Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tire truers - What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
Best out there? MaxMod if you can find one.
But please remember this is only MY opinion.
Is the maxmod the old one with an abrasive drum, and the 110v motor down below with a belt running up to the head that spins the tire?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Iceracer
Is the maxmod the old one with an abrasive drum, and the 110v motor down below with a belt running up to the head that spins the tire?
Yep, that would be the one.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Iceracer
What kind of hack saw blade did you use? Someone on here mentioned one for cutting tile, but I haven't seen anything like that at our Canadian Tire.
stanley bi metal 18tx12 and to make a peace to go on the truer just hold it with pliers and bend and it breaks so easily,this is the best and the best cost effective way to do this and i like the cut better,tho you have to true tires like it was a com on a motor,a little at a time not 4mm at once.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hudy fo sho.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

The auto Hudy is very nice. It will cut a tire to size in one relatively fast pass which means you can true 4 tires in just a minute or two. It looks sexy and says Hudy on it. That makes for good resale value. I would go as far as saying it is the best truer on the market.

The down side, it's also gonna' run you about $470 bucks. If you have the auto Hudy expect others at the track to ask you to true their tires or as least borrow it. That means it's gonna' get more than it's fair share of ware and tear.

I've got a Hudy 110v hand crank that I picked up used. I got it for a lot less and the tires that come off it look just like the tires that come off my buddies auto Hudy truer.

It just comes down to how much money you have to spend, how many tires you're going to true and how much bench bling you want. If I had more money at the time I probably would have bought the auto Hudy truer.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have owned the Integy, the Corally/Orion, and now the automatic Hudy.

Integy was inexpensive and did the job, but took about 3 passes to get it smooth all the way down to 57-58mm

Corally was better, and could make just one pass, but you had to make a second pass to smooth out the tire and not see truer marks - it finally just died, so i looked at a few more.

My LHS let me the 3Racing to try out, but it still wasn't as strong as the Hudy's I have tried.

I finally buckled down and paid the money for the Hudy Auto truer - all i gotta say is that this is the one I should have first bought. Yes it is expensive, but you literally make one pass, and the tires are perfect. It doesn't bogg down, it just cuts through the tires like butter.....

If you can afford it, Hudy auto truer, if it is just a bit too much to pay for, get a used Corally/Orion - should be able to pick one up for $150-200, and it will work good, but not like the Hudy....

I have learned in this hobby, you don't always get what you pay for, but in this case, you do....
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
Best out there? MaxMod if you can find one.
But please remember this is only MY opinion.
I'll agree with that.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Champion

I used to use a MaxMod back before all these automatic ones came out. With the MaxMod we used was a high RPM model and so it was a bit tricky getting the diameter I wanted because of tire growth with the softer compounds. Also there is a bit of play where the bit mount slides on the rails. Some if not all of the automatic truers use a low RPM which won't have as much of an issue with tire growth. I've since went to the 3Racing automatic tire truer and am very happy with it overall. The only issue I have with it is there are pieces attached to a lever arm to round out the edges of the tire. Cool idea but I have a hard time keeping them even. They plan a new version with a rod connecting the pieces to keep them aligned but I suggested instead to use a clamping piece to start with instead of a set screw and that would solve the problem. Hopefully they'll look more into my idea. I'd also like the bit to be able to cut deeper. As it is it can't quite cut all the way down to the rim on the CRC high roller 1/12th scale rims. This would make removing old foam that was CA glued on easier. But once the foam is off it won't be a problem since I still use the old contact cement method to glue tires.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I still use my maxi-mod.Although I don't race as much as I used to, it's there when I need it.Mine was made special for me back in the days with a stronger motor for doing the European rubber at the time.The blue one didn't cut the mustard for me as it would over heat and shut down.It's nice to have the automatic ones but I just put it on the side and its one cut and done. Lining up the diameter did take some time but it was easy to do.A good used Maximod in the longer boxes in silver that were made for 1/8 tires but for a 1/10th-1/12th car set-up is what I've got(one of the last three made).
Old 01-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
I have owned the Integy, the Corally/Orion, and now the automatic Hudy.

Integy was inexpensive and did the job, but took about 3 passes to get it smooth all the way down to 57-58mm

Corally was better, and could make just one pass, but you had to make a second pass to smooth out the tire and not see truer marks - it finally just died, so i looked at a few more.

My LHS let me the 3Racing to try out, but it still wasn't as strong as the Hudy's I have tried.

I finally buckled down and paid the money for the Hudy Auto truer - all i gotta say is that this is the one I should have first bought. Yes it is expensive, but you literally make one pass, and the tires are perfect. It doesn't bogg down, it just cuts through the tires like butter.....

If you can afford it, Hudy auto truer, if it is just a bit too much to pay for, get a used Corally/Orion - should be able to pick one up for $150-200, and it will work good, but not like the Hudy....

I have learned in this hobby, you don't always get what you pay for, but in this case, you do....

HUDY has always been the standard others are measured against. I have a few of their tools and their All in One Setup Station. I have compared these to others, and yes, there is a difference.

-Steve
Old 01-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

What to look for?
Easy answer for me. Just look for the name HUDY.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With the 3Racing truer, I took the rounding thing off. All it does is collect tire dust. Good idea, but poorly executed. As far as the cutting depth, get a Hudy carbide bit, grind out the holder to fit it with a dremel and you can cut a lot deeper. The motor on it is very strong, I have cut 45 shore touring tires down to 58mm in 1 cut and it barely bogs at all. I had t take the truer apart to tighten everything down 1 time since I have had it, but it cuts good. For half the price of the Hudy, it is worth the money for me.