sts engine

Old 03-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by racerchan
looks like you are the blind supporter here. you worship pops and not the facts.
"the engine is slow" - pops should not be comparing a second hand engine in the first place. it's just not fair. can you buy a second hand engine and start comparing it with others and give your comment that even it's too slow for your 8 yr old boy. Is that fair comment ? It's misleading as well as unfair.
crap engine I am comparing it to the RS3 and RS5 which showed they are well worth the money for it's speed and durability.
glad that you understand that finally everybody's in agreement here.

I am just hoping the poor 8 yr old little guy doesn't remember this incident and buy pops a second hand walking stick or wheelchair when pops grows much older.

ed
RACERCHAN. give up now! you have this whole thread down on you. You talk like you were in the R&D department and helped develop this engine. why don't you justSHUT UP !!!! As far as you having a son do us a favor get nutered.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by modellor
I think you need to go back and start re-reading this thread. Popsracer stated that the STS engine had only done 1 race so to me a break in and one race would suggest the engine is fairly new . I would also say that the other engines he referred it against are a lot older than this.

And if you would care to take the time to read the thread you would see that the engine is going a lot better now that the head was raised
if you care to go back and read the thread again, YOU would not be making so much assumptions.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Red face racerchan;

Old 03-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Thanks ronin8451,

DC is from Lilydale - a large 1/8 th scale track and typically the "lesser/cheaper" engines don't do as well there. How long is the back straight at Lilydale, DC?

Our local track (Dandeong) is smaller and more technical and sheer top end power is less of an issue.
It is approx 70m long (200+ft), but remember I'm the one running the Std Pixie, its only now that i'm getting to the real pointy end that i feel a few more horsies may be required.

DC
Old 03-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey guys ive tried the sts rs12 hand mod it is pretty fast. ive
also tried the mt12 version blue head and that version is
a little lacking on the mid and top end.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by racerchan
looks like you are the blind supporter here. you worship pops and not the facts.
"the engine is slow" - pops should not be comparing a second hand engine in the first place. it's just not fair. can you buy a second hand engine and start comparing it with others and give your comment that even it's too slow for your 8 yr old boy. Is that fair comment ? It's misleading as well as unfair.
crap engine I am comparing it to the RS3 and RS5 which showed they are well worth the money for it's speed and durability.
glad that you understand that finally everybody's in agreement here.

I am just hoping the poor 8 yr old little guy doesn't remember this incident and buy pops a second hand walking stick or wheelchair when pops grows much older.

ed
racerchan,
You seem preoccupied with Popsracer's "fairness" but fail to recognise your lack of same.
Pop's has laid out his concerns with the engine together with the background circumstances of the purchase and offered up observations and comparisons he has made. We gentle readers can thus take an objective view of his findings, make some judgements of our own, ask some pertinent questions and maybe offer some suggestions - it's a Forum - that's what we are doing here.

The only way this could be "fair" is for Pop's to purchase a dyno along with 10 MT12's and establish a benchmark as to what might be expected from an average new engine, then compare the output to his. I don't imagine he's going to do this - are you?

And now to you . .
Just where do you get off saying that this is a grap engine . . for heavens sake, you haven't even used one. Now that's unfair, maybe even defamatory. I think you need to buy 10 engines and a dyno and prove him wrong.
Given you are keen to be fair, edit your comments re" Pop's son, please. They have no place here.

And lastly to Michael . . .
Take a look at this kid - he looks pretty happy to me. My son has already agreed that when wheelchair time comes for me, it will have a gas engine.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jwf_frani
hey guys ive tried the sts rs12 hand mod it is pretty fast. ive
also tried the mt12 version blue head and that version is
a little lacking on the mid and top end.
Thanks jwf_frani,

That's just what we wanted to hear.

Maybe racerchan will read your post . . . like we could stop him, eh.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by Corse-R
Here at Spain, JP (S3 versions) are being constantly spanked by other killers.... Basically RB 'Rody' and Novarossi 'dremeled' S3 versions.

Is a engine that shows their age (don't forget that has been in the market for two years). What spanked competition yesterday, tasted their own medicine and don't likes it.

Some rumours say that JP Calandreau will release the 2003 version of their modified just in time for the Vila Real 200mm Touring Euros (In few words: their engines are illegal under strict EFRA rules).

For not being completely off-topic. Wanting to order an S3 engine, where on Europe I can find a on-line shop to order them?. What about spares?
Yes, our JP is really last years news. I'm trying to decide on a new one.
The S3-JP's don't actually look to be a major step forward. One of our local guys (JordanC) took to a Nova S3 with a dremel and it "woke up" very well.
I presume your reference to the RB 'Rody' is the three port legal version, yeah?
S3's are readily available in Australia and I had presumed, world wide.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by popsracer
I honestly didn't expect the STS MT12 to be a rocket, but I surely expected it to be alot faster than the HPI .15FE that he was racing with previously. I have driven both cars many times so I know all too well. ALL of our engines are 3 port NON-Turbos, some Rear some Side Exhaust. So this is what I am comparing to.

The person that I bought the STS from is a good Friend and I trust his word (used for one race). He let me pull the head to check the piston and sleeve before I bought it, and He did tell me that he thought the engine was "not FAST enough", but this was running it on a large permanent track, and I figured it would be great for my Son's new Reflex NT on the parking lot tracks that we normally race on.
Now Racerchan,
I would have thought a new MT12 of any type would be faster than a used HPI 15FE.
Do I need to say more.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by OZDC
It is approx 70m long (200+ft), but remember I'm the one running the Std Pixie, its only now that i'm getting to the real pointy end that i feel a few more horsies may be required.

DC
70 metres, eh . . . longer than I would have thought.

But your Pixie is one of the ones that screams just fine, but having seen Chris Reades car, er . . yeah.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Yes, our JP is really last years news. I'm trying to decide on a new one.
The S3-JP's don't actually look to be a major step forward. One of our local guys (JordanC) took to a Nova S3 with a dremel and it "woke up" very well.
I presume your reference to the RB 'Rody' is the three port legal version, yeah?
S3's are readily available in Australia and I had presumed, world wide.
In fact, RB 'Rody' mods are so powerful that I have a JP S3 on their original box and unbroken-in that I plan to sell it. Two weeks ago 'dremeled' a Nova S3 for a buddy and after break-in it opened the hells door (too good, mental note: don't do too well. Put me on problems at nats...)

RB have two 3 port modifieds, 215 model with turbo button is in fact the most powerful of RB 3 port modifieds (the other, 235 model is for EFRA race rules, a slightly less powerful, but quite good too).
Old 03-17-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Here at Spain, JP (S3 versions) are being constantly spanked by other killers.... Basically RB 'Rody' and Novarossi 'dremeled' S3 versions.

Is a engine that shows their age (don't forget that has been in the market for two years). What spanked competition yesterday, tasted their own medicine and don't likes it.

Some rumours say that JP Calandreau will release the 2003 version of their modified just in time for the Vila Real 200mm Touring Euros (In few words: their engines are illegal under strict EFRA rules).

For not being completely off-topic. Wanting to order an S3 engine, where on Europe I can find a on-line shop to order them?. What about spares?
Dang, I guess I better cancel my spot for the Euros. Those guys running the JP's will be flying
Cant see the new 03 version being much better to be honest. But then again I will have killer engines in my car for it too.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

RB have two 3 port modifieds, 215 model with turbo button is in fact the most powerful of RB 3 port modifieds (the other, 235 model is for EFRA race rules, a slightly less powerful, but quite good too).
Hmmm . . OK.
The new IFMAR rules as at November '02 now permit conical plugs, it seems, together with some other changes.
Will EFRA fall into line on these rules before the Euro's. Also, EFRA has some strange 5.0mm carb rule or something, doesn't it?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Pops,
My hats is off to ya! Getting your son involved in the sport is just awesome! The fun factor really gets good when you see him having fun at it. hope to meet you both someday!
Smitty
Old 03-17-2003, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Hmmm . . OK.
The new IFMAR rules as at November '02 now permit conical plugs, it seems, together with some other changes.
Will EFRA fall into line on these rules before the Euro's. Also, EFRA has some strange 5.0mm carb rule or something, doesn't it?
Nope.... EFRA rules state some ruling about the engine, basically are:

- Engines must have 4 ports (including exhaust).
- Exhaust transfer height: Unlimited (rather than the 4.5mm that ROAR specifies).
- 7mm max of crank passage.
- End of crank passage should be perfectly round with none chamfer breaking the end (a little tolerance is admitted - 0.5mm max). Actual JP crank is illegal, but the actual Novarossi crank is legal.
- Conical glowplugs allowed.
- 5.5mm max diameter of the carburetor.
- 5.2mm max diameter of the exhaust stinger and 82dB max spl measured at 1 meter of distance.
- 10mm long (minimum) of the exhaust stinger.
- Fuel should have a maximum of 16% nitro.
- INS box enforced.

Is a quick and rough draft of what is allowed under EFRA rules, but probably enough to make you an idea of the rules that apply to the engine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.