Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are all air filters created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Are all air filters created equal?

My LHS has been out of my preferred .12 engine air filter and filter oil for about three months now. I've been looking online for a suitable replacement and I just can't make up my mind on what to buy. RB, Skyline, GQ, Serpent, Racer's Edge - are they all the same or is there really a difference between them? What about filter oil?

What I noticed about the filters I'm currently using, is that the foam will start to seperate from the base if I clean them more than once or twice. I'm certainly not going to glue them down!

What do you guys think? Any preferences? See any difference in performance between different brands of filters or types of filters?

Thanks,
Rainer
Old 01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

I use the Skyline filters and their oil. I've had no problem. I clean them with simply green and hot water.

Mark
Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I've had good luck with a motorsaver filter. The foam insert starts to harden after about a year of use. I wash my air filter at least once a week. As far as oil I use ofna brand. You just want the oil a little tacky. I plan on buying a quart of motocycle air filter oil should last me forever. Hope this help.

Last edited by lil-bump; 01-10-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use the GQ filters. The do not seperate from the base like the other brands. The base is also a lot better in my opinion. You do not need to zip tie them. You can pick up the whole car by the air filter and it will not come off. Their exhaust header gaskets are also the most durable that I have found. I go through a lot of them usually, but since I have been using the GQ ones, I have only used 2. Good stuff. Did i mention they make the best tires also?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the GQ filters too RMd , and they do a great job without needing the ziptie.
And they come in a sexy orange coloured base too
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I found that if I use brake clean to clean the air filter that the base will seperate from the filter. If I use fast orange it will not seperate.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
I use the GQ filters. The do not seperate from the base like the other brands. The base is also a lot better in my opinion. You do not need to zip tie them. You can pick up the whole car by the air filter and it will not come off. Their exhaust header gaskets are also the most durable that I have found. I go through a lot of them usually, but since I have been using the GQ ones, I have only used 2. Good stuff. Did i mention they make the best tires also?
GQ Enough said
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

i like GQ as well. i won them in a raffle and have stuck with them. they fit tight and thats important to me.

but the box said use them once. does anyone do that?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I reuse them about three race days with a cleaning in between each race day.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input guys.

Some of you know that I just love that GQ orange I guess under the base of the foam filter is better than on the tires.

"One time use" is such an ambiguous term. How many hours does that translate into? What happens if you practice for 1 hour and go home versus practice and race for 4 hours on a particular day? Does that mean you can practice 1 hour for 3 more days?

I've always been reluctant to wash with soap as I'm worried that I won't rinse it well enough and I'll suck in residual particles into the engine. If you use fuel (yes, i know, at $25 a gallon ) it cleans up really quick and it's no biggie.

How soon after using the filter are you cleaning it?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Doc

I was writing while you were posting.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RMD
What brand filter have you been using?
I've been using Motorsaver filters for past ten years
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoyU
I've been using Motorsaver filters for past ten years
Really?! I guess I'm going to have to try them out also.

Which filter are you using? - http://www.motorsaverfilters.com/

What oil are you using?

lil-bump - Which Motorsaver filter are you using??

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-11-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Well...I guess I have no choice but to buy and try them all and see which one I like best.

Thanks again,
Rainer
Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some of the guys I have done motors for have had some debris injestion problems due poor filter maint. and oiling. I highly recommend using motorcycle foam filter oil like Belray. It doesn't take much oil to service the filter and no debris can get past it. IMO the oil that comes with the filters pulls through to easily. If the filter isn't serviced enough piston and liner wear shortens the engine life. I carry 2 filters per race weekend. 1 for practice and a couple of quals and the other the last qual and the main. I clean them in automotive solvent first and then wash them out with hot soapy waster and rinse with hot water, carefully blow out with air and let it sit until dry before oiling. I know it sounds like overkill but so is the price of a replacement engine!
- Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.