip was fantastic.

RRR WCE, KFactory spool, 30K rear diff and Protoform Mazda6:
Grip was good, but perhaps too much for my driving style. I had a slight case of understeer. When pushed hard, the back never came around on me.

RRR WCE w/front diff, diff oils 30K front, 20K rear and Protoform Mazda6:
Grip was good and no understeer. When pushed hard, the back never came around on me.

It could be that I'm just using too low a shore for my track and driving style. I normally run 40 shore NitroShoes and I like the level of grip that it has - a little less grip than the KFactory 40 shore, so I get a little more drift around the turns. I wonder if I'm scrubbing speed with the KFactory tires??

Tire wear was comparable to the NitroShoes.

What next? I'm definitely going to pick up some more 40s for the MTX-4. For the Kyosho, I think I'll try some 42s just for comparison. If they match the level of grip of the 40 shore NitroShoes, then I'm all set.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
How are you fixing a wobbling rim?? Are you just bending it back in place??
put on tire truerand yes bent back with hands. LOL but worked.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Ran the KFactory 40 shore tires this weekend on 3 different cars:

MTX-4 w/front diff, diff oils- 30K front, 10K rear and Protoform Lola body:
The tires worked really great. The car was totally hooked up. The grip was fantastic.

RRR WCE, KFactory spool, 30K rear diff and Protoform Mazda6:
Grip was good, but perhaps too much for my driving style. I had a slight case of understeer. When pushed hard, the back never came around on me.

RRR WCE w/front diff, diff oils 30K front, 20K rear and Protoform Mazda6:
Grip was good and no understeer. When pushed hard, the back never came around on me.

It could be that I'm just using too low a shore for my track and driving style. I normally run 40 shore NitroShoes and I like the level of grip that it has - a little less grip than the KFactory 40 shore, so I get a little more drift around the turns. I wonder if I'm scrubbing speed with the KFactory tires??

Tire wear was comparable to the NitroShoes.

What next? I'm definitely going to pick up some more 40s for the MTX-4. For the Kyosho, I think I'll try some 42s just for comparison. If they match the level of grip of the 40 shore NitroShoes, then I'm all set.
What do you think made a difference in the cars? The Mugen seeming (from your description) to perform better than the Kyosho with these? Body?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dredd
What do you think made a difference in the cars? The Mugen seeming (from your description) to perform better than the Kyosho with these? Body?
One thing to keep in mind, is that I run on a technical track (click here). This is not the layout I ran these tires on btw. It changes each time we setup the track.

The MTX-4 with Lola body has more steering than both Kyosho configurations with a Mazda6 body. When I ran the NitroShoes with the MTX-4, the MTX-4 had an oversteering problem on turn entry after heavy under braking. Not so with the KFactory tires. With the KFactory tires on the MTX-4, I feel like I can "grip it and rip it", which is different from my normal driving style.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my previous post.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

ok i see. i was curious cause the prices on these tires are good and i'm considering trying them.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

It's always best to try as many tires as you can, to see which ones give you the best performance given the types of surfaces you run on, traction conditions, driving style, tire wear and durability. What works for one person may not necessarily work for another. There are quite a number of fast guys at my track that use non-brand name tires, that are quite happy with what they are using.

I'll be trying Kawahara tires in about two weeks.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

well, I'm currently using what is easy to find and works.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

One thing to keep in mind, is that I run on a technical track (click here). This is not the layout I ran these tires on btw. It changes each time we setup the track.

The MTX-4 with Lola body has more steering than both Kyosho configurations with a Mazda6 body. When I ran the NitroShoes with the MTX-4, the MTX-4 had an oversteering problem on turn entry after heavy under braking. Not so with the KFactory tires. With the KFactory tires on the MTX-4, I feel like I can "grip it and rip it", which is different from my normal driving style.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my previous post.
What material do you use for the barriers to make up the track?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dr_catman
What material do you use for the barriers to make up the track?
RoadDome/RoadRails by HyperHobbies - http://www.roaddome.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.