Wiki Posts
Search

Super Size discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Super Size discussion

Guys;

Didn't run the Super this past weekend. The previous time (2 weeks ago) there was too much dust and the Foams didn't work. Probably going to race it on our Large Permanent Track from now on with the Foams, but my racing schedule is full for the rest of this month racing all of my other cars.

So far the Fantom has been very impressive.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Cool

Old 04-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Up
Old 04-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

down
Old 04-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ran the super last night.... Just love bashing around with this car...
Old 04-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Suspended

I'm looking into getting a super nitro and I want to put one of my spare nova-based engines in the car. I've got a nice modded motor I don't use and it's got a pilot shaft crank.

Is there any way to make the hpi setup with the flywheel and clutch and clutchbell all fit on a SG crank?

And does anyone have an engineless SN they wanna sell?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

jpilone, use an ofna clutch nut and everything else will fit on the SG shaft.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey fellas, i need some advice. i setup the car all stock (new) and the car had terrible rear traction. here is my current setup

FRONT:
green progressive springs
80wt shock oil/#3 pistons
1 degree toe out
0.5 degrees camber
Kyosho super 10 treaded narrow tires

REAR:
rear red progressive.
40 wt shock oil #3 pistons
1 degree toe in
0.5 degree camber
kyosho super 10 treaded WIDE tires

the car now is a lot more neutral but cornering is still very bad. im thinking of changing the front oil to 60 and maybe try different tires or the proline foams.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default terrible rear traction

compuatic;

Your set-up is OK except for a few things that are probably causing your problem.

FRONT:
green progressive springs. should be OK
80wt shock oil/#3 pistons. Change to 45wt
1 degree toe out. I always run -0- Toe
0.5 degrees camber. good
Kyosho super 10 treaded narrow tires. These Tires do not grip much better than the Stock Super tires. Try HPI 27R or 33R depending on the Track temperature

REAR:
rear red progressive. Good
40 wt shock oil #3 pistons. Good
1 degree toe in. ALWAYS use the "2" degree Rear Hubs
0.5 degree camber. No more than this
kyosho super 10 treaded WIDE tires. Same as above. Use the inserts that come with the HPI Tires in most cases.

Hope these help.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

pops, definetly helps thanks. ill try the changes. should i try the proline super foams or just go with the 33R tires ?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

I don't race an HPI car, but a couple things that I see that might help are:

Tires. pops already covered this.
I dunno about 45 weight oil and 3 hole pistons. I think the car will be too bouncy. I'd prolly go 45 weight with 2 hole pistons or 60 weight with 3 hole if the suspension isn't reacting fast enough.
Don't be afraid to crank up the camber. You will get more steering with this up to a point. I'd start with 1 degree all around and add negative camber in 1/2 degree increments to see what the effect is. In some situations, I run 2.5 to 3 degrees of camber up front to get enough steering.

You might also consider running a front one-way or stiffening up the rear end of the car. If you take away traction from the back, you'll get more steering.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by compuatic
pops, definetly helps thanks. ill try the changes. should i try the proline super foams or just go with the 33R tires ?
As a general rule, if the correct Rubber Tires for the surface don't grip well, foams are usually worse. If your hooked up on Rubber, Foams will be faster.

In ALL of the HPI Nitro cars that we owned. Have NEVER been able to run more than 0.5 degs on Camber in the rear sucessfully.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi again,
I was going to get rid of my SN but due to the circumstaces I'm stuck with it. So I want to squeeze everything from it(which isn't actualy pretty much). My question is how much HP can it actually handle. It's stock from front to rear but I'm plannig to build an upper deck which would make it a little more rigid. Pls help because i'm realy desperate!!! 10x in advance
Old 04-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Speed De

I'm not sure what you mean by "how much can it handle." If you mean horsepower and performance, it's a good car. The only super size car that has better handling is the Tamiya TGR, but the HPI is much stronger and more durable. We have traditionally had a very strong Superten class here in the Bay Area and there were guys running big block .15's in their HPI cars and they ran fine. I don't recall hearing of any problems with parts wearing or anything breaking as the result of running high hp engines. In a big crash, you're obviously likely to break more parts due to higher speeds. I say, give the car a chance. If I were going out to buy a Superten car today, I would buy the HPI. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but my feeling is that it is the best nitro car HPI has made.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the answer. I'll try to think of something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.