Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
GET RC10T4RS or RC10GT2RS? >

GET RC10T4RS or RC10GT2RS?

GET RC10T4RS or RC10GT2RS?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Gas is noisier and messier. I actually think the loud noise is cool. The fuel makes everything a mess(especially in the dirt). I would say overall maintenance is about the same if you really break it down. Keep in mind that an engine can't be held wide open for long periods. I threw a rod right after break-in because I didn't know that. 2-3 seconds at top speed is about all you want to go at a time. I haven't tried any brushless stuff, but from what I'm reading I want to. Sounds like nitro power with the convenience of electric. Like I said though, I have no real experience with brushless.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the older one. FT-T4 and RTR GT. its like comparing apple and bananna

If you want to bash for like 3 hours non stop.. I would go GT, because u can just fill the tank and go. But be warmed, the engine and pipe is loud as hell(sorry i'm an electric dude). I don't think you can bash at nite without your neighbor complaining the following morning. electric is much much quieter....

Both car needs the same amount of time for after fun cares, if you don't mind whipping all the oil off from the truck and some WD40 spraying to prevent the chassis from rusting... RTR GT2 is for you!

Engine tuning you can ask the local shop to help you.

Both car in the long run will cost the same, just for electric the initial investment will be greater.

~Ming
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i'd still lean towards the gt2. but if you live by people that get tict at loud noises, go wtih the t4. both are good choices but if you want to bash longer, gt2.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by aoizip
I have the older one. FT-T4 and RTR GT. its like comparing apple and bananna

If you want to bash for like 3 hours non stop.. I would go GT, because u can just fill the tank and go. But be warmed, the engine and pipe is loud as hell(sorry i'm an electric dude). I don't think you can bash at nite without your neighbor complaining the following morning. electric is much much quieter....

Both car needs the same amount of time for after fun cares, if you don't mind whipping all the oil off from the truck and some WD40 spraying to prevent the chassis from rusting... RTR GT2 is for you!

Engine tuning you can ask the local shop to help you.

Both car in the long run will cost the same, just for electric the initial investment will be greater.

~Ming
What do you mean whipping all the oil from the truck? Where does that oil stick, the whole truck or just the body(the cover)?
Also, the GT2 doesnt have a reverse. Is it really a minor thing? I've never driven a remote without reverse so I need an advice on this one.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

How about if I buy a T4 kit and put a brushless system on it (possibly novak or mamba), what would be better, a GT2RS or a T4 kit with brushless. I know they're not on the same class but I would really like to hear from you guys about this topic. Any opinion is fine. This will be my first "BIG BOY RC" and I dont want to regret choosing the wrong one for me.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The exhaust will have fuel coming out of it, which pretty much gets everywhere lol.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have both gas and electric. If this is your first I would definitely go electric. I would save your money for aftermarket stuff instead of getting a brushless system right off. That money could buy a lot of different batteries and motors...etc. It will be a lot more rewarding to spend it on stuff like that. You can get good electric motors for like $30, but you can't exactly get a lot of different gas engines...unless your rich of course. If that's the case just get both!!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Its true you can get lots of different electric motors for fairly decent prices, but, you still need to maintain them, and unless you know someone with a lathe, just changing brushes is really not going to do too much for the motor. So when you add it up, assuming you get a decent motor like a 19 turn that has long runtime (you will probably want it to last a long time between maintenance), initial costs will be lower. But brushless cuts down the maintenance needed that a brushed system incurrs. And I think alot of the systems now can do both so if you must have a brushed motor in the future (ala spec class racing), you can always pick one up.

You can get the mamba system from tower right now for about $190 ish and they have a coupon that lowers the price even more. When you figure in the cost of a lathe, motor, and decent ESC plus motor maintenance, it may be beneficial to give it a try. Also, you do get more runtime.

Your costs up front will probably be more, but, in the long run, it will work out for the better.

I know this, if I ever do electric again, I will only do brushless.

You also mentioned that you will run this at the beach, the sealed brushless motors will probably work better in that environment than the current brushed motors which are open to the environment.

Are you pretty set on the T4RS? You could also look into the Losi XXXT Brushless setup. Comes with a much better radio and of course the brushless setup. I think it may come with a better servo too, not sure (Z590m?).

Its true it will cost more, but, may be cheaper in the long run as far as later on wanting to replace stuff.

If possible, layout what you think you will buy electric wise versus nitro and sum it up.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The T4 servo has the same specs as the Losi one and the Losi Bl truck is as fast as a stock motor. Good deal though, less maintinence and more runtime.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cain, thanks for the tip. I just ordered imex All-T tires and black rims for my RC10GT. They're 5.5" tall!! My measurements show that they will be taller than the body. I'll have to gear down a couple teeth for sure, but it's gonna look stoooopid...!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

The XXX-T brushless sports the novak ss4300. Yes its brushless but I've been researching about it and its comparanble to a 27 turn brushed motor. That's slow compared to the T4RS which sports a 17 turn brushed motor...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Legend

Keep in mind the quality of the 17 turn motor. It may not be as fast as the 17 turn rating would suggest. sort of like a 20 turn stinger is not faster than a race quality stocker. You will also get consistent performance from the brushless unit and I don't think the 17 turn motor is rebuildable so its a run a toss motor.

What is the servo that the T4 is coming with as well as the Losi?

The only thing with the Imex tires is that the foams may not be a donut. You may need to glue the ends of the foam together. Other than that, i really liked them. Especially when I put them on my T4.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Guys, I need your opinion on this one. Is it fine that I get the GT2? I'm a bit hesitant because it doesnt have a reverse. It isnt a big deal, is it (for bashing)?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Legend

Personally, I didn't find it to be an issue. I guess it depends on how often you find your vehicle nose up against something that reverse would be beneficial.

Was it fun with my LST, sure no doubt, but wasn't a deal breaker in my opinion looking at my truggy I got after it which in reality was more for bashing.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Reverse isn't needed, its a little more fun though.