Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short Stubby antennas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Short Stubby antennas.

Quite a lot of people seems to have nice neat short stubby antennas these days, i.e, mugen, RRR,g4s.......is it the type of frequency of reciever to let you run such short antenners or do they not need to be that long to be effective, as mines really long and hate it.

I've only got a cheap standard 27mhz receiver with 400mm wire, can i wrap it up and only use short rod instead?

Cheers
Adam
Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

spektrum.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thought as much, just wanted to confirm...so i'm stuck with the long dangly thing,damn.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supermoto552
Quite a lot of people seems to have nice neat short stubby antennas these days, i.e, mugen, RRR,g4s.......is it the type of frequency of reciever to let you run such short antenners or do they not need to be that long to be effective, as mines really long and hate it.

I've only got a cheap standard 27mhz receiver with 400mm wire, can i wrap it up and only use short rod instead?

Cheers
Adam
The higher the frequency the shorter the antenna.

To compute for a full wavelength of the antenna in meters is -
The speed of light 299,793,077 meters per second divide it by the frequency [per second] in megahertz is equal to 1 full wavelength of antenna.

A 27 MHz frequency antenna is longer than the 75 MHz frequency antenna.

So using a spektrum 2.4 GHz frequency antenna is shorter than the 27 MHz and 75MHz frequency antennas.

And that's a FACT.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run no antenna out of my body. Thats a fact. Check the spektrum manual for how short you can trim these guys. I forget since its been so long , but you can go very short without much loss on range. And they say the point to where you would loose range on a spektrum it would be the size of a dot and pretty much undrivable in the first place.

So yeah. The downfall to spektrum is its an added latency to your radio. So fm and am are superior to it in response. So anyone who says spektrum is better in the retrospect read wrong.

The good thing about spektrum is short antennaes and really no intereference and no more frequency clips. I turn my car on during a race and play around all I want. Best thing since sliced frequency bread.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i use a pice of fuel tube to hold my antenna tube in place and as i run spectrum with a short antenna the added bonus is that the tube flexes to make it easy to run inside the body!
No more broken antenna tubes that can tear out the antenna wire
Attached Thumbnails Short Stubby antennas.-att2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

So, what they are saying is, the ones you see using a very short antenna, or no apparent antenna at all(its there, under the body), are using the new band(not so new), 2.4GHz. As it's waveleght is smaler on amplitude(SP?), the antenna needed to capture it don't need to be like an AM or FM antenna on lenght. Right?

Specktrum, Nomadio and Futaba have these radios now.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, i understand now, i realised most were using spectrum these days, but didn't realise the wavelength was so high, never really looked into them until now.

Guess i'll have to get saving and looking on ebay, they ain't in my price range at the moment.

Cheers for eveyones input on this one and clearly explaining, thanks again.

Adam