Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Broken Belts

What are the chances of snaping belts when running on unprepared surfaces. I'm in the market for a nitro car but I've heard that breaking belts on nitro cars can happen regularly. Is this true?
Old 11-17-2001, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

My experiences are that you damage the pulleys and diffs when you get rocks in them and usually damage the belt as well. I have never snapped a belt but I have stripped them and put holes through them. Also some people think that getting aluminium pulleys helps this it does not. Rocks get into the aluminium and get stuck just as easily, the pulleys just do not get "eaten up" buy rocks as much.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

running on unprepared surface will result 100% in stripping belts......... we have a guy at our club who runs his car in the adjoining carpark that has gravel scattered across it and he went 4 meets straight either stripping or breaking a belt in that carpark
Old 11-18-2001, 02:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by opel92
running on unprepared surface will result 100% in stripping belts......... we have a guy at our club who runs his car in the adjoining carpark that has gravel scattered across it and he went 4 meets straight either stripping or breaking a belt in that carpark
i.e. better to get the stomach car (TC3 nitro) it is perfect for unprepared track.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Manticore

i.e. better to get the stomach car (TC3 nitro) it is perfect for unprepared track.
very true..... no belt problems then.......
Old 11-18-2001, 06:45 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have only had belts wear. I went though a diff pully after eating a rock, but the rear belt was ok. The Front belt ( long one on the HPI cars ) i went though about 2 of those. and I'm still using the original side belt. Still havent damaged that one at all.

Generally i don't think belts are that big of a pain. If you keep the correct tension on them, i dont see why they won't last at least a season.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some cars are worse than others.
I love my Mugen but if it gets within 50 feet of a grain of sand the front belt falls off!! On the track Never.
And foam tires on an unprepped surface will pick up every speck of dirt they can find and throw them up onto the chassis which is mysteriously magnetically attracted to rocks.