Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended chargers??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommended chargers??

I'd like some recommendation from you guys on what charger I should buy. I don't know a whole lot about all the features they offer but I'll tell you what I "think" I want.

My truck is a new completely stock(for now) E Maxx. I'd like to be able to charge 2 or 3 batteries at once as well as discharge. I also would like digital display of battery condition and charge level.

Is there anything Im missing that I should have?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DragnFly
I'd like some recommendation from you guys on what charger I should buy. I don't know a whole lot about all the features they offer but I'll tell you what I "think" I want.

My truck is a new completely stock(for now) E Maxx. I'd like to be able to charge 2 or 3 batteries at once as well as discharge. I also would like digital display of battery condition and charge level.

Thanks for any help!!
Greatplanes TRITON has all u need...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I believe MRC Makes a charger that can do two batteries at once. You could also look into picking up two used chargers to do the job if you don't mind used. Reedy Quasar Pros can be picked up for a reasonable price and have alot of features you would like.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Perhaps you could tell us what kind of budget you have. Personaly I think a lipo setup may be your best choice in the long run. You would need a duratrax ice, a 16amp power suply, a voltage cut off or invest in something like a mamba brushless system w/ a cutoff alrdy built in. The 4600 system is very capable of powering an e-maxx. They are very torquey. You can get good deals on lipos at max amps.com All in all if you go all out you will spend around $500. For a 4k mah pack, an affordable charger, and a voltage cut off unit you can spend under $250.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run the Pitbull X3 charger and a Competition Electronics Bull Dog 30 amp power supply. They are a bit $$$ but well worth the cost.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

The "ICE" is "nice".
Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input! I plan to eventually go with a Mamba brushless/LiPo system but right now the truck will be stock. I'll upgrade when things break. But would like to do some racing at some point so I figure a good charger with all the whistles would be a good idea. About $130 or so is what I have in mind.

One thing I notice is that most of the better chargers are DC powered only. Why is that? Is that the way to go?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

well, first off. If you don't have matched batteries then a great charger and discharge system won't matter. The powersuplys can suply power w/out surges in current so it is safer for the batteries.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I always want best possible performance so I'll have to get some matched batteries. Im kinda new to this electric RC. Last truck was a nitro Revo and finally got sick of the nitro thing. Sounds like I need to read up on battery tech info!

What battery size would be best for top performance with the stock motors in the EMaxx? 6 or 7 cell? What Mah rating should I use?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry about the hijack guys,
I have the exact same question but I didn't want to flood with another post.

My son and I both have Elec Rustlers. We use a minimum of a 3000ma battery up to a 4200ma. I am looking for the best charger that can do two at once? I have heard a lot about auto peaking chargers drawing false peaks etc. So quality is my big thing. I want the thing to work, and work great and be user friendly. I will spend up to 200 bucks or so if you can recommend one? We will also eventually go brushless as we are tired of buying new motors every few weeks from them dying.

Thanks guys,
-=DA.

P.S. Nice place you have here!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for ~200.00 I would get 2 ice chargers. You can use your car battery to use as power supply if you don't want to invest in a power supply.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DragnFly

Thanks for any help!!
The mrc 977 is a nice affordable dual charger, digital and discharges on only one side. $99
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Have you got a link for that charger?
Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=1908