Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

I run the Xfactory X-5 and love it. It has as much potential at the BJ4 WE but with better availablilty. Greg Hodapp used this buggy to win a national championship so it does have the goods to win. Visit this site and read up on it.

www.4wdrc.com
Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My ZX5 has out run every buggy it has come against at a much cheaper price. It is flawless on our rough outdoor track, hardpacked but really bumpy. The track is designed for 1/8th scale but my ZX-5 has the fastest lap and fastest 5 minute run on that track, it's the only car to beat the 1/8th scales.

On indoor clay it pushes a bit but I havent changed much yet to get it to steer like I want. Sway bar change and caster block change will probably get it close.

I do hate the Kyosho shocks though. I've tried everything to keep it from leaking and the only thing that works is to crank down the caps with a couple wrenches. To me this is not the right way a shock should be so I'll have AE shockws on my car for next season.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

The X-5 has the same suspension as the XX-4 which is legendary for it rough track handling capability. The tracks I run on are rough and rutted and the X-5 just eats them up and keeps going.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Everyone is going to be biased in some way towards each vehicle. I know I really liked my SB Series of vehicles, especially how well it performed against the more expensive vehicles like the BJ4 and the price point was always nice to speak about. So I am a bit biased there. But all the vehicles in the right hands can perform at a high level. Remember its the driver.

Of all the vehicles I have heard about, the one that really puts people into either a love it or hate it camp was the XXX-4. haven't seen people that vocal about a vehicle in a long time.

I would say of the top 3 you listed, ask yourself this:

1. How important to you is shaft drive versus belt?
2. Do you feel you need a vehicle that has titles behind it?
3. How important is a proven durability record?
4. How important is it to have parts readily on hand versus having to order?
5. Do you like being different at the track by running a unique vehicle?

Give yourself honest answers and apply this to the vehicle choices you have there before you. For me at least, durability is probably the most important thing then performance. Thats not to say it needs to drive like a tank as well as be tough as one. But if I can't make it around the track for the entire race, all the $500 hopup parts won't make a difference.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I do hate the Kyosho shocks though. I've tried everything to keep it from leaking and the only thing that works is to crank down the caps with a couple wrenches. To me this is not the right way a shock should be so I'll have AE shockws on my car for next season.
Dude,

Theres a different set of shock o rings you can get to fix the issue. Part number KY-ORG03X Mini Inferno X-ring for Oil Shock. This stops all probs with the shocks leaking.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have never had a prob w/ mine leaking. They are still the exact same ones it came w/....
Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just searched and this thread came up ... I am in the middle of the same decision. So far from what I'm reading it is only a problem if I have to order parts (which I hate )

Also no one else runs 4wd ep by me.

The pros I like are shaft drive and a very reputable name.

BIG questions I have , Granted I have not searched this yet but I am going to :

1.) WHAT lipo will work in this chassis with no mods?

2.) I want to run the Orion platinum . Does this look like a problem for me?

3.) If the only problem so far with this buggy is the shocks and since Tune71 has so kindly posted a replacement part I feel I am leaning towards this as my first 4wd buggy. Kinda wanted the xxx4g but not seeing a lot of people pushing it. Also I'm not positive but I thought I heard that Losi is discontinuing it. ( possibly a new 4wd on the way?)

And last question does the ZX-5 come with rims and tires or is it the same ol' Kyosho and they say F that?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

LiPo will fix in zx5. Save your self some $, and get a even better LiPo maxamps batt.
Zx5 comes w/ wheels, but I dont remember it coming w/ tires. I honestly wish all kit wouldnt come w/ tires. Why spend the extra money on something you never use. I have a bunch of new kit tires that just collect dust.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you sir for your info.

I ask about the tires and wheels only cause its a way of "testing" the drive train and setting of the esc with a set of "shit rubber"

I will look into this maxx amps lipo that you speak of. Again thanks for the info.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well both BJ4 World's and Losi XX4 World's are very good 4wd's.

I run the XX4.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default bj4

i was in the same boat and i decided to get a bj4 because i could get one right away new and it cant be that bad of a buggy being that it is the world champ
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmmm reading more and more I am torn between the :

BJ4 Worlds Edition

Kyosho ZX-5

Could someone post some nice pics of the BJ4 Worlds Edition ?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

It a saddlepack car so you are going to have a hard time finding Lipo's for it. One main reason I didnt get that one. Other than that, you would be happy w/ either one.

Here is my K car.
Attached Thumbnails Whats the best 4WD buggy out there?-zx5-1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

BJ4 is a great car, but if you want something similar but a bit different (and very fast!) have a look at the Atomic-Carbon S4 conversion for the BJ4

http://www.doughtyuk.net/index.php?pid=30
Old 01-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default max amps lipos

you can get lipos from max amps in saddle packs ,also you can see lots of pics of the bj4 on rc10b4.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.