Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Action

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Is it just me, or are magazines old news? Why pay for news that is anywhere from 1-4 months old, when you can get it live from the internet? Magazines are always at least 1 month behind.. at least.

John
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Magazines are old news because it takes time to write the story put the pictures together print it distribute it, etc. That takes time. The internet is a great medium for info but sometimes its nice to have some tangible reading material of something that interests you not just staring at the warm glow of the monitor.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It's only old news "if" you already knew that the product existed or knew the race results. Not everyone hits All the web sites to get this information. So for for some of us "ignorance is bliss" and we need the magazines to help "us" along..
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
I think my dog just made out with my cat...
Post the video on utube
Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RLS
Absolutely! Nothing digital can match the experience of holding a magazine in your hands. As one of the '5%'ers', I enjoy XRC the most. That Touring Car Shootout was one of the most memorable articles ever and I would love to see more of that. I may not get any driving tips from the mags, but I am interested in reading the details of the adjustments made to the cars to get them handling better. As far as race coverage, XRC does well but I'm usually left wanting more, (and why can't we have ANY coverage of the 1/12th half of the On-Road Worlds?!? ). Admittedly, I'm ignorant to the economics of magazines but it seems to me that if you go to the expense of sending someone to cover a big race wouldn't you want to maximize your ROI by having the most extensive coverage with the most pictures? Can it really be more cost effective to limit the number of pages? Sure I can go online and see who finished where, but what I want to read about is the character of the race. What problems came up, the pranks and horseplay in the pits, new parts and set-ups guys were trying, all the small things that make each race unique and memorable. XRC has done some excellent race coverage and I would like to see it be more the Rule than the exception.
The problem with the Worlds was that the race is 14 days long. I couldn't make it there for 1/12-scale because taking 14 days out of a month to cover the race would be impossible. That's taking half of the time I have to do what I do here (still trying to figure that out) away. So I got there after 1/12-scale. After Italy won the semi final at the world cup, and left the day of the finals. So I missed a lot.

AS mentioned here, our race coverage really doesn't focus on the actual race, but more of the experience and behind the scenes.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimMcClure
Magazines are old news because it takes time to write the story put the pictures together print it distribute it, etc. That takes time. The internet is a great medium for info but sometimes its nice to have some tangible reading material of something that interests you not just staring at the warm glow of the monitor.

And depending on the race and timing, we've had race coverage in, printed and in peoples hands in less than 2 weeks. That's pretty amazing considering it takes a day or so to layout coverage, and 4 days to print the issue.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I only really buy XRC, mainly so I've got something R/C to read on the throne. The quality of article and presentation is superior to the other American mags we get here in Australia, and as an added bonus I don't get buried in a snowdrift of subscription offer flyers when I open the damn thing.

What is it about american mag's and those damn flyers?!

The only time I buy the local Australian mag "Racing Lines" is when they print my name in it

It's really just to have something non-internet to read, I know the mag will be a bit behind, but I can't take the laptop to the 'can

Last edited by Dan the Man; 01-19-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

There is not question, to me, that Car Action is in the gutter.
First, the January issue cover is almost a copy of another publication.
The February issue they mention that they will have a "coming attractions" section on their site and to look for a review on the VTX-MST1 and that the review will be in the nerxt issue. Neither happen.

Someone mentioned that Trinity advertises in their mag. Well, they DO NOT. Not one trinity ad in the new issue. Perhaps that is good, think on the increased pages, of ads that is, the next issue would be.

Now, Trinity & CRC were the "big" sponsors of Cleveland. NEITHER advertise with RCCA, perhaps that is why they gave is two crapy pages.

It is clear, to me, that Car Action is copying Driver and XRC, the 2 best publications in the USA.
If there were only one mag it would be bad for ALL of us, there needs to be competition, friendly if possible, but it needs to be therer to benefit the consumer.
Driver and XRC have 2 different formats and have their pros and cons. I would let my son buy either, a MOM at a grocery store might be offended by XRC, I like the few hot chicks, (she probably goes to church 7 days a week) so she may opt for Driver.

Another issue with Car Action is their failure to cover other events properly. Heck, they have been sponsors of events, and done nothing after telling people at the race they would. This hurst them and everyone involved.

Just my 2 cents

Buy XRC and Driver!!!!! or Driver & XRC!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cuffs didn't want this picture to leak yet but, oh well. Here it is.

Not 1 but 2 drifter cars.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

thats a kick ass bow tie in the bottom row....Orville Redenbacher, eat your heart out.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by punkboy
On the bright side, RC Driver had a 4 page write up on Cleveland! I think they may have had one or two pages of micro drifting...

The write up wasnt much, but at least they had some pictures...

Well I have to leave my 2 cents here and it is really worth 2 cents. I cover some of the touring cars events for Driver magazine. I try to competively race and do the pics and stuff on main day. I'll say it's harder that it looks. Sometimes you can't make an unexciting race on the track an exciting one on paper. On the ok articles I write, I'm not a professional writer but I'm happy that they are giving me the opportunity to do the job. I'm still learning.

I read most of people comments and complaints and for my next race I'll try to get some more worthy reading material out there. As for what they actually print is up to the editors on what they cut and what they print.

Car Action used to be one of my favortie magazines from back in the day, but now it seems to be 80% ads and 20% material. Driver and XRC are probably the only two I actually pick up and read now.

Carissa
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CarissaF
Well I have to leave my 2 cents here and it is really worth 2 cents. I cover some of the touring cars events for Driver magazine. I try to competively race and do the pics and stuff on main day. I'll say it's harder that it looks. Sometimes you can't make an unexciting race on the track an exciting one on paper. On the ok articles I write, I'm not a professional writer but I'm happy that they are giving me the opportunity to do the job. I'm still learning.

I read most of people comments and complaints and for my next race I'll try to get some more worthy reading material out there. As for what they actually print is up to the editors on what they cut and what they print.

Car Action used to be one of my favortie magazines from back in the day, but now it seems to be 80% ads and 20% material. Driver and XRC are probably the only two I actually pick up and read now.

Carissa
Will Driver be convering the Smyka/Figelski wedding? I heard the good news.....
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EViLSouL
Cuffs didn't want this picture to leak yet but, oh well. Here it is.

Not 1 but 2 drifter cars.
They take drifting way to seriously. It must be because the country of Japan is so small. They can't really race the cars because the city streets are so small. Not enough apex in the corners for real racing!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Most people won't appreciate Drifting (as I didn't) until you go to an event and watch the speed and control involved. It's not too easy to drift a car at 90mph 8 feet from a wall and the car in front of you.

If you're a motorsports fan, and can appreciate high HP cars, and skilled driving there should be no hating on drifting.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Most people won't appreciate Drifting (as I didn't) until you go to an event and watch the speed and control involved. It's not too easy to drift a car at 90mph 8 feet from a wall and the car in front of you.

If you're a motorsports fan, and can appreciate high HP cars, and skilled driving there should be no hating on drifting.
Real 1/1 scale drifting YES!! R/C drifting NAA!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.