Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Build it yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Build it yourself.

I was wondering if anyone has made their own off-road nitro truck/buggy from scratch. If you have can you please post me some tips on what I will need to start with and if there is a manual of all the parts that I need. I do not feel like buying another unassembled kit, I feel like buying all the parts sepriatly and building it myself. I would appreciate any help.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i dont think its possible to make your self a competative car from scratch
you will be much better off just buying a kit
it will probobly cost less in the long run aswell
Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

that's _kind of_ what the X5 is, isn't it? starts with a base x4 and uses parts form the xxx4, and some AE parts...

it's a mutt. a very good mutt.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i'm sorry but I find the question "if there is a manual of all the parts that I need" kind of funny, if your building it from scratch, you can do what ever you want, look at current cars on the market, and take ideas that you like from them, and put them all together, and make it all work togehter, you wont know what all you need until you start putting it together,
Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

losi, ae, xray, mugen, etc.. all put 100's of thousands of dollars into research and design and milling for their models. you could do something like the jconcept bj4 but as far as building one from complete scratch to be competitive i doubt it.

kyle
Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Unless you have contacts, or an unlimited budget, sourcing a car without using AE/Losi/Mugen/etc parts is just about impossible. I guess with an engineering degree and the right cnc shop located in your garage you could pull it off.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You are much better off buying a kit. Will be much, much, much cheaper in the end

Cheers
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am convertering my Nitro X-Cellerator to a inboard motor electric truck. I call it the Team Kassanova Scorpion.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Suspended

well asking for a manual to do something that someone has designed is the same as buying an unassembled kit. if you were to buy each part you need seperately for say a 2wd buggy it will cost you almost 500 dollars. not sure why you want to go that route when a kit is about 200. if you needing a manual your not building your own car your building someone else's car design. not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish here. just the tranny parts alone will hit 100 or more depending on what quality of bearing you use for one of the proven cars. shocks will be almost 85 to 100. if money is no issue then find a chunk of titanium and carve out your on chassis and then just keep going.

curious to see what you do with all this.

let us know when you land.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Bud
Tech Master

This is by far the coolest scratch built truck I've ever seen. No.. I didn't build it. Wish I had the skill to have built it. Anyway, check it out.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=167129